Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 17, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #82,981 of 148,552
Doesn't metal housing provide some EMI shielding that is desirable for audio gear?

Now that's an industrial look! 😅 The green would drive me away, though. Green is for tractors only.

Do you like this particular headphone jack? I find it annoying to use and it looks dated to me.
I have to admit, I like that style of headphone jack.

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #82,982 of 148,552
So, basically, he spoiled it for the rest of us?
I might listen to suggestions on wood type, unless the splinters are dangerous or sawing the wood exposes you to certain mold spores.😉

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #82,983 of 148,552
Doesn't metal housing provide some EMI shielding that is desirable for audio gear?

Now that's an industrial look! 😅 The green would drive me away, though. Green is for tractors only.

Do you like this particular headphone jack? I find it annoying to use and it looks dated to me.
The transformer has a cover on it. No green to be seen.

And fortunately @Paladin79 is color blind and sent Carolina blue as shown. Duke blue would have had to be painted over with, oh, maybe green. :laughing:

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #82,984 of 148,552
The transformer is Russian military.

I like Neutrik, I have never had one fail. RCA jacks are Neutrik as well. I want to say Bill sent me select IEC sockets and tube sockets.
...and some Mundorfs and Rikens and wire, not that I have any preferences or anything. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #82,985 of 148,552
Oct 17, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #82,986 of 148,552
The transformer has a cover on it. No green to be seen.

And fortunately @Paladin79 is color blind and sent Carolina blue as shown. Duke blue would have had to be painted over with, oh, maybe green. :laughing:
Carolina/Duke, practically the same thing. Some things are synonymous like bar-b-cue and Texas.😁

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #82,987 of 148,552
Hi guys, sorry for being out so long.
My old bosses at DWB (doctors without borders) found out they could guilt and manipulate me training doctors going into heavy duty, without paying me.
So there I am. Brushing up my best pashto and teaching hi emergency amputations.......
Of course I listen to music too. Like this one:
I'll try to be here more often.
I think you need a serious thinking someone here now and again.

Good to see you Doc, thanks for checking in. How's your new feline?

Oct 17, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #82,988 of 148,552
As a small update to a discussion from a few weeks ago about CD players sounding better than streaming, I verified that the Bluesound Node 2i and my Samsung BD-H5900 are bit perfect. Recording the SPDIF out of the Node 2i playing a ripped CD as a FLAC file on an attached USB stick produces exactly the same bits. Playing the original CD in the blu ray player results in some initial differences for maybe 300 samples (< 7 ms), then it is identical.
When I ripped CDs, I didn't always get the same initial bits, either, at least the data shifted a bit from attempt to attempt, so I think CDs are just funny this way. For all intents and purposes, playing the CD using the blu ray player and playing it using the streamer produces the same bits, which is what I hoped and expected, so that's good.
Also depending on the album you may get a similar result with streaming services, where the initial bits may differ a bit but the rest is identical.
The album I tested is Lindsay Lou - Southland. Playing the CD or streaming it via Amazon Music and Qobuz yields the same bits, minus some very brief and thus neglectable initial differences per song.

What's a bit sad is that the blu ray player does not support playing FLAC or WAV files from an attached USB stick (or burned CD), only MP3 and WMA, so I cannot compare the blu ray player using an audio CD vs. a USB stick as a source, because it wouldn't produce the same bits each way, and I don't think there's a point in comparing it reading an MP3 from a USB stick vs. from a CD since reading a data CD like that is a very different mode of operation than playing an audio CD.
I also don't want to bother with checking what the player can do over the network, so I'll only compare it as a CD player vs. the streamer.

What's kind of neat is that the blu ray player can rip CDs to an attached USB stick, but only as MP3, with no control over any settings, so it's not actually useful to me. This definitely happens at higher than 1X speed.

Oct 18, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #82,990 of 148,552
As a small update to a discussion from a few weeks ago about CD players sounding better than streaming, I verified that the Bluesound Node 2i and my Samsung BD-H5900 are bit perfect. Recording the SPDIF out of the Node 2i playing a ripped CD as a FLAC file on an attached USB stick produces exactly the same bits. Playing the original CD in the blu ray player results in some initial differences for maybe 300 samples (< 7 ms), then it is identical.
When I ripped CDs, I didn't always get the same initial bits, either, at least the data shifted a bit from attempt to attempt, so I think CDs are just funny this way. For all intents and purposes, playing the CD using the blu ray player and playing it using the streamer produces the same bits, which is what I hoped and expected, so that's good.
Also depending on the album you may get a similar result with streaming services, where the initial bits may differ a bit but the rest is identical.
The album I tested is Lindsay Lou - Southland. Playing the CD or streaming it via Amazon Music and Qobuz yields the same bits, minus some very brief and thus neglectable initial differences per song.

What's a bit sad is that the blu ray player does not support playing FLAC or WAV files from an attached USB stick (or burned CD), only MP3 and WMA, so I cannot compare the blu ray player using an audio CD vs. a USB stick as a source, because it wouldn't produce the same bits each way, and I don't think there's a point in comparing it reading an MP3 from a USB stick vs. from a CD since reading a data CD like that is a very different mode of operation than playing an audio CD.
I also don't want to bother with checking what the player can do over the network, so I'll only compare it as a CD player vs. the streamer.

What's kind of neat is that the blu ray player can rip CDs to an attached USB stick, but only as MP3, with no control over any settings, so it's not actually useful to me. This definitely happens at higher than 1X speed.
That confirms my expectation and belief of a technically oriented person. However, in my setup still all sources (CD, Qobuz/ROON, Qobuz/Audirvana) sounds differently. So what causes it? Some weird EMI / RFI or what? For the record, I play Rotel CD -> Yggy SPDIF or MacMini -> Qobuz / ROON -> PI2AES -> Yggy AES or MacMini -> Qobuz / Audirvana -> Yggy Unison USB. CD still rules them all. Differences are not huge, but quite easily noticeable.

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #82,991 of 148,552
That confirms my expectation and belief of a technically oriented person. However, in my setup still all sources (CD, Qobuz/ROON, Qobuz/Audirvana) sounds differently. So what causes it? Some weird EMI / RFI or what? For the record, I play Rotel CD -> Yggy SPDIF or MacMini -> Qobuz / ROON -> PI2AES -> Yggy AES or MacMini -> Qobuz / Audirvana -> Yggy Unison USB. CD still rules them all. Differences are not huge, but quite easily noticeable.
That's a good question. One thing is that I only checked these specific devices and none of yours. We can't say for certain that yours are all bit perfect as well without checking.

Different devices produce different levels of jitter and electrical noise. Supposedly the more jitter the DAC has to remove, the more noise it produces itself.

In your case, using different interfaces is another compounding variable. I use a Mutec MC-3+ USB reclocker in my main system, fed by a TOSLINK switch. I tried all outputs the MC-3+ USB has into the Yggdrasil OG and preferred BNC (I did not compare USB). But if different inputs can sound different, presumably outputs can as well, even on the same device.

And then there are cables. The RCA and BNC coax cables I used are comparable, same cable, same lengths, just different connectors - but RCA is known not to be ideal when you want to maintain 75 Ohm. The AES cable I tried is also from BlueJeans and also 5 ft long, but of course a different cable with an extra conductor and 110 Ohm. And TOSLINK is a wholly different technology (does not apply in your scenario). When I compared short HDMI cables for I²S use between a Singxer SU-1 KTE and a Holo Audio Spring 2 KTE I also heard differences. Basically there is no way to make things perfectly identical when using different input types.

Then there is the matter of cable length. Electrical or optical, attenuation can play a role, or noise picked up along the way, and there can even be flipped bits. A 25 ft TOSLINK cable I have was mostly bit perfect, but not quite. Even with more reasonable lengths, I've read claims about the possibility of reflections if the impedance isn't quite right (hence the 5 ft length, though from what I understand that recommendation is dependent on the sample rate, and thus the signal frequency, and thus the wave length).

For my comparison, I'll move the source end of a 5 ft RCA to BNC cable between the two devices to keep that part completely identical. I briefly thought about getting an Inday TOSLINK/coax switch that I had my eye on for a while anyway. One variant of it has an RS232 interface that I could theoretically use with an ABX testing tool. But that's an active device, so it itself is likely to reduce the differences between the sources somewhat, so that actually doesn't make sense for this test. At best I should use a passive switch, but I don't think one for analog signals (like the Schiit SYS) is actually advisable and switches for BNC seem incredibly rare, leaving various F-type switches as an option. But then you read about insertion loss and it becomes clear I wouldn't really be comparing what I'm trying to compare - how different these two devices sound when directly connected to a DAC in the same way.

So basically everything matters a little bit, it would seem. I wouldn't even be dismayed to hear differences.
What I'm really hoping is that I can make them disappear with a reclocker, and possibly additionally by using the TOSLINK out of the streamer instead of coax and converting the coax out of the Blu Ray player to TOSLINK. Start with a bit perfect signal, use TOSLINK for perfect electrical isolation, and finally use a reclocker to treat jitter.
I can compare all that treatment stuff even with the same source, ultimately, but it would be more fun with two different sources that produce the same bits, but sound different.

Since the sources are bit perfect, in principle I should be able to eliminate/drastically reduce all differences this way - except for the absolute speed. All reclockers have to adapt to the source speed, otherwise you'd need a considerable buffer, which is problematic in conjunction with separately reproduced video. A universally useful audio reclocker would have to be a video reclocker as well to keep things in sync, but with the various types of data transferred over HDMI in conjunction with copy protection that's definitely not trivial.

I could create a test signal that is exactly 1 hour long, play it twice or more from each source, and record the analog output of an attached DAC with an ADC to check whether the sources have absolute speed differences, just to try and account for that. Hm, I'd have to burn it to a CD, I suppose. 😄 Been a long time.

No, I don't have a life, thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #82,992 of 148,552
I might listen to suggestions on wood type, unless the splinters are dangerous or sawing the wood exposes you to certain mold spores.😉
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3740958/

This is the best known relationship. I have seen some cases of coughing up blood from Cryptogenic Organizing Pneumonia from exposure to dark tropical wood dust. That was only two cases and there have been no other reports in the medical literature.

Probably best to have a dust control system and wear an N95 mask when generating a lot of dust from colored woods

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #82,993 of 148,552
I might listen to suggestions on wood type
I want something with Mappa Burl...

20211018_022342.jpg

http://www.lumenwhite.com/whitelighta_uk.html

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #82,994 of 148,552
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #82,995 of 148,552
I had visions of build a "Little Nellie" once. [Edit, wrong movie! But Ken Wallace was also a fascinating guy] A couple of friends had BD5s them and loved them. One of my instructors test flew the re-engined prop prototype.

Yes, built by Steve Wolf and Delma Benjamin - the guy flying it! It's now owned by Kermit Weeks at his museum in FL. Kermit also commissioned Kevin Kimball to build the replica GB Z and also owns a GB Y.

There are some videos, but they only seem to be on FB.
"Little Nellie" from one of my top two Bond films, "You Only Live Twice"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back