Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 1, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #81,286 of 148,642
basic problem with Class D is that due the switching nature of the topology, lots of high frequency energy is created, and must be filtered out (unless you want it to sound really bad.) The filter design depends not only on the amplifier's output stage, but the characteristics (resistance, and multiple frequency dependent reactive components) of the load (speaker drivers, crossover). that's why class D can work in 'self-powered' monitors (where the load characteristics are locked down and controlled, typically with an active crossover and separate amplifiers tailored to each driver), but not as well in full-range amplifier only configurations unless the filter is over-built (read large physical size and cost).

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #81,288 of 148,642
basic problem with Class D is that due the switching nature of the topology, lots of high frequency energy is created, and must be filtered out (unless you want it to sound really bad.) The filter design depends not only on the amplifier's output stage, but the characteristics (resistance, and multiple frequency dependent reactive components) of the load (speaker drivers, crossover). that's why class D can work in 'self-powered' monitors (where the load characteristics are locked down and controlled, typically with an active crossover and separate amplifiers tailored to each driver), but not as well in full-range amplifier only configurations unless the filter is over-built (read large physical size and cost).
Indeed. It is easy to build a Class D amplifier; it is difficult to make it sound good.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #81,290 of 148,642
Given their previous statements about not wanting to pursue Class D, that size chassis would be very limited in terms of heat dissipation for Class A or AB (including Continuity), so if they did make one, it would be really low wattage...
How about keeping the footprint fixed and increase the height. Stick a single Vidar heatsink on the back. Side inputs and outputs.

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #81,291 of 148,642
Given their previous statements about not wanting to pursue Class D, that size chassis would be very limited in terms of heat dissipation for Class A or AB (including Continuity), so if they did make one, it would be really low wattage...

I bet Jason has something in a crock pot (slow cooking) on a shelf somewhere. If I recall correctly, while reading the Jot R chapter, he had gained some new knowledge/skill/insight on heatsinks and harnessing power in small spaces. He had speculated on driving LRSs, and has indicated he uses (or used) Jot R to push LS50s on his desktop. Someday I hope that whatever he has been playing around with checks all his boxes for production and sale. And that part shortages and whatever else 2021 brings dont affect production for too long.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #81,294 of 148,642
Dibs on the Amperex 6922 gold pins.
There are 70’s Reflectors in the box as well but not all of these would be given away. I must have 30-40 pairs. 😜

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #81,295 of 148,642
I also wonder what Hunter S. Thompson would have to write.
I am a fan of HST and have read a lot of his works. I named a cat Hunter and another Gonzo after that style of journalism.

“Faster,faster,faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”
HST

Sep 1, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #81,296 of 148,642
I am a fan of HST and have read a lot of his works.

Me too. But at various times I've pondered whether it's his writing or Ralph Steadman's illustrations that will prove more enduring.

Still....
"The mamas aren’t pretty, although some of the newer and younger ones have a sort of demented beauty that erodes so fast that you have to see it happen, over a period of months, to feel any sense of tragedy."

HST, Hells Angels

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #81,297 of 148,642
I am a fan of HST and have read a lot of his works. I named a cat Hunter and another Gonzo after that style of journalism.

“Faster,faster,faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”
HST
That quote describes how I ski.

HST is one of my all time favorite authors.

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #81,299 of 148,642
That quote describes how I ski.

HST is one of my all time favorite authors.
I am currently reading a lot of metafiction including The Magus by John Fowles.

My daughter was in college in Colorado at the time of HST’s death. She called and asked if I heard the news about Thompson. I had not but I asked her how he died cause I had been expecting it. He was a Hemingway fan. In college a lot of us hung out in the same park that he had, in Louisville, his hometown.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #81,300 of 148,642
I am currently reading a lot of metafiction including The Magus by John Fowles.
Wow, that was one of my favorites from college :) Next: Eco's "The Name of the Rose," Calvino's "If in a Winter's Night a Traveler," Perec's "Life: A User's Manual."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back