Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 13, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #7,696 of 148,606

Yeah really.  I was never happy with the sound quality of these:

I thought I was so cool when I got into these.  I was thinking in my head, "You guys don't know what you're talking about.  This is the future! "

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #7,699 of 148,606
Yes you had the DCC I had the mini disc and Mario had the ADAT. Haha.

-I still use my DAT recorders on a regular basis, never quite got around to replacing them with solid-state recorders - they keep working, SQ is excellent, recording time and battery life is sufficient...

Though I have to admit, I never figured when buying my first DAT machine in 1998 that I would once be considered a luddite when bringing it to a gig I intended to tape...

(Funnily enough, the kids still refer to it as 'taping' when recording a show - then look puzzled when I show them an actual tape...)

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #7,700 of 148,606

Tubular Bells 
 Are you suggesting "left behind" as in : to the left, behind the water heater?  

I don't have a copy of tubular bells, some are available on ebay , I forgot what it sounds like.

New iPhone 6 Super Duper version with Apple 2 year = $947
Verison with 2 year plan = $547 , Calling plans extra on monthly.  

I'm figuring the cheapest anyone can do is about $1,000 per year but could go to $2,000 per year.

Got 'em beat with Cars, everyone spends way more per year on their Car.

But Vinyl?, maybe the kids are inheriting Gramp's collection, folks can't quite throw out Vinyl anymore than they can throwout Photo Albums and Vinyl can't be burned like CDs.  Is that why the Audio Makers produce RIAA curved Pre-amps?  Wikipedia says that Vinyl has lots more "per unit" profit than CDs.  
I think Vinyl is dead, the Press treats it like it's in a Coma, they've been praying over it, they keep candles lit for it, it quivers like it's returning to full life. For 30 years it's been making it's comeback…
The Amish still use Horses, "Cars ain't natural" .  

I just found about 200 of my Store Demo Vinyls in a closet. They'll be on Ebay this winter.  ( including some Wilson's Audio discs., I was a Wilson Dealer ) 

Tony in Michigan

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #7,703 of 148,606

Yeah really.  I was never happy with the sound quality of these:

Sound quality was never the point of those.  Portability and making mix tapes, definitely.  Quality, not so much.

Even with Dolby A/B/C they never sounded as good as the LP.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #7,704 of 148,606
If I got the Bifrost with uber analog,
Would that be good to have it dedicated
To using it with a marantz amplifier with towers? So:
Bifrost uber+ marantz amplifier (2.0 or 2.1) + 2 Towers (klipsch or warfidale) would that be a good setup?

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #7,705 of 148,606
-I still use my DAT recorders on a regular basis, never quite got around to replacing them with solid-state recorders - they keep working, SQ is excellent, recording time and battery life is sufficient...

Though I have to admit, I never figured when buying my first DAT machine in 1998 that I would once be considered a luddite when bringing it to a gig I intended to tape...

(Funnily enough, the kids still refer to it as 'taping' when recording a show - then look puzzled when I show them an actual tape...)

Two things:  1)  I was at Best Buy and there was this poor older guy trying to hook up his "recorders" (VCRs) He was upset because they only had coaxial connectors and his new TV was HDMI.  

2)  I always find it funny that sports reporters and coaches still say that they're going to go back and review "film."  You know that the NFL has the latest and greatest digital recorders yet the terminology has not caught up.  

Gotta love technology.  Especially trying to explain to your significant other what this "headphone" hobby is!!

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #7,706 of 148,606

The Schiit Ass Guard?

Believe it or not, we never connected “Asgard” to “Ass Guard” until people started to comment on it after launch. So no, “Schiit Asgard” isn’t an inside joke for “Schiit Ass Guard.” Or maybe the joke’s on us. 

Jason... brother, I'm hoping your planning to make this into a full fledged paper back book... if so I'd like to pre-order 3 copies <3. The humor of it alone will sell! 

Still I'm rather glad I got a chance to try the Vali, seeing as I've owned ONE of your awesome pieces of schiit! And for the record... it was much better than anything made in china that was any where near the cost of it!

Looking forward to your new balanced Amp and Dac :D... but looking forward to the book more ^^ 

This is literally the exact kind of book ive beem looking for for years, and then some.

This is genius to expose all of the background foibles and mishaps along the way to creating some seriously good gear that is to this day flying off the shelves.

To know more about the characters behind this newly successful company, and all that they went through, while reading about my favorite part of all, the gear, just makes me that much more interested to buy a product made from Schiit!

Sep 14, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #7,707 of 148,606
If I got the Bifrost with uber analog,
Would that be good to have it dedicated
To using it with a marantz amplifier with towers? So:
Bifrost uber+ marantz amplifier (2.0 or 2.1) + 2 Towers (klipsch or warfidale) would that be a good setup?

The bifrost won't be the weak link for many, many thousands of dollars into your future.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #7,709 of 148,606

1)  I was at Best Buy and there was this poor older guy trying to hook up his "recorders" (VCRs) He was upset because they only had coaxial connectors and his new TV was HDMI.  

2)  I always find it funny that sports reporters and coaches still say that they're going to go back and review "film."  You know that the NFL has the latest and greatest digital recorders yet the terminology has not caught up.  

And similarly, when has anyone ever literally "dialed" a number on their cell phone (or most any other phone for that matter) or "taped" a show using a DVR 
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #7,710 of 148,606
  Sound quality was never the point of those.  Portability and making mix tapes, definitely.  Quality, not so much.

Even with Dolby A/B/C they never sounded as good as the LP.

I never used Dolby. B made the high end sound "soft" and C made it sound "soft" and "dull" with reduced high end.

Type II and Type IV tapes made all the difference in SQ with a good recording deck.

Now if they went faster than 178 ips, like 3
3​
⁄​
4​
 ips then it would sound better. Even better would be a wider width tape, like say 1/4". Oh, wait, that was the Elcaset​. Not a very portable tape format. Especially when considering DAT.

However, ever seen the error rate on DAT? Awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back