Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 12, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #76,471 of 149,163
All this cryo-nervosa. I just went ahead and cryo'ed my ears. Now it doesn't matter if my cables, tubes, speaker stands, etc., are cryo'ed or not. It all sounds good!! :smirk:
no-ears.png

May 12, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #76,472 of 149,163
Yeah. That was me waiting for my ears to get back from being cryo'ed. Here's after...

Capture.JPG

May 12, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #76,473 of 149,163
All this cryo-nervosa. I just went ahead and cryo'ed my ears. Now it doesn't matter if my cables, tubes, speaker stands, etc., are cryo'ed or not. It all sounds good!! :smirk:
Sticking your head in the freezer for 15 minutes doesn’t count.

May 12, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #76,475 of 149,163
@Jason Stoddard, it is awesome that you added the DC sense functionality to this new Magni to further protect expensive headphones. Can you share how this circuit differs from the one that is in the Lyr 3? The reason why I am asking is because early Lyr 3s had a very trigger-happy protection circuit that would sometimes kick in when listening to bass-heavy music or video games.

It's the same as the one in Lyr, just re-tuned.

With respect to protection, this is a good example of TANSTAFL.

DC protect too sensitive? It'll trigger on some EDM (or other music with a lot of second harmonic distortion baked in). But it does save you from cooking sensitive drivers.

Current protect too sensitive (only on Jot R and speaker amps)? It'll trigger just when you're demoing those digital cannon (or that new EDM) for your friends. But without it, high power amps can have a very bad day.

Thermal protect too sensitive? Might get shut down just as you're getting into it. But without it, you're definitely looking at ugly, catastrophic failure.

Current limiting (baked into output topology, we don't use this): tends to sound like ass, in Mike's terms.

Bottom line, we use what's appropriate and tune for least intrusiveness, given the capabilities of the amplifier. The microprocessor-controlled stuff has more advanced protection (Ragnarok 2, Vidar, Aegir). Everything else is analog-computer style, which means you're balancing levels and time constants. We have specific tracks we use to test the analog computer style stuff, tracks full of pre-distorted bass at unrealistic levels.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 12, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #76,476 of 149,163
You might find this video of interest, if you haven't seen it yet. Any comments you have I would love to read.

Rick I did enjoy that video, I will only say that I have cable I prefer when building USB cables and I can go greater distances than some stock cables because it is 22 awg to the best of my recollection. I also know that it is well shielded (individually shielded pairs). What I personally like to use is Belden 8723 cable. Can I say this sounds better to me than other brands? Not really, but I do like to use American made products from companies who care about quality. I rarely get into I believe this sounds better than that because most anyone else would have a different opinion especially if they paid dearly for a USB cable. :ksc75smile: I have not done the testing this gentleman did by any means.

May 12, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #76,480 of 149,163
Rick I did enjoy that video, I will only say that I have cable I prefer when building USB cables and I can go greater distances than some stock cables because it is 22 awg to the best of my recollection. I also know that it is well shielded (individually shielded pairs). What I personally like to use is Belden 8723 cable. Can I say this sounds better to me than other brands? Not really, but I do like to use American made products from companies who care about quality. I rarely get into I believe this sounds better than that because most anyone else would have a different opinion especially if they paid dearly for a USB cable. :ksc75smile: I have not done the testing this gentleman did by any means.
Thanks.

That video blew my mind, because previously I had been of the opinion that a digital cable either works or it doesn't.

May 12, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #76,481 of 149,163
Anyone out there have any feedback as to how long it took them to receive their Bifrost 2 from Schiit?

I have one on backorder...the Schiit website says 4-6 week backorder, and they're understandably reluctant to get any more specific than that.

Damn this global chip shortage...

May 12, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #76,482 of 149,163
Thanks.

That video blew my mind, because previously I had been of the opinion that a digital cable either works or it doesn't.
It was an interesting approach and the gentleman seemed to make every effort to match the signals. I have some local friends I can ask, just as I asked a metallurgist about cryo treatment. :ksc75smile: I even borrowed a cable cooker once but the less I say about that the better lol.

May 12, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #76,484 of 149,163
You do realize that to cryo anything, at least successfully, takes at least 3 days to complete the process right?
1 day to gradually lower the temperature down to ≈-340ºF
1 day to stay at that temperature.
1 day to gradually raise the temperature back up to ambient.

They have computer controlled cryo chambers just for this purpose.
And most cryo treatments are used for machine tools and even race car engine blocks etc.

Its an industrial process that has been used for decades to harden cutting edges and is even used on musical instruments like horns etc.

And like I previously mentioned it can improve the performance of any cable, especially power cables with signal and digital cables improving a bit less overall.
In fact many high end cable manufacturers such as Synergistic Research, Shinyada to name just a few, use this process on their cables because it works.

JJ
You can make oxygen free cables at home easily. Put the cables into a RubberMaid container. Put a hamster into the container. Put the lid on the container and seal it with duct tape. In a few days the hamster will have consumed all of the oxygen.

May 12, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #76,485 of 149,163
Can't you just use an RCA splitter from one coax? I've done that to have one eitr feed multiple DACs at once and that worked great.
won't always work, as the paralleled devices proportionately reduce the load impedance seen by the driving source.

also, I think the OP might have been thinking about a multi-channel 7.1 or 5.1.2 scenario with multibit DACs instead of the usual D/S parts. (ya need even more channels for that...the front height channels, plus independent sub channels)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back