Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #75,511 of 149,047
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #75,512 of 149,047
And now to listen to “The Adventures of Panama Red” and relive my college daze!

On his white horse, Mescalito,
He comes breezin' through town,
Bet your woman's up in bed,
With ol' Panama Red!

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #75,513 of 149,047
The circuit design and operating point has a LOT to do with tube life. A lot of my Tektronix tube o'scopes still have most or all of their original tubes. Yes, I'm nuts, I collect boat anchor oscilloscopes. Fascinating circuits that are extremely linear without feedback. Anyway, with a conservative design you can get an amazing amount of life out of a vacuum tube. Quite a few of my o'scopes have 20+K hours on them.
I found three or four 12-volt "Hour Meters" in my dad's junk shed after he died. I suspect he got them free and could not bear to throw them out. They have been in my barn for 20 years. These hour meters are actually larger than the Vali. I should rig one up to count the hours on my Vali's single tube.

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #75,514 of 149,047
Some of the cactus in South Texas will take you on a journey you'll never forget.

If they're Teddy Bear Chollas and you sit on one, you will DEFINITELY never forget that journey...especially if the doctor can't get quite all of their sticky parts to disengage from your tender bits.

But then if you've ever had a dog who tried to eat a porcupine, you will have a newfound appreciation for and understanding of his experience.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #75,515 of 149,047
If they're Teddy Bear Chollas and you sit on one, you will DEFINITELY never forget that journey...especially if the doctor can't get quite all of their sticky parts to disengage from your tender bits.
But they look so soft and cuddly...

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #75,516 of 149,047
I didn't know Volkswagen made head phones. I hope Schiit don't play fast and loose with the fuel economy ratings for the Folkvangir. That didn't work well for VW.
It would be power ratings for Schiit. Like eight 6N6P's give you 600 watts per channel, regardless of load impedance. That would be bad. :laughing: :laughing:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #75,517 of 149,047
The circuit design and operating point has a LOT to do with tube life. A lot of my Tektronix tube o'scopes still have most or all of their original tubes. Yes, I'm nuts, I collect boat anchor oscilloscopes. Fascinating circuits that are extremely linear without feedback. Anyway, with a conservative design you can get an amazing amount of life out of a vacuum tube. Quite a few of my o'scopes have 20+K hours on them.
VERY COOL! I have an old B&K 1472 - still works perfectly, did duty as an X-Y display in my system until I went balanced.....

Share some pics!

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #75,518 of 149,047
I was planning on selling the Mjolnir 2 once my Ragnarok 2 arrives; I reckon that I will hold on to them just a bit longer, though. At least until the Fólkvangr comes around. :)
Only a week ago I figured I'd sell my Mjolnir I now that I'm happily using an Aegir as a head phone amp for my power hungry head phones: planars and electrostatics. However...

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #75,519 of 149,047
It would be power ratings for Schiit. Like eight 6N6P's give you 600 watts per channel, regardless of load impedance. That would be bad. :laughing: :laughing:
Just like 600 hp (448 kW) would be bad for VW...

Apr 21, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #75,520 of 149,047
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #75,521 of 149,047
Depends on the engine, some of the newer ones can get crazy with the EA888 family - this site CLAIMS 463 kW at the crank out of one.

https://tvsengineering.com/projects/volkswagen-golf-7r-2-0-tsi-2015/

Now how quickly your connecting rods decide to play peekaboo is a different story.
Connecting rods? What are those? Oy yeah, they're what's missing in my rotary. :smile:

Now if I could just get someone to remove and clean this stupid SSV valve (that requires disassembling half the engine compartment to get to) so that I didn't have to do it I'd be happy.... :laughing:

Apr 21, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #75,522 of 149,047
This may have been discussed before, but I might have missed it (or my searching skills aren't quite up to par). Is the Fólkvangr a complement in size to the Yggdrasil and the Ragnarok? Thanks in advance!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-16071570
How about an insane 10-tube all-tube headphone amp? It's something I'm playing around with. Of course, it would be about 10x the price of a Vali 2+. And it currently isn't ready for prime time (too much hummmmmmmmm...but fixable.) Still not sure I want to bring it to production.
A picture of the prototype...

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #75,523 of 149,047
Cost and complexity. Truly balanced requires 2x the tubes, other components, wiring... Fairly exotic SET tube amps use transformers to accept/produce balanced, but are internally single-ended.

Ah thanks, no wonder there are less of such tube amps being built nowadays

Not just the tubes, but the whole amp design. For instance, the EC Aficionado I own can even power efficient bookshelf speakers, thanks to the SET design with custom-designed output transformers. OTL tube amps are a lot less flexible that way, although some designers and listeners prefer avoiding transformers.

Ah good point, I was asking more about whether the connections matter more or not but it's clear that they play a smaller factor than the amp's design

Users who are viewing this thread

Back