Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 21, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #75,496 of 145,578
I would like to see a hour meter for tubes, soft start, and fans incorporated too.
I've only ever seen hour meters on high powered radio transmitters, which we logged to know when to have the tubes rebuilt.

The last really big one I worked on had its step-start bolted to a separate wall, and the PS rectifier stack in its own room, with its own fans.

Headphone amps are much less picky, thankfully.

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #75,497 of 145,578
Nopales are great on the grill. Just make sure you scrape all the pricks off.
At some get-togethers, then I'd be eating alone...

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #75,498 of 145,578
Farewell Mjolnir 2, the best sounding Schiit amp I ever owned. We hardly knew ye.
I was planning on selling the Mjolnir 2 once my Ragnarok 2 arrives; I reckon that I will hold on to them just a bit longer, though. At least until the Fólkvangr comes around. :)

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #75,499 of 145,578
With Mjolnir discontinued, this means there is no Schiit tube amp (Lyr, the most expensive Schiit tube amp can do only single ended) that can do balanced connections aside from Folkvangir

I am hoping for something smaller than Folkvangir sometime down the line
This may have been discussed before, but I might have missed it (or my searching skills aren't quite up to par). Is the Fólkvangr a complement in size to the Yggdrasil and the Ragnarok? Thanks in advance!

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #75,500 of 145,578
This may have been discussed before, but I might have missed it (or my searching skills aren't quite up to par). Is the Fólkvangr a complement in size to the Yggdrasil and the Ragnarok? Thanks in advance!
I believe Jason said he was still sorting out the chassis size as there’s a lot of heat output at idle. Sounded like it’s not the same size as any existing product.

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #75,501 of 145,578
Thanks, that's a good observation. If this is true, I wonder what's stopping Schiit (and other companies?) from making good balanced tube amps
Cost and complexity. Truly balanced requires 2x the tubes, other components, wiring... Fairly exotic SET tube amps use transformers to accept/produce balanced, but are internally single-ended.

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #75,502 of 145,578
Thanks, I see. So in other words, balanced or not is not what determines if the amp can drive the cans, but rather how good the tubes are?
Not just the tubes, but the whole amp design. For instance, the EC Aficionado I own can even power efficient bookshelf speakers, thanks to the SET design with custom-designed output transformers. OTL tube amps are a lot less flexible that way, although some designers and listeners prefer avoiding transformers.

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #75,505 of 145,578
Apr 21, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #75,507 of 145,578
how big is it? can you post a pic?

(maybe its a pineapple seed? do they have seeds???)
I already lost it, seriously like less than a 1/16th of an inch. If could've been stuck to my hand I wouldn't have noticed it and could've fallen into my hand while I was switching the settings on the Jot.

But it seems unlikely.

I tiny silver washer, flat round, with a notch like for the world's tiniest cigarette.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #75,509 of 145,578
I already lost it, seriously like less than a 1/16th of an inch. If could've been stuck to my hand I wouldn't have noticed it and could've fallen into my hand while I was switching the settings on the Jot.

But it seems unlikely.

I tiny silver washer, flat round, with a notch like for the world's tiniest cigarette.
probably an extra lock-washer from the tiny screws on the Alps potentiometer.

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #75,510 of 145,578
In my experience a tube hour meter is not very useful. It can be interesting for some more geeky types, but it really serves no purpose. For example, a 6922 is rated at about 10,000 hours of use. But not all tubes will last that long, some will last much longer, and many will start to sound bad after much less time than that. Others will only start to sound good after a couple thousand hours. And will the meter gauge only how long the power is on, or take into account ow hard the tube is being driven?

Much like a VU meter, it might be fun to look at but the practical usefulness is very low.

Oh,, and I say KILL ALL FANS in amplifiers. Especially headphone amplifiers.
The circuit design and operating point has a LOT to do with tube life. A lot of my Tektronix tube o'scopes still have most or all of their original tubes. Yes, I'm nuts, I collect boat anchor oscilloscopes. Fascinating circuits that are extremely linear without feedback. Anyway, with a conservative design you can get an amazing amount of life out of a vacuum tube. Quite a few of my o'scopes have 20+K hours on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back