Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #74,686 of 149,163
So, I’ve a got a TV on the dresser in my bedroom with just a Blu-ray player connected to it. I was thinking of getting a Modius, a Magnius, and some powered speakers. Someone on another forums suggested powered speakers from JBL. My only experience with powered speakers was being underwhelmed by AudioEngine speakers, Suggestions? Looking to stay under $500USD for the budget, rca or xlr input.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #74,687 of 149,163
So, I’ve a got a TV on the dresser in my bedroom with just a Blu-ray player connected to it. I was thinking of getting a Modius, a Magnius, and some powered speakers. Someone on another forums suggested powered speakers from JBL. My only experience with powered speakers was being underwhelmed by AudioEngine speakers? Suggestions?
The JBL are not powered and i assume they mention the JBL 530s which are pretty decent ao you will need a power amp either the Ragnarok V1/2 which is integrated or you can get a standalone power amp(Vidar/Aegir) and preamplifier(Saga+/Freya+) with the Modius for DAC and Magnius for headphones

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #74,688 of 149,163
Congrats to all on their anniversaries :beerchug:

And, yes it's not only normal, it's essential to staying young at heart. Absolutely take the boards out...20th...30th...40th...50th...til you can't hang ten any more! :)

We're coming up on 40 years in December. Honeymooned in Vail and thought about going back but have never skied Europe so are headed over there.
I am preparing to experience my 50th year of being married to Barbara, although I cannot remember her name right now-----------.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #74,689 of 149,163
The JBL are not powered and i assume they mention the JBL 530s which are pretty decent ao you will need a power amp either the Ragnarok V1/2 which is integrated or you can get a standalone power amp(Vidar/Aegir) and preamplifier(Saga+/Freya+) with the Modius for DAC and Magnius for headphones

The speakers that were recommended are JBL Professional 305P Mkii. I’m looking for something that size and price due space constraints.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #74,690 of 149,163
So, I’ve a got a TV on the dresser in my bedroom with just a Blu-ray player connected to it. I was thinking of getting a Modius, a Magnius, and some powered speakers. Someone on another forums suggested powered speakers from JBL. My only experience with powered speakers was being underwhelmed by AudioEngine speakers? Suggestions?
Kali Audio 8 or 6 (saw a nice limited white version). Long time ago I got Adam 5, still a very nice powered speaker. The T5 from Adam seems to do well nowadays. More options Tannoy Golds if you like that style. All reasonably priced I find.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #74,694 of 149,163
The speakers that were recommended are JBL Professional 305P Mkii. I’m looking for something that size and price due space constraints.
I use those JBLs at my PC with a Fulla 3 as the volume control and have no complaints for the price. The finishing is a bit "meh", but I'm less than 3 feet from them and I could say the same of pretty much every active speaker in this price range. With rear volume at half and Fulla at about half I can hear them from the other room, have to ask for the user to turn them down on occasion.

I haven't heard any of them in person, but I've heard very good things about the entire KALI range, and IIRC those are ex-JBL guys responsible for the 305 range, so I think you'd be in good hands either way.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #74,695 of 149,163
So, I’ve a got a TV on the dresser in my bedroom with just a Blu-ray player connected to it. I was thinking of getting a Modius, a Magnius, and some powered speakers. Someone on another forums suggested powered speakers from JBL. My only experience with powered speakers was being underwhelmed by AudioEngine speakers? Suggestions? Looking to stay under $500USD for the budget, rca or xlr input.

PSB Alpha AM3s are excellent for the price and size. 3.5mm input instead of RCA but those adapters cables are easy to get.

Apr 5, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #74,696 of 149,163
So, I’ve a got a TV on the dresser in my bedroom with just a Blu-ray player connected to it. I was thinking of getting a Modius, a Magnius, and some powered speakers. Someone on another forums suggested powered speakers from JBL. My only experience with powered speakers was being underwhelmed by AudioEngine speakers? Suggestions? Looking to stay under $500USD for the budget, rca or xlr input.
I have the JBL Professional 305P Mkii on my desk right now! I like them a lot. Using a Modi 3 to a hand built tube pre-amp.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #74,697 of 149,163
These are pretty good sounding and not designed for nearfield listening like most active monitors.
https://vanatoo.com/

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #74,698 of 149,163
So, I’ve a got a TV on the dresser in my bedroom with just a Blu-ray player connected to it. I was thinking of getting a Modius, a Magnius, and some powered speakers. Someone on another forums suggested powered speakers from JBL. My only experience with powered speakers was being underwhelmed by AudioEngine speakers, Suggestions? Looking to stay under $500USD for the budget, rca or xlr input.
I recently replaced a pair of older M-Audio BX5's with a pair of Maki MR624's for video production. Very happy with the upgrade, they have 1/4" / XLR and RCA inputs, along with IEC AC power cord. Plenty of power, and, at least for me, no need for a subwoofer. There is an adjustment available for 1/4 / 1/2 / Whole space positioning; i'm using them with a HEL

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #74,699 of 149,163
...and now for something completely different. It was time to switch up my new living room system. For the last week-and-a-bit I've been listening to DAP-Bifrost I multi-bit-Musical Fidelity V90-Stax SR-Lamda. Today I took my Bifrost out and put it back in my bed room system to keep my Mjolnir I company. In it's place I inserted my Loki Mini. I bought the Loki at the same time I bought my Bifrost. But the performance of the Bifrost cured so many of the things I wanted changed in my system I never really used the Loki.
20210406_150952[1].jpg
This is a pretty slick, compact system. The DAC in the Astell&Kern DAP I'm currently using is pretty warm and soft (one of the things the Bifrost cured for my bed room system), so it provides a good balance with the sharp, bright Musical Fidelity electronics. Bypassing the Musical Fidelity DAC is a good thing for my tastes. The sound was a little groundless, though. Not enough foundation. I started playing with the leftmost knob of the Loki. Just taking it "off the detent" didn't make any noticeable difference, so I kept going. Getting to 1:30 or 2:00 was interesting: here we go. Turning it all the way over quickly became too much. The sound got thick and muddy. The sweet spot for me turns out to be just counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise for the metric system folks) of 3:00. Call it 2:45. To me it's still a subtle bump that quickly fades into the unconscious background. Meaning I quickly forget I've bumped the bass and just enjoy the subtle enhancement rather than noticing it with every note.

"What is Hip" from Tower of Power was so much fun I listened to it twice. Grooving rolling bass, the transient snap from the percussion was palpable with the Stax electrostatic speed, and the really fun rhythm was not lost. Good times. Time to turn it down and mellow it out a bit for some Bill Evans.

The electronics will be heading out to my other hobby den this weekend. I'll be installing some speakers in the wall. Part of the original plan six years ago which is finally being executed. I'm looking forward to having some music while looking up. As for my living room system, my birthday is getting closer, hints have been dropped. Of course, the hints were dropped to my teenage son, so they were dropped with a sledge hammer.

Treble is a bit recessed with this combination. Good thing there's a rightmost knob to play with. Scotch first, though.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #74,700 of 149,163
I use these (the 1st Gen version) with Eitr+Modi Multibit+Project Ember, it is a good combo and insanely well-priced compared to other powered monitors in the market

Powered monitors like these have a slight disadvantage due to their inbuilt power amps; you will hear a faint hiss when there is no audio playing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back