Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 9, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #64,516 of 148,990
1 used to have 1G internet speed. At that point your speed is limited by the capabilities of the website host. I found many sites (including large well know ones) didn't have the grunt to make use of the speed and were a bottleneck. A few out there though (Google's various services for example) were damn instant.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #64,517 of 148,990
The prices in this list do not surprise me. That's the biggest reason I quit subscribing decades ago. I got tired of reading about products I'd never be able to afford, and might not purchase even if I could afford them. Really, $180,000 for amplifiers? There are other things to do with that money.

What surprises me is the familiarity of many of the names. The Parasound A-series and Halo products have been around for what, twenty years? I think the Lamm M1.2 was a Class A amplifier in the 1990s. At least Pass, McIntosh and Levinson have changed their model numbers. I do see plenty of ads for products like this with 40%-60% discounts, so I'm not sure you actually have to pay $180,000 for a Dartzeel NHB-468. Still, cudos to all at Schiit.

I have a theory about who buys these products. A friend and I were talking about this very topic over the weekend.
I don't know about any of the rest, but the 2 Parasound offerings have both been redesigned in the last year thus the + designation and they got a hefty price increase to go along with it. I have the original JC1's and the pair were under $10k MSRP when I purchased them (at WELL below MSRP) which now basically act as expensive amp stands for my Vidar...

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #64,518 of 148,990
I'm might downgrade my service because, for a guy like me, what can I do with 1Gbps that I can't do with 100mbps? I rarely DL large files and 100mbps is more than sufficient for streaming 4K video, much less any kind of music. The only issue for the slower speed tiers is that they all have data caps and most, if not all of our TV viewing is streaming. Just don't want to get any surprise bills because I went a single bit over the limit.
I started with 300Mbps because it was the cheapest available at the time, the EVIL internet provider keeps upping the rates after the contract ends and the only way to get an affordable rate is to change your plan, I've done this 3 times now and usually the higher speed plan is cheaper. I went from 300 to 500 to 750 to 1000 and they have all been right at the same price until the contract ends...

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #64,519 of 148,990
I started with 300Mbps because it was the cheapest available at the time, the EVIL internet provider keeps upping the rates after the contract ends and the only way to get an affordable rate is to change your plan, I've done this 3 times now and usually the higher speed plan is cheaper. I went from 300 to 500 to 750 to 1000 and they have all been right at the same price until the contract ends...
I just called Comcast to see how much it is to get unlimited data. It is $50 a month unless you use their modem (garbage) and then it is $25. Unreal. They don't offer unlimited as included even if you up it to 1 Gbps speed. Apparently they just changed that. It used to be included at that tier.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #64,520 of 148,990
I just called Comcast to see how much it is to get unlimited data. It is $50 a month unless you use their modem (garbage) and then it is $25. Unreal. They don't offer unlimited as included even if you up it to 1 Gbps speed. Apparently they just changed that. It used to be included at that tier.

I'm guessing that modem rental is at least $25 a month on top of this?

ed

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #64,521 of 148,990
I'm might downgrade my service because, for a guy like me, what can I do with 1Gbps that I can't do with 100mbps? I rarely DL large files and 100mbps is more than sufficient for streaming 4K video, much less any kind of music. The only issue for the slower speed tiers is that they all have data caps and most, if not all of our TV viewing is streaming. Just don't want to get any surprise bills because I went a single bit over the limit.

Avoiding a data cap is a very good reason. I have Frontier (Formerly Verizon FiOS). There is no data cap on my plan, so it works for me. Gotta say, that 1Gbps up/down sounds pretty darn enticing, however. I may have to call them about downgrading from 100mbps, though. Every time I call about reducing my plan they offer me more speed for less $$!! :D

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #64,523 of 148,990
Exhibit A that the prices in high-end audio have lost all contact with reality.
I seriously am wondering - other than simply inflating the price, what on earth could cause an amp to cost $180,000??? Solid Martian-mined smelted ore frame? Insulation made from composite shreds of the only paper revealing Jimmy Hoffa's location? CEOs who love their condor egg omelettes? Well, that last one is just price inflation...but seriously. Is there a valid justification for the price, or is it just massively inflated?

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #64,524 of 148,990
I seriously am wondering - other than simply inflating the price, what on earth could cause an amp to cost $180,000??? Solid Martian-mined smelted ore frame? Insulation made from composite shreds of the only paper revealing Jimmy Hoffa's location? CEOs who love their condor egg omelettes? Well, that last one is just price inflation...but seriously. Is there a valid justification for the price, or is it just massively inflated?
Probably because some idiot with too much money will buy it.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #64,525 of 148,990
Insulation made from composite shreds of the only paper revealing Jimmy Hoffa's location?

Feh. *Everyone* knows that insulation made from the shredded remains of the true JFK assassination report sound superior to the Jimmy Hoffa location dropped dime.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #64,527 of 148,990
Feh. *Everyone* knows that insulation made from the shredded remains of the true JFK assassination report sound superior to the Jimmy Hoffa location dropped dime.
Yeah, but who can afford that??

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #64,528 of 148,990

This reminds me a very nerdy talk I saw three years ago at a very nerdy event called BAHFest (Bad Ad Hoc Festival, where people present scientific theories and proposals based on bad ad hoc logic). One of the keynote speakers shared his experience trying to talk to an ISP and show how they violated the Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms. I admit I had no idea what the ZF axioms were beforehand but he does a good job telling a story and sharing. But also, very nerdy.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #64,529 of 148,990

Like @Ableza pointed out earlier the super-expensive products are basically playthings for rich people. What really amazes me is the fact that 2/3 of the amps on the list are above $10K. I for one am thankful that we have companies like Schiit that sell quality products at reasonable prices.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #64,530 of 148,990
Yeah, I was on an "unlimited" plan, but one of the times I "upgraded" it switched me off of that without me knowing. It's not really a big deal though, I'm allotted 1.2TB/month, my highest usage month has been under 400GB, but that's just for me, I could see how having a data limit would be an issue if you have a family of 4 trying to use 1 plan.

I bought my own modem, forget paying those clowns $15-$25 a month for one, it pays for itself in under 2 years.

I didn't ask. It sounded like the rental was included. But I am not sure. It was like $15 when I first switched to Comcast. That was seven months ago.
It's not included they are making bank off the equipment "rental" fees...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back