Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #6,241 of 149,247
I imagine a bit more mellow, but depending on how much you use the acoustics could get a little cloudy.
I imagine a bit more mellow, but depending on how much you use the acoustics could get a little cloudy.

Hah hah! I've got a bottle of Glenfidditch. I must say I do prefer it to Jack Daniels!
I got it for $34 US. I saw Lamphroaig but it was $80 and since I was unsure I got the Glen. Now I'm see on all sorts of options!
It has certainly increased my appreciation of Mahler's 9th! With my Lyr, Amperex 7308 USN-CEP's and HiFIMan HE-560's!

May 8, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #6,242 of 149,247
Hah hah! I've got a bottle of Glenfidditch. I must say I do prefer it to Jack Daniels!
I got it for $34 US. I saw Lamphroaig but it was $80 and since I was unsure I got the Glen. Now I'm see on all sorts of options!
It has certainly increased my appreciation of Mahler's 9th! With my Lyr, Amperex 7308 USN-CEP's and HiFIMan HE-560's!

If you like (or are inclined to try) smokey scotches, a great entry point would be Lagavulin. Talisker is also wonderful, a tad lighter and more refined while Oban is earthier and rougher.  All three are expensive ($60-90, though sometimes you can find deals). But any one one of those would be a good introduction to smokey scotches. (as is Laphroaig, but it is rougher still and is sometimes better approached after trying one of the above.)

But I usually recommend Lagavulin as a good starting point--not just because it is my personal favorite of the mainstream Islay (smokey) scotches,  but also because I think they have found a great balance between the elegance and delicacy of the Talisker and the earthy darkness and depth of the Oban.

For those who don't know, the Islay scotches are smokey due to a dearth of wood on the island with which to roast the malt, so they use peat instead.   The complexity of the flavors created rival, no, match the complexity found in fine wines and ports.

If you aren't ready to take the plunge on such an expensive trial,  many 'boutique' (read 'fancier') bars carry one or all of the above and you can try a shot for between $6-10 (at which point,  if you like it, you will immediately regret that you didn't put that money toward buying a whole bottle instead,  but so it goes...)

May 8, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #6,243 of 149,247
If you like (or are inclined to try) smokey scotches, a great entry point would be Lagavulin. Talisker is also wonderful, a tad lighter and more refined while Oban is earthier and rougher.  All three are expensive ($60-90, though sometimes you can find deals). But any one one of those would be a good introduction to smokey scotches. (as is Laphroaig, but it is rougher still and is sometimes better approached after trying one of the above.)

But I usually recommend Lagavulin as a good starting point--not just because it is my personal favorite of the mainstream Islay (smokey) scotches,  but also because I think they have found a great balance between the elegance and delicacy of the Talisker and the earthy darkness and depth of the Oban.

For those who don't know, the Islay scotches are smokey due to a dearth of wood on the island with which to roast the malt, so they use peat instead.   The complexity of the flavors created rival, no, match the complexity found in fine wines and ports.

If you aren't ready to take the plunge on such an expensive trial,  many 'boutique' (read 'fancier') bars carry one or all of the above and you can try a shot for between $6-10 (at which point,  if you like it, you will immediately regret that you didn't put that money toward buying a whole bottle instead,  but so it goes...)

Thanks Nedifer! Good tips
I would absolutely say the Glenfidditch is a more complex flavor than Jack Daniels. I'll look for the others

May 8, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #6,247 of 149,247
Quote:superjawes
 It would only be responsible to point out that we are off-topic, and there is, in fact, a "Whiskey-Fi" thread.

Do the best whiskeys have the switch on the front or back......?

If you had to look, you're inebriated....!

May 8, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #6,248 of 149,247
Re: Chapter 8. This schitt is really inspirational (pun intended). A lot of wisdom in your words. As a health professional, I am part of a team creating a new clinic within a large institution and a lot of what you say here applies to us. I am going to send this out to our team. Thank you Jason. 

May 8, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #6,249 of 149,247
George Dickel Barrel Select is exceptional whisky (that's how it spells)
George T. Stagg Bourbon, sublime stuff
Four Roses single barrel
Buffalo Trace - excellent inexpensive bourbon, I feel it is best one under $30.00

May 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #6,250 of 149,247
You want headphones with that....??????

http://kennerton.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

I want the Odin, only because it's the most expensive......
wink_face.gif

May 8, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #6,251 of 149,247
Hudson Whiskey. Any of their offerings except for the single malt.
Their four grain and baby bourbon is delightful

Otherwise, bourbon wise I go for woodford, Angels envy (a little smoky for some), buffalo trace. If I'm mixing very old Barton 90 proof goes extremely well with coke.

May 8, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #6,252 of 149,247
Now, don't ask me who has the 'h' and who doesn't but...

Try Irish. Ordinary Irish is better, smoother and tastier than expensive Scotch.

Now I guess I get lynched! I'd rather be lunched, though.

(Actually, I gave up alcohol about ten years back. No big deal, just noticed I hadn't been drinking and decided to stay that way, so I'm not in touch, but I used to keep a bottle of the Irish stuff in the house. And the Japanese (different) stuff: sake.)

May 10, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #6,254 of 149,247
"God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world" as the old saying goes. 
wink.gif
  I enjoy a good Irish now and then, usually after dinner.  Redbreast is my current favorite.  But when I want something sophisticated and relaxing, I reach for the good Single Malt from Scotland.  My liquor cabinet is always stocked with Abelor 16 and Balvanie Double Wood, with a good 21 yr for special evenings (right now it's Auchentoshan) and a bottle or two of Laugavulan or Ardbeg for those who prefer a peaty drop.

May 10, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6,255 of 149,247
"God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world" as the old saying goes.  :wink:   I enjoy a good Irish now and then, usually after dinner.  Redbreast is my current favorite.  But when I want something sophisticated and relaxing, I reach for the good Single Malt from Scotland.  My liquor cabinet is always stocked with Abelor 16 and Balvanie Double Wood, with a good 21 yr for special evenings (right now it's Auchentoshan) and a bottle or two of Laugavulan or Ardbeg for those who prefer a peaty drop.

+1. Well described sir. I had to pour myself a shot of my Glenlevet, listening to Joe's Garage, and it sounds great through the Yggy and the Rag. Hope you have a great Sunday, listening to music and hanging out with your family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back