Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 25, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #57,841 of 149,075
Therefore this leads to the question of what to buy to do the most good. I plan on spending the money domestically and in particular buying some more Schiit (which is a great way to spread the stimulus [or Robert Heinlein's "pay it forward"] in the U.S. economy) and patronizing my favorite non-chain restaurant by getting take out or buying gift cards. This way I can further help the U.S. economy, reward a company that we all love for it's U.S. supply chain, and keep my favorite Pirate themed Rum bar from closing.

Hard to argue with that. You've shamed me into a temporary hiatus from buying Russian tubes. Hopefully I have enough on hand to outlast this thing. :)

Mar 25, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #57,842 of 149,075
Thanks guy, in a state of deep thinking following your excellent feedback. It seems the Vidar would provide the power and depth for listening to dub, drone, electronica and the like. When compared to the Rag 2, I suppose the benefit of the incorporated headphone could be resolved with an inexpensive Magni. But then by avoiding the Rag2 it raises the need for an alternative DAC to drive CDs or digital files. The finesse of the Aegir is sounds like a great match for realistic listening volumes of a city apartment but I like to crank it up when the opportunity arises.

If your transport has a USB output, the fully-loaded RAG2 includes a multibit DAC with USB input, as well as an MM phono preamp.

Mar 25, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #57,843 of 149,075
@Jason Stoddard - I will be following any news of an end-game phono stage from Schiit with GREAT interest; I have been waiting for you guys to do something along these lines for quite some time.

I know it's not Schiit's practice to comment in detail on future products, but given the speculative, non-committal comments you've made on gain, etc., I wonder if you could also speculate on the following: Would you anticipate that this potential phono stage would be housed in a Gungnir/Freya size chassis, or Yggdrasil/Ragnarok size? Just curious about the physical scale!

Hopefully it's at least Saga + sized so it doesn't need a damn Wart, stupid things take up WAY too much room on my power conditioner...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #57,844 of 149,075
Thanks guy, in a state of deep thinking following your excellent feedback. It seems the Vidar would provide the power and depth for listening to dub, drone, electronica and the like. When compared to the Rag 2, I suppose the benefit of the incorporated headphone could be resolved with an inexpensive Magni. But then by avoiding the Rag2 it raises the need for an alternative DAC to drive CDs or digital files. The finesse of the Aegir is sounds like a great match for realistic listening volumes of a city apartment but I like to crank it up when the opportunity arises.

You should go with Vidar for the music you mentioned. Vidar is a beast on bass - control, texture, force, depth.. also Bifrost 2 is great for bass, and everything else. Get a saga or an asgard 3 if you don't care about a remote and want an HP amp. ModI 3 or modi Multibit are also great.

Edit I see you talk about mainly listening via TT. My 2 cents, buy one of the Sagas and Mani, and Modi 3. Still less then a Ragnarok 2 (just the amp) with more inputs, both analog and digital.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #57,847 of 149,075
Hopefully it's at least Saga + sized so it doesn't need a damn Wart, stupid things take up WAY too much room on my power conditioner...

you just need some "wall wart extenders", 6 to 12 inch extension cords ($1-$2 each in multi-packs) between your power conditioner and the wall warts. no, the extenders are not cryo-treated , but neither are the wall wart laminations or the not-even-anywhere-close-to-six-nines-mono-crystal-copper windings.
Question.

Bourbon and Bluegrass sure seem to go well together....

I guess that's more of a statement....

Sure does make burning the midnight oil a heckuva lot easier.

reminds me of a song (what doesn't, especially for most posters on this thread) Wilson pickett, in the midnight hour...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #57,848 of 149,075
you just need some "wall wart extenders", 6 to 12 inch extension cords ($1-$2 each in multi-packs) between your power conditioner and the wall warts. no, the extenders are not cryo-treated , but neither are the wall wart laminations or the not-even-anywhere-close-to-six-nines-mono-crystal-copper windings.

reminds me of a song (what doesn't, especially for most posters on this thread) Wilson pickett, in the midnight hour...

+1 on the wall wart extenders. They're also nice for when the outlets are rotated the wrong way to stack wall warts next to each other on your power strip. And there are inexpensive-yet-good multi-packs available on amazon. Look for UL listing for compliance with US electric code if you're worried about sub-standard foreign knock-offs.

Mar 26, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #57,850 of 149,075
Question.

Bourbon and Bluegrass sure seem to go well together....

I guess that's more of a statement....

Sure does make burning the midnight oil a heckuva lot easier.

Moonshine and Marilyn Manson even better.

(I *am* from NASCAR country). :)

Mar 26, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #57,851 of 149,075
Are you referring to a Plinius SA-1? With Schiit solid state amps excluded (I haven't heard one yet 'cause I'm a tubehead), the Plinius is one of the few solid state amps that I found quite enjoyable to listen to. If I had one I wouldn't be in any hurry to part with it...
In this case, no. I have a nice pair of Threshold SA-1. Plinius is another brand I have not heard. That gear was always too expensive and not distributed by any of the stores near me (when there were stores near me). Both Plinius and Halcro were hamstrung, at least for me, by being produced on the other side of the world. I console myself that if I'd lived in Australia I'd have been able to hear Plinius and Halcro but would have missed out on Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland, Nelson Pass, etc.

I was always partial to solid state power and tube pre-amps. I had a Cary SLP-70 for years. My kids forced me to the dark side with a chorus of "home theater, we want surround sound", so off the Cary went, and in came the Theta.

Mar 26, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #57,852 of 149,075
Hard to argue with that. You've shamed me into a temporary hiatus from buying Russian tubes. Hopefully I have enough on hand to outlast this thing. :)
I wonder if we need a new thread? I would love to post about current events and politics with denizens of the Schittr, but not with the consequence of derailing the audio theme of this thread.

Schiit Box (rather than Soap Box)?

Mar 26, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #57,854 of 149,075
You may have wondered...

"And, hilariously, Princess's offices and shipyards are sited on Stonehouse Creek, a watery inlet leading to the fearsome old Royal Naval Hospital, finished to an advanced design by Alexander Rovehead in 1765. (And b)uilt as separate pavilions accommodating about 1200 wounded or diseased sailors. But Stonehouse Creek was notoriously malodorous. So much so that it soon became known as crap Creek and can therefore claim to be the fons et origo of this delightful term. Since most people were travelling up crap Creek on the tide were on their way to hospital, to be seen up crap Creek without a paddle meant there was likely no possibility of return."

-Stephen Bayley, in Octane Magazine (UK) April 2020, profiling a former designer for McLaren now working with Princess Yachts.

So now you know where the real crap Creek is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back