Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #54,751 of 149,247
I should have sent you a spiffy enclosure for the Coaster amp but did not think of it lol. From what I have read you should have a good size group exhibiting and a very successful meet.

hey there is a second coaster here. :) made by @100VoltTube

his is naked too :p

A6BFA611-B365-4BD0-B9B0-72606CC8079A.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #54,752 of 149,247
Dec 15, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #54,753 of 149,247
Sorry to hear that. We have 100+ FedEx shipments a day (incoming and outgoing) at work, and this time of year their ground service times are horrible. They maintain service levels on the air shipments, but ground is a different story (and I'm just assuming your Fulla shipped ground). The HEL I ordered for my son last weekend shipped via USPS and arrived yesterday. Wasn't even looking for it as I didn't get an email indicating it had shipped. (?) All is well and I'm glad it's here regardless...
I am still checking delivery status every hour like an idiot. Lo and behold the status changed to a Tuesday eod delivery day. We shall see.

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #54,754 of 149,247
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #54,755 of 149,247
Stereo subs for strictly 2-channel music:

I've been researching like a fool trying to find the absolute best deal on a pair of subs that put out at a decent SPL (although super high SPL not too important since I don't listen at ear bleeding levels anyway) and low distortion down to 20hz. Foot print needs to stay small due to WAF.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2x SVS SB12 NSDs. (Don't want to DIY either) Anyone tried these for 2-channel?

Seems like 2 of these for 800 dollars delivered might be about as good as you can get?

Dec 15, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #54,757 of 149,247
Stereo subs for strictly 2-channel music:

I've been researching like a fool trying to find the absolute best deal on a pair of subs that put out at a decent SPL (although super high SPL not too important since I don't listen at ear bleeding levels anyway) and low distortion down to 20hz. Foot print needs to stay small due to WAF.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2x SVS SB12 NSDs. (Don't want to DIY either) Anyone tried these for 2-channel?

Seems like 2 of these for 800 dollars delivered might be about as good as you can get?

are these from an authorized SVS dealer? if used, is the warranty transferrable? achillies heel (weak spot) on most subwoofers is the on-board amp. the SB1000 series bought new from an authorized dealer might be a better option. I think SVS offers a discount when buying two or more at the same time.

might want to consider waiting until 1st week of January to buy if not in a hurry, as UPS and FedEx are a zoo right now, and being such would take the utmost care in handling your heavy but still fragile subs :frowning2: .

also, how are you handling the bass-management (crossover between subs and mains)? quality of parts on most subs with speaker connection in and high pass speaker out is not good, as high quality passive parts (e.g. big film caps and low-loss air core inductors) at subwoofer crossover frequencies are very expensive.

and one more thing (using my best Columbo voice), placement for subs is also critical (but often conflicts with WAF). corners play loudest, using the walls as reflectors, but make the bass more peaky and one-notey; away from the walls allows for less boundary reflection. SVS web site, if you have not already looked there, has some hints on sub placement.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #54,758 of 149,247
Warning: "C" post to follow. Those with allergies should move on immediately.

Since @Paladin79 claimed dibs on purple I had to go with another color, and of all the available colors left this nuclear glow green was (IMO) certainly one of them. Probably just my imagination, but they seem to lend a bit of radiance to the sound. :relaxed:

Note to Paladin: the light purple on the USB cable is not attempted dibs infringement. It came like that. :neutral_face:

Nuclear Green.jpg

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #54,759 of 149,247
Warning: "C" post to follow. Those with allergies should move on immediately.

Since @Paladin79 claimed dibs on purple I had to go with another color, and of all the available colors left this nuclear glow green was (IMO) certainly one of them. Probably just my imagination, but they seem to lend a bit of radiance to the sound. :relaxed:

Note to Paladin: the light purple on the USB cable is not attempted dibs infringement. It came like that. :neutral_face:

nice pic.

that color is "emerald green".

having said that, I thought someone had dibs on that color as well. perhaps "filament orange" would be a good color for you?

aside... is that a coaxial termination resistor on the coax S/PDIF input of your Bifrost 2? what is the logic behind that?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #54,760 of 149,247
I have deemed it to be a TOXIC GREEN. :head_bandage: :helmet_with_cross::mask::man_with_gua_pi_mao::skull:

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #54,761 of 149,247
having said that, I thought someone had dibs on that color as well.

Nooooooooooooo. :cry:

Please tell me you're confusing me with me. :disappointed_relieved:

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #54,764 of 149,247
and low distortion down to 20hz
IMHO if you can go down to a GOOD 50-80Hz you're king of the world and you will need a big, big big amp to give it any power.
20 Hz you can feel, but hardly hear. No natural instrument can produce that low with any energy.
I forget that magical number and listen to what sounds good. Can you distinguish a kick drum from a bass line or a synthesizer in the music score? Or is it all just a big rumble?
Bass for me is already far to dominant in last decade productions. Just my taste and my 2 cents

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #54,765 of 149,247
aside... is that a coaxial termination resistor on the coax S/PDIF input of your Bifrost 2? what is the logic behind that?

No, it's just a cap. No internal pin or resistor. The logic is that it's supposed to help keep stray RFI out of unused inputs or add to Cardas's bank account. Maybe both. Does it make any audible difference? Not that I've ever been able to hear on preamp inputs, and not that I can hear with the Bifrost. It's only there now because I found it when I was fishing through my sleeve/shrink-tube box and I figured it looks cooler on the Bifrost than in the bottom of a box, and it might even help keep some dust out. :slight_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back