1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. bcowen
    Of course it's about the cars. It's always about the cars. Wait....I mean the tubes. Sorry. My bust. It's about the tubes, as it should be. But hang on. It's not about the tubes either, is it? Nevermind then.

:relaxed:

Tim van der Leeuw likes this.
  2. Ripper2860

A father's words of wisdom to his 16 year old son: "Son, you'll kill yourself in the '72 LeMans convertible. That two-tone Pinto looks pretty nice."

Yep. That was my dad and my first car was the Pinto.

I stood a far greater chance of being killed in a fiery crash while stopped at a light in the Pinto than I would have racing around town in that convertible Carolina Blue Le Mans with white leather interior, Cragar wheels, Hurst shifter, Edelbrock intake, Holley double-pumper and high-lift cam.:unamused:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  3. ToddAr1
    Jotunheim high gain is better. Low gain is flatter and less compelling. Noise is not a discernible issue in my system. I did A/Bs when I first got the Jotunheim and have left it on high gain since.

4. bcowen

I thought this was your first car. Or had they not come out yet? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

upload_2019-12-14_17-28-11.png

audio philestine likes this.
  5. Ripper2860
    That's right. Kick a man while he's down thinking about his life's missed opportunities and what might have been. :unamused:

DougD, audio philestine and bcowen like this.
  6. bcowen
    Really nice review. Thanks!

ScubaMan2017 and porkosphere like this.
  7. Ripper2860
    Wow!! Excellent review. Thank you for the time and effort in writing this and sharing.

ScubaMan2017, Rensek and bcowen like this.
  8. porchwizard
    If you can't kick a man when he's down, when can you kick him?

9. Ripper2860
    Please don't encourage @bcowen and his ill-behaved antics.

bcowen likes this.
  10. Tim van der Leeuw
    Thanks for your perspective; for me the high gain has more punch but it's not always what I like better. Sometimes it's a bit too pronounced. High gain on the Jotuheim changes the sound-signature for me, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse depending on what I'm listening to or the headphones I use so I'm always curious about someone else's perspective. :)

CAPT Deadpool, gljus and bcowen like this.
  11. sam6550a
    Since you abhor GE tubes, please send me all of the GE6550A valves that you have no use for.

CAPT Deadpool and bcowen like this.
  12. Ripper2860
    Jason actually posted somewhere that he felt that hi-gain had a more energetic sound and that the loss of that "energy" in low gain mode was likely due to the additional feedback used in the circuit to lower the gain for low gain mode. His suggestion was use high gain unless one had an issue with high sensitivity HP and noise or unless high-gain resulted in such a low volume control pot setting that it created a channel imbalance. Of course, it's a YMMV situation and having the switch makes it a user preference thing..

13. sam6550a
    Why not? Do you eschew entertainment?

14. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Great and thorough review.
    Nicely done. Compliments.
    And... you got to the hearth of a big problem.
    Most records are extremely crappy done and the better the schiit, the bigger this problem becomes.

15. Ripper2860
    Entertainment? Sure -- when it is funny and at his expense!! :D

AudioGal and bcowen like this.