Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 29, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #54,047 of 149,144
An Emotiva amp, you yourself have linked it to this thread before.

Actually, I believe I found out about that product from you.
AH! I thought you were talking about an LTA product from the link you posted. :)

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #54,049 of 149,144
@Jason Stoddard

Great Chapter like usual! On another note how is the balanced pre-amp that sounded like ass in SE coming? Also are Black Asgard's going to be back in stock anytime soon?

Unfortunately, I don't know about black Asgards--hopefully soon. If you want up-to-the-minute information, info@schiit.com will have a better read on that.

No idea what preamp you're talking about, sorry. I design a lot of stuff, lots of it doesn't ever get made.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 29, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #54,050 of 149,144
@Jason Stoddard

Great Chapter like usual! On another note how is the balanced pre-amp that sounded like ass in SE coming? Also are Black Asgard's going to be back in stock anytime soon?

just get freya S or freya+ and be happy. looks like either one will handle either SE or balanced sources and drive either one or two Aegir or Vidar amps (as long you're not running passive mode). GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) will kill our wallets

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #54,051 of 149,144
I could see the black and red theme becoming the Schiit standard... but then people would complain that black and green would fit their decor better I suppose.

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #54,052 of 149,144
By the way, if you're super-bored, here's an extension of some of the questions I asked in the chapter. I call it "The Engineer's Quiz." There are no prizes, sorry. Just something fun for the analog designers out there.

(And yeah, I'm bored, just kinda hanging out today, cleaning up from Thanksgiving yesterday.)

Engineers quiz

1. Why would you expect an op-amp design to measure better than a discrete design?
2. Why would you expect both op-amp and discrete designs to measure better in low gain than high gain?
3. Why would adding a driver stage to a discrete design affect the distortion performance?
4. Why might you have to re-compensate a discrete design when you add a driver stage?
5. What other techniques can be used to make a discrete amplifier measure better?
6. What is feedforward also known as, and how is it different than feedback? Bonus: write the s-domain equation for feedforward and negative feedback. Bonus bonus: recount the number of times you used s- or jw-domain simplifications as an engineer, and name the mathematical discipline they are simplifications of.
7. Which of the current TI audio op-amps claims highest distortion performance?
8. What factors will contribute to an engineer not replicating the claimed distortion performance numbers for an op-amp design?
9. How large of a difference will jack contact and cable routing make when performing measurements on low-distortion amplifiers?
10. What is the typical distortion level of a good loudspeaker transducer? (A range is fine, or multiple ranges for bass/midrange.)
11. What is the typical distortion level of a good headphone transducer? (Same notes above.)
12. How does transducer distortion compare to amplifier distortion in terms of level and profile?
13. What is the typical distortion level of a good recording microphone? Bonus: what is the distortion profile of the chain used to record your favorite music (microphone, preamp, processors, ADC, etc)?

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #54,053 of 149,144
just get freya S or freya+ and be happy. looks like either one will handle either SE or balanced sources and drive either one or two Aegir or Vidar amps (as long you're not running passive mode). GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) will kill our wallets

Freya is physically way too big for what I'm needing, now if Jotunheim had a remote control, it would be perfect...

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #54,055 of 149,144
Nov 29, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #54,056 of 149,144
I am confused. The picture of the Magni 3+ in the products website does not show a power LED on the front face, but the circuit board does have an LED. Am I missing something?

Magni 3+ has no LED. For the moment, Magni Heresy does. It's being phased out of both eventually. However, there is a place for it on both boards.

Last edited:

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #54,057 of 149,144
By the way, if you're super-bored, here's an extension of some of the questions I asked in the chapter. I call it "The Engineer's Quiz." There are no prizes, sorry. Just something fun for the analog designers out there.

(And yeah, I'm bored, just kinda hanging out today, cleaning up from Thanksgiving yesterday.)

Engineers quiz

1. Why would you expect an op-amp design to measure better than a discrete design?
2. Why would you expect both op-amp and discrete designs to measure better in low gain than high gain?
3. Why would adding a driver stage to a discrete design affect the distortion performance?
4. Why might you have to re-compensate a discrete design when you add a driver stage?
5. What other techniques can be used to make a discrete amplifier measure better?
6. What is feedforward also known as, and how is it different than feedback? Bonus: write the s-domain equation for feedforward and negative feedback. Bonus bonus: recount the number of times you used s- or jw-domain simplifications as an engineer, and name the mathematical discipline they are simplifications of.
7. Which of the current TI audio op-amps claims highest distortion performance?
8. What factors will contribute to an engineer not replicating the claimed distortion performance numbers for an op-amp design?
9. How large of a difference will jack contact and cable routing make when performing measurements on low-distortion amplifiers?
10. What is the typical distortion level of a good loudspeaker transducer? (A range is fine, or multiple ranges for bass/midrange.)
11. What is the typical distortion level of a good headphone transducer? (Same notes above.)
12. How does transducer distortion compare to amplifier distortion in terms of level and profile?
13. What is the typical distortion level of a good recording microphone? Bonus: what is the distortion profile of the chain used to record your favorite music (microphone, preamp, processors, ADC, etc)?

Can we get the answers in a future forum entry? Or are there no answers only opinions? I'm not an engineer but would like to learn.

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #54,058 of 149,144
Can we get the answers in a future forum entry? Or are there no answers only opinions? I'm not an engineer but would like to learn.

There are answers to all of the questions (13 of them, since Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy mean we're up to 13 products released this year.)

However, some of them are gonna be tricky, or will need some caveats. For example, #7--at what output level and load, or are you talking about a "parametric sort for lowest THD?" #10 and 11--for many speakers, it will be difficult to find stated specs, or they will be stated in a range, so some discussion would be welcome. And for #13, well, it may be difficult period, and the bonus may not be answerable unless you are a recording engineer who knows the entire chain and has access to test equipment.

But yeah, I can put up my answers before the next chapter in a couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back