1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. leonthebumme
    You know I have one simple request. And that is to have Bifrosts with frickin laser beams!

2. dieslemat
    Anyone here who owns an Yggdrasil A2 and Bifrost 2? Need to ask some questions privately :)

3. Timster
    They all used to have white lasers (aka power indicators), but lately these have been toned down :laughing:

4. wout31
    The WHITE led's are still there, so you have :ksc75smile:

leonthebumme, bcowen and Timster like this.
  5. EricDH
    Wait for the transport (disc spinner)....

6. bcowen
    I think this is the kind of laser beam @leonthebumme was hoping for. Me too. :laughing:

upload_2019-11-26_7-16-21.png

7. ludvigrollover

Just use a sharpie to mark the direction. It’s the method approved at the highest levels of government.

8. HK_sends
    They also use plenty of instructional signs like, "This end goes here. If it doesn't work, try the other end.":smiling_imp:

Cheers!:beerchug:
    -HK sends

9. tin-ear
    Another Major Major Major (there's a Catch 22 in there) factor is how long any transport will likely be available. Option 1 is to buy a slew of them, and hope you guess the right quantity. Option 2 is to look at your crystal ball, um, your carbon fibre ion crystal ball, and try to make an educated guess that this company is solvent, and will likely keep making them for many years.

yonson, ScubaMan2017 and bcowen like this.
  10. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    The Phillips CD-PRO is still made new.
    I think it's one of the best transports ever built so no shame to put one of those in the Schiit Spinner.

11. bcowen
    Yeah, but you never know how long Philips will be around. Based on the tubes they made in the '90's and '00's, they should be bankrupt by now. :laughing:

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  12. Varejao17
    Yeah, I was shocked at the lack of disc spinner options when I needed to replace one earlier this year. I agree that a top loader should, all things being equal, be a more durable design. That said, I'd take a slot loader over a tray.

ed

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    grokit likes this.
  13. Derrick Swart
    that is a very personal question ... which i could tell you yes and go public with this :ksc75smile:

leonthebumme likes this.
  14. grokit
    Apologies in advance...

I love my new Ragnarok 2. But this one feature really bugs me, and was almost a dealbreaker.

I didn't read this past summer's discussion until now, so I've recapped.
    How about this way:

1. :white_check_mark: Speakers only, :white_check_mark: pre-outs on (It's a speaker amp!)
    2. :white_check_mark: Headphones only, :white_check_mark: pre-outs on (due to requests)
    3. :white_check_mark: Speakers on, :white_check_mark: Headphones on, :x: pre-outs off (more balanced power management, so no 'perceived penalty')

The microprocessor switch still gets to shut the pre-outs off, but somewhere that makes more sense.
    It's great that we now have the option to run subs with headphones, but this doesn't address why we can't run subwoofers in speaker-only mode. Or powered monitors for that matter.
    You still haven't answered why you thought it was necessary to disable the pre-outs in speaker-only mode. On a speaker amp. It seems like an oversight to me as well.
    I agree that making the preamp always active would be a far better solution, and would have made the Ragnarok 2 a real contender in the pre-amp and speaker amp categories.
    One feature I've seen on other high-end amps, is a switch on the back that lets the user select between having pre-outs, or making them into a pass-through connection.
    It's a nice feature, that facilitates adding more Schiit :)
    This is the only thing about my new amp that bugs me. I know there's no performance penalty, but it feels stupidly inefficient to have to unplug my headphones when using speakers, because there's no other way to have the speakers playing with the subwoofer. I love my new amp otherwise, I just kinda hate this part. Why even have a speaker-only mode, if you can't run the subs along side of them?

Sorry to derail, but I had to vent. Rant over, back to the music.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  15. Rensek
    +1 on this feature. Schiit likes having toggle switches in back, I think this would be a nice rolling change. I hate to be a killjoy, but the current preamp function seems be controversial. I have at least two friends from this hobby that were excited about the amp, until the preamp functionality was revealed. Their joy was killed by it. Thankfully, for me, Aegir and Bifrost 2 have taken my gaze from Ragnarok 2.

S-S-MR, ScubaMan2017, bcowen and 2 others like this.