1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. wout31
    IMG_20191121_094748.jpg

thebmc, Darthpool, AudioGal and 8 others like this.
  2. johnjen
    Did you read the directions on how to cook your cables that way?
    I mean in order to achieve audiophool levels of cookedness, there is a delicate balance on the dia-electrolyte levels ya know…

hahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  3. unsane69
    They should be al dente. Throw them at the wall, if they stick they're done.

audio philestine, US Blues and EricDH like this.
  4. johnjen
    OR, it could be that the magic smoke escaped and mixed with the water and the dia-electrolyte and made a toxic glue like goo…
    Cook'n cables, using this method isn't for the inexperienced nor the squeamish, personal safety precautions are highly recommended in any event…

JJ :ksc75smile:

5. Tim van der Leeuw
    Yeah, directions. Almost forgot, good cables are directional... You should plug them in the right way round, they're supposed to have arrows imprinted on them on the connectors.
    If you don't do it right, the electrons will have to struggle against the grain of the cable, which causes loss of signal and quality. They will also not be properly cooked.

Quote:
    https://arstechnica.com/staff/2015/...-10000-ethernet-cable-apparently-makes-sense/

And if you have always been curious how such marvel of a cable is constructed but were too afraid to tear it open yourself, at such cost:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...40-audiophile-ethernet-cable-and-look-inside/

Edit: Also the the comments at the bottom of the 2nd article are worth reading, wrt. noise and grounding vs shielding.

bcowen likes this.
  6. Ripper2860
    If one wants to properly cook a cable and dielectric they must use an ELECTRIC stove. Everyone knows a gas stove won't work. :smirk:

Darthpool, AudioGal, US Blues and 6 others like this.
  7. crazychile
    Regarding a preference between slot load, drawer, or top load...I think people are forgetting that this is not the golden age of transports where the big companies are making a variety of quality transport mechanisms that are available to sell to specialty companies. Choices are very limited and will have some bearing on the loading type. Unless Schiit commissions something specifically to their standards, but that will be very expensive and require buying in very large quantities. I don't see that happening, but I could be wrong.

The transport can have a significant impact on the BOM costs. In keeping with Schiits philosophy of high value, lower cost products, I'm going to make a guess that the target price of the transport is likely to be in the $350-$700 range. Even $600-$700 is probably too high unless it does something wondrous, even beyond incorporating Unison.

Not knowing what's available in an OEM transport these days, I'm guessing that the main challenge is to find something thats either really good yet affordable, or pretty good and affordable but could be modified or implemented in such a way that it's really good.

In any case, I need a transport and will likely be buying when it first comes available.

8. yonson
    I hope you only used deionized water along with iodized salt...

9. bcowen
    I've had much better results using the rotisserie accessory on the grill. A bit labor intensive 'cause you have to watch it continuously and quickly douse any flare ups, although there is the added bonus that you can cook dinner at the same time. Then my laziness took over and I bought a dedicated unit. :slight_smile:

10. bcowen
    This would be like driving your car in reverse all the time. :slight_smile:

Seriously, although I've tried, I am not able to detect a difference in sound based solely on which way the signal is traveling in a wire or cable. There can logically be a difference in a shielded cable where the shield is connected only on one end. But even then I've failed miserably at hearing any difference significant enough to care about. Perhaps the difference would manifest itself more audibly in an RFI-noisy environment or with longer cable runs than I've had experience with.

11. yonson
    Honestly the best process involves 3 steps, well ok I'm not gonna lie it's really 4... I'm not going to give away all my secrets though, so I'm going to be vague.

1. Prep - THE absolute MOST important step!
    2. Cook Phase 1 - key here is a SLOW rolling boil...
    3. Shock freezing
    4. Big Green Egg

12. bcowen
    All good except #4. That's been proven in multiple scientifically rigorous double blind tests to be pure marketing BS. Haven't tried it myself though, so YMMV. :smile:

13. Paladin79
    There are reasons to connect a shield on one end only on some cables but generally not for short runs in audio. That being said, I have so many devices running in my house at any given time that I will often use directional shielded cables just to be safe, it may be overkill but it is how I do it. What I stay away from is connecting both the ground wires and shields to the same points on both ends of a cable, this can create a ground loop and act as an antenna, thus you leave one end of the shield unattached.

This is when using cables with two conductors and a shield, in most coaxial cable the shield is the second conductor so it has to be connected at both ends.

S-S-MR, FLTWS, QueYo and 1 other person like this.
  14. wout31
    1. Directional cables in my cooker. No problem on my side of the globe the water turning (draining a tub) is right, so the end of the cable must point to the right and the beginning to the left. Please note countries like Australia and New Zealand have to reverse this!
    2. Gas instead of electric stove. Largely made mistake that gas won't work. The gas drives out the air in the copper, so in that way I get OFC quality with non OFC cable. Free upgrade. If cooked long enough reaches 99.9999%
    3. Deionized water. Check.
    4. Ionized salt. Check.

Looks like we desperately are in need of a new chapter or information on new upcoming products. The Thread is getting more and more gibberish

yonson and Tim van der Leeuw like this.
  15. Ableza
    God I hate all the nonsense about cables that continues to pollute audio forums. I'll come back when this has run its course. Again.

saddleup, Byronb, Matro5 and 14 others like this.