Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 11, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #53,313 of 148,575
Re: cable isolators

For those of us who are, ahem, cost conscious, can I use cheap ceramic coffee cups from the local thrift store?

Half joking, half serious.
the term is "cost efficient"

just loop the wires through the handles. stack two interlocking mugs for more height.

edit: I posted this before looking thru the entire thread. @Ripper2860 already posted a response. @Ripper2860 try zicam or cold-eze zinc lozenges... works for me on a cold :wink:

and in the news... thrift stores and garage sales reporting a sudden surge in second-hand coffee mug sales

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #53,314 of 148,575
the term is "cost efficient"

just loop the wires through the handles. stack two interlocking mugs for more height.

edit: I posted this before looking thru the entire thread. @Ripper2860 already posted a response. @Ripper2860 try zicam or cold-eze zinc lozenges... works for me on a cold :wink:

and in the news... thrift stores and garage sales reporting a sudden surge in second-hand coffee mug sales

My wife may be making some in pottery class. Solid so they do not tip, with the groove in the top, and in purple perhaps. :ksc75smile:

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #53,315 of 148,575
Of course you need to keep rubbing it! That’s what keeps us in this hobby, all the rubbing!
Some people use wood blocks with a V-notch cut in the top to cradle the cable.

This image does not belong to me.

DSC_3758.jpg

How do you explain that to a normal person? "Oh, it's an art installation."

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #53,319 of 148,575
I would think so, but the cables may not stay on them very well. I am going to try to talk my wife into making some in her pottery class lol. She is always looking for ideas anyway and a guy can only use X number of ceramic chess sets.

How many would you think you need? I bet I can get her to make something more substantial and solid with a nice groove in the top. Maybe even in purple. :ksc75smile: @bcowen only gets green though, I have to adhere to some standards.

Quit being chintzy. I want green AND purple. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #53,320 of 148,575
You just need one to avoid drowning in your soup.

Soup is for wussies. Real men eat steak. A steak needs a plate, and 3 Furutech thingies are required to properly balance the plate in a tripod configuration. So I need at least 3.

And I thought *I* was bad at math. :relaxed:

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #53,321 of 148,575
They are rumored to exist.

I've heard of them, but just chalked it up to legend. Or another version of snake oil. :relaxed:

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #53,322 of 148,575
Hey all,

Just a few quick updates:

1. The Sol beta is really coming along. I think we're getting a handle on it now. If the feedback from the beta team on the new parts is good, I believe we will be able to start shipping by early December. But let's make sure everyone is happy first. And we have to redo the setup video and manual, because now it's a lot simpler. Especially if you end up getting a Sol with an included cartridge (yes, we're evaluating cartridges now.) Of course, you'll still be able to buy Sol without a cartridge.

2. On that note, please come see us at the Schiitr this Thursday if you have a chance, from 6-10 PM. We'll be trying out some of the candidate cartridges on Sol, and we'll also be repeating the blind delta-sigma vs True Multibit test, now with 100% more level matching (we'll bring an Avermetrics.) Plus we'll have the Jotunheim R and the Raal headphones there. It'll be a whole bunch of fun for everyone! Bring the wife! Bring the kids! No, wait, never mind....

3. You'll see a new chapter this week, with any luck. Then it'll be a couple of weeks before another chapter. Yes, if you're bored on Black Friday, we'll likely have something for you to read...

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 11, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #53,323 of 148,575
I do have to admit that I started a campaign to save the snakes from the snake oil milking farms.
I mean really do you have ANY idea how many snakes it takes to produce just 1 oz of pure genuine snake oil?
Rest assured the number would shock you as it did me when I investigated this issue of snake oil harvesting.

And I have found a suitable substitute which is environmentally friendly, with ZERO carbon footprint, and already is being harvested, and is usually just tossed away as being a 'waste' product.
This is a win-win-win-win-win for us audiophools, the environment, climate change, the whole worlds eco system, and of course the snakes.

Yes Shark Oil®©™ has come to the rescue to save the much maligned snakes from being over harvested into oblivion.
And of course this now revealed secret ingredient, squalane oil, will save us AND the snakes from having to listen to
poor SQ.
Not to mention carrying the guilt of supporting all of the harvesting of those abused, tortured and erroneously targeted snakes.

Yes it's true, squalane oil, is the answer to this vexing problem and the way forward to do our part in eliminating this injustice to the innocent global snake population.

Won't you do your part and join us in this thriving movement today?

JJ hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaa :ksc75smile:

I hate snakes. Oil the bastards.

Gotta run and feed my pet shark right now...

:laughing:

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #53,324 of 148,575
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 11, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #53,325 of 148,575
Plus we'll have the Jotunheim R and the Raal headphones there.

Anyone that's even vaguely interested in the SR1a should try and make it just for this.

I've had a couple of weeks with the Jotunheim R and am even more enthusiastic about it now than I was when I first received it (a "production qualifier" unit). It goes toe-to-toe with much more expensive power/speaker amplifiers (I started to find parity around the $5,000 mark), and doesn't need the SR1a's interface box. And it puts the tonal profile of the SR1a in what I expect will be in a more agreeable initial spot for most new-SR1a-listeners.

Looking forward to production ... as I am definitely buying one to add SR1a capability to my office rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back