Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #52,006 of 149,109
Lmao! No, just no. I may never be done with this one. Now @bcowen is making a miniature version and the man is natural born mercenary, I could coach him a bit and maybe he could come up with a reasonable facsimile.:ksc75smile: It only took me seven or eight lessons before he figured out which end of a soldering iron to hold but he got it, eventually. The man is starting to show potential, albeit slowly.

Now that's an excessive exaggeration and you know it. It only took me *4* times on the soldering iron. Pain is a fantastic teacher. But I *am* still trying to figure out how to get the solder to flow down the glass without getting it all over the side of the base, and a half pound of solder per tube is getting kind of expensive. Give me time. I always figure it out in the end (except for when I don't in which case I get someone else to do it for me). :laughing:

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #52,007 of 149,109
Now that's an excessive exaggeration and you know it. It only took me *4* times on the soldering iron. Pain is a fantastic teacher. But I *am* still trying to figure out how to get the solder to flow down the glass without getting it all over the side of the base, and a half pound of solder per tube is getting kind of expensive. Give me time. I always figure it out in the end (except for when I don't in which case I get someone else to do it for me). :laughing:
Four times? eight times? why would you want to interject facts into this discussion? It is my story and I will tell it however I see fit.
By the way I look forward to trying out different tubes in the Mjolnir, your kindness is only exceeded by your sense of humor and in these dark times, everyone needs a good laugh.

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #52,008 of 149,109
Lmao! No, just no. I may never be done with this one. Now @bcowen is making a miniature version and the man is natural born mercenary, I could coach him a bit and maybe he could come up with a reasonable facsimile.:ksc75smile: It only took me seven or eight lessons before he figured out which end of a soldering iron to hold but he got it, eventually. The man is starting to show potential, albeit slowly.

I'll shoot some pictures of my rip-off similar rack when I get done with it. May take a while though, 'cause I'm not sure whether to have the brass rods electron-tunneled and then cryo treated, or do it in the reverse order. Probably have to try it both ways to see which sounds best. I already have the boards being FedEx'd to Tibet for blessing by the monks, but I was promised a quick turnaround as they're looking for work right now. Just hope they don't rush through the blessing...:laughing:

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #52,009 of 149,109
Four times? eight times? why would you want to interject facts into this discussion? It is my story and I will tell it however I see fit.
By the way I look forward to trying out different tubes in the Mjolnir, your kindness is only exceeded by your sense of humor and in these dark times, everyone needs a good laugh.

Tubes on the way...should be in your hands Friday. Probably try the D getters last -- if they're as good as @Wes S is indicating, the other versions will probably suck. LOL!

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #52,010 of 149,109
I'll shoot some pictures of my rip-off similar rack when I get done with it. May take a while though, 'cause I'm not sure whether to have the brass rods electron-tunneled and then cryo treated, or do it in the reverse order. Probably have to try it both ways to see which sounds best. I already have the boards being FedEx'd to Tibet for blessing by the monks, but I was promised a quick turnaround as they're looking for work right now. Just hope they don't rush through the blessing...:laughing:
This is a much more simple to have the boards blessed. Your sacrificing a rooster every time you tested a tube must have put a real strain on the male poultry population in North Carolina. Any more of that and you could have to venture into South Carolina and loose your Yankee status.

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #52,011 of 149,109
... The bias resistors alone run at 270ºF and there are 2 of them. ...
270ºF :thermometer: that's Fahrenheit isn't it?
I remember my grandad :older_man: talking about it, do you have to use old temperature scales when it's about thermionic valve equipment? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #52,012 of 149,109
When going for the monk blessing option I found it's WAY better to send blessings to them 1st (along with one of them bulging little red envelopes) not just for the quick turn around but to make sure that the added extra special secret sauce that's not listed on the brochure is included in the 'deal'.

And according to quantum entanglement theory, those little tunnels gets 'fixed' when the cryo treatment is applied last.
You don't want those little tunnels breaking down and resonating willy nillly… (Oh, the horror!!)

And you did send them some of your tears for the cryo process right?
I mean that's like the extra special icing on the cake and customized just for you, don't cha' know…

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhaahahaa

JJ

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #52,013 of 149,109
270ºF :thermometer: that's Fahrenheit isn't it?
I remember my grandad :older_man: talking about it, do you have to use old temperature scales when it's about thermionic valve equipment? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Yeah my old thermionic scales did need to be gone thru and the vectored thrust bearings re-worked. They haven't made them in a long time so replacement parts are like non existent, even on ebuy.
And I had to do it myself because no matter who I talked to, they, more or less, said they couldn't help me, as they had NO idea what I was talking about.
But it was so worth the $$$$ and effort, and now I'm probably the only guy with a working thermionic vectored scale in existence.
And my tubz are happy that I'm happy because I have their number…

hahahahahahahahahahahhhahaha

JJ

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #52,016 of 149,109
Glad you like it. I did find it on Amazon but, on my computer, it only shows up as 24/48. To say that I dislike the Amazon Music app would be a major understatement. "Ultra HD" = 24/48? Misleading at best. Amazon needs to do better, but I suspect the general public won't notice.
24 bit 48 kHz is very much ultra HD or whatever you call it. Even 24 bit 44.1 kHz is ultra HD in that sense. You most probably won't hear the difference with 24 bit 96 kHz
The quality of the app is quite another subject. I love the music quality of Qobuz, the app not so much.

Oct 16, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #52,017 of 149,109
This is a much more simple to have the boards blessed. Your sacrificing a rooster every time you tested a tube must have put a real strain on the male poultry population in North Carolina. Any more of that and you could have to venture into South Carolina and loose your Yankee status.

Send him up to Massachusetts, and we'll fix his Yankee status for him...

Unless he comes bearing tubes :wink:

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #52,018 of 149,109
Send him up to Massachusetts, and we'll fix his Yankee status for him...

Unless he comes bearing tubes :wink:

I could be wrong but I believe Bill has GE tubes with him at all times.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #52,019 of 149,109
I was being facetious of course. I have seen some of Bill's soldering on Cary equipment and his work is exceptional. Replacing the solder in tube pins is not easy and he is getting that down as well.:smile_phones:

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #52,020 of 149,109
Right now I'm still waiting for designs. Remember when you talked about the problems that come from designs by committee? Yea that's me right now and it's going to be the death of semiconductor fabrication industry innovation. Or at least it feels like that right now. Too many cooks, too many egos, too many competing desires, too many unnecessary requirements and incompatible standards. I'd love to just be waiting for parts... or rather to be managing a project for a small company where the designer creates the design without seven layers of bureaucracy. :wink:
Been there, done that. Spent 37 years in aerospace/communications and have seen a slow decline in the innovative design process due to design by committee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back