1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Alcophone
    Ah, thanks. I was typing while he posted his response.

Thank you! I totally accept what you choose to do, especially that you're not casually adding a DIP8 socket to an otherwise unchanged design. Makes sense.
    A product built specifically for opamp swapping could be interesting, and while others do make some, I would not be surprised if you could do it better than many. :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  2. CAPT Deadpool
    I for one trust that Jason will use the right opamp for the application.

Break Break

If anyone wants to roll opamps I suggest you build a Whammy or ask someone to build one for you, it is pretty easy, just start with the smallest parts first when soldering and double/triple check the BOM when attaching the components. Then try opamp rolling with the list of opamps that are listed as compatible. This includes discrete opamp boards like the one @Paladin79 has used. Opamp rolling is pretty far down on the scale of diminishing returns. The circuit is more critical.

The benefit of the Whammy and other DIY amps is you can play with swapping different components if you choose or add features. Some people have used massive poly, film/foil, or oil in paper caps. Others have added selector switches or swap the potentiometer (coincidentally the stock design calls for same series of Alps Pots that Schiit uses in many of their mid tier headamps) for stepped attenuators.

sam6550a and Mike-WI like this.
  3. golfbravobravo
    But, but, but..... Aren't we a Democratic Republic?

audio philestine likes this.
  4. Alcophone
    My experience with opamps is limited to the stock IC opamps in the Burson Fun, Burson Bang and Gustard H20 vs. four discrete types, Burson Classic, Burson Vivid, Sonic Imagery Labs 992/994-Enh-Ticha, and SparkoS SS3601/3602. I find the differences between them in those products more immediately noticeable than changing DACs, on par with the difference I heard when going from a Tung-Sol tube to LISST in the original Saga. Otherwise a product dedicated to swapping opamps wouldn't make much sense, of course.
    Just saying, I'm surprised by the notion that swapping opamps only makes a negligible difference. But maybe that's generally the case for the IC ones, I don't know.

Paladin79 likes this.
  5. golfbravobravo
    I have no idea who Jason might have in mind when he says this............

Nope, non at all.

6. adydula
    earnmyturns,

Well the secret is out your one of the early beta testers..neat.

Still enjoying the new musical experience here....on thing that really comes across is listening to live performances, they indeed come alive more so than ever.

One example is Dire Straits, The Alchemy series, listening to Going Home, Theme from Local Hero,..the boys start out low and slow and it takes a few minutes to get into
    the meat of the performance, its like this on a lot of there cuts....so befor Unison its always a crank up to hear whats going on.

Via this Unison interface its so clear that you can really enjoy an live presentation and hear all the "stuff", audience, AC hum from speakers on stage!!, etc..even at low volumes.
    The openess and blackness (quiet background) allows for a much more dynamic experience.

So what I am wondering now is how much better could it get if we used a Schitt CD transport etc....instead of ripped flacs...

If the rumor is this potential transport might have a USB interface how would this work with Unison and external dacs etc..

hmmm

Alex

(Note Jason, I gladly volunteer to beta test this!!)

earnmyturns and Jason Stoddard like this.
  7. Jheal
    @Jason Stoddard In the Sol manual the text associated with Step 4 (install the drive belt) of the setup refers to Figure E which itself shows the cartridge. I think it should probably refer to Figure D. Am I wrong? Did I miss something?

CAPT Deadpool and Jason Stoddard like this.
  8. Paladin79
    An interesting analogy between the Tung-Sol tube and the Lisst and the op-amps. Some of my testing was limited to the circuit changes I could make to accommodate other op-amps. As in all things like this, it depends on the audience.

I wish I would have had Lisst to run past @bcowen during our tube challenge though, it would have been fun, (other than what it might have done to his tube tester.) Here is a man who can not only hear differences in tubes but in many cases tell you which brand and type he is hearing, blind. This was not even A/B testing, he was plugging each of eight tubes into his Lyr 3 one at a time.

Next week folks visiting Schiit will probably be further impressed with his abilities when some of them try this for themselves. I have never been of the belief that just because I cannot hear a difference, no one else can. The most I can say on occasion is a particular group could or could not distinguish between cables, or whatever.

9. Tim van der Leeuw
    I've been eyeing Schiit products for a couple of months now, unable to decide on anything, but Asgard 3 might just hit the sweet spot for me when it comes to size, capability, and price, vs what I need out of it. (Which is something that connects to a PC via the USB, nothing else, and does a great job of giving great sound on a couple of mid-range cans which I have).

I'm wondering however, the USB DACs that can be put in Asgard 3, what kind of USB do they have? Is that equal to USB gen 5?
    When Unison USB is out in 2020, will there be a Unison USB option for Asgard 3?
    Or will that be reserved for the standalone DACs?

Thanks for your answers, interesting products, and the interesting stories!

--Tim

10. Alcophone
    It's gen 2, unfortunately. An iFi iSilencer for $50 helped quite a bit in my case, though possibly not as much as other solutions.

11. Tim van der Leeuw
    Hm ok thanks. So I'll still be looking at either a separate DAC, or another extra box (like the iFi iSilencer -- will need to look that up). Now what DAC would pair best with an Asgard 3 without breaking the bank...?

12. Derrick Swart
    Choices so many choices
    I like the down to earth schiity choices

13. Derrick Swart
    Yep they were kind to you

14. Jason Stoddard
    Actually, more like Gen 2.8675, and it's not "unfortunate." I use the internal multibit card on Lyr 3 pretty much every day with no decrapifiers, no fancy USB cable (well, PYST), no magic pebbles, no emotional support animals. It's fine.

Can we do better in the future? Sure, maybe, but the future is a long way away.

Now, if you need more inputs, an external DAC makes total sense. If you want a one-box do-all (like I do on my own desk,) then either the 4490 or True Multibit cards work great with Asgard 3.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  15. Jason Stoddard
    If anyone wants to be a future beta tester for digital products, definitely PM Mike.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/