1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Jason Stoddard
    Mike's actual words: "103R is seriously (expletive deleted)in good."

There are other options out there, but this is an excellent one.

Still waiting for effective mass details. Everyone is tied up at the show.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    SoupRKnowva, thebmc, sam6550a and 4 others like this.
  2. xuan87
    sounds like it's a good time to put in another call for a higher end Mani? If that's still possible? Lol. Just a thought that if someone is pairing a $1000 cartridge with a $799 turntable, they'll probably want to spend abit more on their phono.

Seems like the Sol is not targeted for overseas customers for the moment, so I do get some time to save up. Plus I can't justify $120 plus for the shipping (though i'm sure it's warranted) and should just wait for the local distributor to be able to bring it in. I'll check with them.

3. Ripper2860
    Congratulations and kudos to all involved in the design and development of Sol. It is an engineering marvel and a splendid example of form meets function. I expected no less than a groundbreaking and price shattering product from Schiit. Man, when you guys set your mind to something, it will likely be amazing!! I can't wait to see what surprises the looming CD spinner will have!!

4. tincanear
    @Jason Stoddard, is the Sol motor rated to run at 50Hz without overheating? if so, why not just include a different (larger) pulley for 50Hz usage?

@Baldr I Hope your health improves.

Congratulations on the recent product launches!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. Alcophone
    Yeah, but... something about putting SparkoS in my Schiit sounds really intriguing, cause I like them both!

What do you consider to be the essential difference to providing amps with swappable tubes?

Mind you, I'm not interested in cheap IC opamps, the discrete ones seem to be where it's at. It's the solid state equivalent to tube rolling to me.

Is there some important difference about a discrete opamp in a DIP8 socket vs. the same circuitry directly on the PCB? Or is the point about fully discrete designs that there are better types of amplification than the "operational" one?

Also, congrats to everyone involved for shipping Sol! That's a major accomplishment. Pure mechanics will be too boring for you now, so I'm sure you'll work on a record cleaner next. What's Norse for Golden Shower again?
    I admit that the video convinced me more than ever that vinyl is just way too finicky for me, but at the same time I like the idea of having a Sol to look at...

Edit: I'm impressed you stuck with the 5% restocking fee given the many parts, and the increased wear and tear on them. 10% or even 15% would not have surprised me.

6. ProfFalkin
    @Jason Stoddard -

I am disappointed.

I watched the video twice, and I saw neither chicken powder nor cocaine.

Do I put these powders on the bearing or the platter? Do I use a light dusting, or really pack it in there? Which powder sounds more audiophile?

(I like high energy music, so I think I know the answer, but I don't want to run a fowl of preconceived notions messing up the sound.)

Could you have Tony remake the video to include these details?

Thanks!

Congrats on the release!

7. tincanear
    Op-amps themselves are very complex circuits, with several stages, often designed for very high open loop gain, low power consumption, etc. If you look at the typical pinout for 8-pin dual op-amps, they have two power supply pins, and for each "amplifier" 3 more pins (an inverting input, a non-inverting input, and an output pin), but no ground. Parasitic capacitances and inductances between the main circuit board and the discrete "opamp" may effect circuit operation / stability. The inductance of one-half-inch of wire or circuit board trace can form a resonant LC circuit with the power supply bypass capacitors at megahertz frequencies, for instance, injecting high frequency noise onto the power supply of the discrete op amp module.

Properly selected for the application, and with careful circuit board layout, commercial high performance op-amps (better spec-wise than NE5532, and a lot more expensive) like the ones used by Mike and Jason as buffers or I-V stages on the DAC chip outputs can sound pretty nice.

FWIW, I recently purchased a Bifrost and Asgard 2 (prior to the new product launches)... both b-stock (no 15-day return policy) ... just my luck :frowning2: They sound great using an old cd player with SPDIF digital output as source. :) :)

Change out the Bifrost op-amps??? er… no. but Unison USB module upgrade may be another story :)

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  8. Tro95
    Sol looks awesome, I can't wait for it to be available with a European motor.

Jason, I'm curious why the counterweight on the tonearm is locked with a screw, as opposed to threading the counterweight and mounting so it can be adjusted via twisting? It seems like a much simpler way to get to the desired tracking force, as the video suggests it's quite difficult to make precise changes.

9. GearMe
    It's funny how some products / product lines stand the test of time...the Denon 103 has been a great value for a long time!

barondla likes this.
  10. nerone
    I don't see any reason not to swap op-amps. I think this is also a valid experience.

The only difference I see is that due to the limited life of tubes swapping them is a necessity, so the amplifier will have a reasonable life before it needs to be fixed by a technician. Being able to try different brands and models of tubes is a welcomed side effect. For op-amps there is no need to, but if possible is also a welcomed feature.

My point is that considering the little I know about schiit, rolling op-amps is not something Jason is willing to do, specially condiering someone would need to open the amplifier, and he is really against that for safety reasons.

11. CAPT Deadpool
    You'll need the space for the Gjallarhorn assembly line! :deadhorse::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Of course to simplify things I'd be cool with a DIY speaker as long as it included a knock down kit. Not sure how you feel about DIY post-Coaster, but I enjoyed building the Coaster amps, it was my intro to my DIY habit.

Love the Dark Tower III reference! Dada chum dada che.

12. Redcarmoose
    Is the Sol lossless audio format or lossy....or hi-res?

A95A9ACD-1535-4776-9FA3-8D4C6CC5F53F.jpeg

13. Ableza
    I know you were not asking me but it seems the obvious difference is tubes are generally external, protected from lethal voltages, and designed to be changed by a user. Opamps are not.

14. Ableza
    analog.jpg

15. CAPT Deadpool
    Further, having built the Whammy (likely the DIY Amp referenced earlier); while it uses 8 pin DIP OPAMP sockets there are a limited number of opamps in the 8 pin PDIP form factor that can be used just for the very simple reason that they vary widely in which pins serve which I/O function. This is before you even begin to consider power tolerances and other more detailed specs.
    Think about what happens if you stick the wrong octal tube in to an octal socket in your Freya, not pointing any fingers here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Or mis-orientate (Army-ism) your loctal tube into your dual mono triode adapter in an unnamed hybrid amp. Pointing finger at self on this one, but hey I thought the whole point of the loctal was to prevent mis-insertion. But in my case no harm was done due to quick response and robust amp design.

If you release the magic smoke the audio joy goes away.

audio philestine, rollinbr and Ableza like this.