Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 29, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #49,847 of 148,561
I would suspect you are in the minority on liking that. They illuminate my dark room very well. I'd prefer a softer glow.

But in a world where RBG is king...!!!!

I hear you though - a lot of power status lights could be a bit dimmer. Nothing worse than watching a show or doing some work and having that light out of the corner of your eye.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #49,848 of 148,561
I would suspect you are in the minority on liking that. They illuminate my dark room very well. I'd prefer a softer glow.
I agree. They are a bit too bright. But I'd still rather have them then not.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #49,850 of 148,561
Aug 29, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #49,851 of 148,561
Bimby, Mimby and Gumby are all nicknames that came from the Schiit community to distinguish them from their respective DS counterparts. Yggy was probably just to follow the trend and to shorten it.

Personally I am happy the Bifrost 2 doesnt have a DS version (?) so going forward people will just call it Bifrost. Its already a cool name and even cooler to pronounce the names properly

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #49,852 of 148,561
@Jason Stoddard Seems like your article for Asgard 3 and Bifrost 2 in About section is future dated September 28th.

Fixed!

I like the sound of Bamby (Bifrost Automomy Multibit) but Bamu would be more accurate (Bifrost Autonomy Multibit Unison). Maybe someone else has a better acronym, have to see what catches on. Does Schiit have an in house nickname for Bifrost 2?

Yes. It's "Bifrost 2." Please for the love of God (and my sanity, and most importantly, GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS), kill the nicknames. If everyone loves "bammi" or "banh mi" or whatever, but one person craps all over "Bifrost," guess what happens when people search for "Bifrost." Yeah.

The main reason it will be an (admittedly minor) issue for me is that I plan on stacking my Lyr 2 on top of it, so I won't be able to see any light coming from its top.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I just like seeing those little white LEDs shining in the darkness.

You shouldn't stack anything on top of Asgard 3--you need the ventilation. From the manual:

1 Vents. Asgard 3 runs 500mW of Class A bias (for 32 ohm loads), so it runs plenty warm. Don’t block these vents, and don’t spill your Chardonnay in them, either. Nor coffee. Nor Coke. Or let your cat throw up in it. You get the basic idea, right?

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 29, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #49,853 of 148,561
I'm waiting until Schiit moves into manufacturing speakers then Ill have a complete Schiit ecosystem.

Schiit "Dagr" transport -> Bifrost 2 -> Saga -> Vidar -> "Schiit Odin speakers"

I've become a Schiit shill. I've been buying their products since they've started. I've liked everything they've put out even the original Lyr and Bifrost.

^ I really have no idea if that's the transport name but if so Im buying a lottery ticket.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #49,854 of 148,561
Aug 29, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #49,855 of 148,561
Bimby, Mimby and Gumby are all nicknames that came from the Schiit community to distinguish them from their respective DS counterparts. Yggy was probably just to follow the trend and to shorten it.

Personally I am happy the Bifrost 2 doesnt have a DS version (?) so going forward people will just call it Bifrost. Its already a cool name and even cooler to pronounce the names properly

Actually we started it with Yggy, that was an internal shortcut because, yeah, the name is ridiculous. Wait till I do a Gjallarhorn someday. So it's our fault. But it keeps biting us in the ass. When people look for comments on Yggdrasil, they miss Yggy. So I've been forcing myself to type out Yggdrasil every time I talk about it these days.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #49,856 of 148,561
I'm probably wrong, but it seems like the Bifrost2 has the same form factor as the Valhalla and Jotunheim, but is priced to match the Lyr. I wonder if there might not be a demand for a DAC in the 9x6 footprint and $300-$400 range.
This is actually a great idea.

So Jason, here's another one of my 'elevator product pitches' for ya!

Bifrost 2 Jr (or whatever you want to call it)

- same 9" x 6.75" chassis as Bifrost 2
- nothing modular (to keep costs down)
- no remote (to keep cost down)
- comes with Unison USB
- MicroSD slot for future firmware updates
- AD5547 16 bit chips (x2)
- single-ended RCA out only
- same or similar power supply as Bifrost 2
- $399

Boom.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #49,858 of 148,561
Actually we started it with Yggy, that was an internal shortcut because, yeah, the name is ridiculous. Wait till I do a Gjallarhorn someday. So it's our fault. But it keeps biting us in the ass. When people look for comments on Yggdrasil, they miss Yggy. So I've been forcing myself to type out Yggdrasil every time I talk about it these days.

Cool info!
@Jason Stoddard - speaking of Google search results, you might want to rethink giving a different name for the Gadget if in case you release it.
:)

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #49,859 of 148,561
I've liked everything they've put out even the original Lyr and Bifrost.

Ironically, we found a bunch of boards for the old-style Bifrost and Asgard 2 just shortly before the launch of Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3. We don't have metal for them, so I've been contemplating doing a short run so we can sell them as the "Schiit Classic Stack." You know, like Coke Classic, except nobody asked us to bring it back.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #49,860 of 148,561
Mike posted he had some cheap DS protos, one of them he claimed to be the best product he's made. Really curious about that and what he has to say about the Bifrost 2. I hope he's been alright considering his health. Wish there were more engineers that had his ears on what sounds good.

Do you think it would be a good guess that this cheap DS that sounded very good be going towards the gaming product(s) Schiit plans to release?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back