1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Jason Stoddard
    Lots of good info so far, thanks!

Interesting idea, thank you.

Yep, we've taken it up the chain. Nothing has helped yet.

Good info. I've heard that before, and we definitely don't want to lleave you with no good options.

Ha! I suspected that USPS might slip through now and again. Good input, thanks!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    Alcophone likes this.
  2. judson_w
    Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with many reel to reels; I just have a Teac A-2300SD which I enjoy quite a bit. It only does up t 7" reels and only 7.5 and 3.75 ips.

3. Jason Stoddard
    Very good point, thanks!

4. Dana Reed
    Yeah, I just ordered a pair of iSine10 direct from Audeze, and they used Amazon as a third party logistics provider to do the shipping.

Alcophone likes this.
  5. 33na3rd
    Contact your Congressperson. Really.

Let them now that you are paying for a service that you are not recieving.

While being semi independent, USPS is still a government entity that is overseen by rules of Congress.

A Congressional Inquiry gets a lot more notice than a complaint from a normal customer.

The process is slower than it used to be, but is still very effective.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. judson_w
    I want to see this happen, if only to hear/read/imagine a member of congress saying, "The USPS needs to do better. They are failing good, hard working American companies like California's Schiit Audio."

7. Jason Stoddard
    We haven't gone this far up the chain, but thanks for the suggestion--it's probably time.

US Blues, sam6550a and 33na3rd like this.
  8. Robert Padgett
    @Jason Stoddard

I don't know who your Congressperson is in that district, but when ever I have had any issues with the Gubermint, I contact the Congressperson and the two Senators. They assign a staffer, who generates a "Congressional Letter" to the Postmaster General in DC. As my father said, (a career military officer) "The General is on the top floor and the Schiit drips through the ceiling tiles"

Your record as a successful American Company, assembling their products in the United States, a product which has a very good following, has all the ingredients of a young Congressperson making there mark in the Postal Service chain of command. Just the failure to pick-up parcels, despite you paying for that service, will definately get some interest.

1. A Congressional Letter from two Senators and your Representative creates the paper trail which cannot be shoved under a pile on the desk.
    2. They will follow-up, typically you will get a call from the staffer in ther local Congressional office and the Washington office.
    3. The Butt-hurt inflicted upon your local Postmaster will be both painful and will get you better service, and might well find that individual getting a "job promotion" to Valdez, Alaska next winter.

Don't let them drive you away as a Postal Customer, the reason that they have been getting away with sub-standard service is that nobody has made the experience 'painful' enough.

I have been amazed at the quick responses I have gotten from Senator Richard Burr (R-NC). The staffer said that they have 'a bit more leverage' when dealing with Government issues, and no Civil Servant want a permanent record reference which will follow their career.

Never forget General Colin Powell advice, "Never accept "No" from a person capable of saying "Yes"... The Postal service is on life support, they are already failing at their job, so pass around some Butt-Hurt...you will surprised,

US Blues, sam6550a, dmckean44 and 8 others like this.
  9. valiant66
    (Warning: long ramble ahead... :)

I had a yard sale, and kids were paying as much for the cassettes as they were for the LPs. I had a number of them ask if I also had a cassette deck for sale.

I do have a cassette deck. But I made a lot of live recordings using dbx, and finding a dbx tape player for sale is virtually impossible so it’s not going anywhere.

I am moving, so I recently sold a bunch of my pre-recorded cassettes to a dealer. I got 80 bucks for about 200 of them. He sells them for 10 bucks apiece (at least that is the asking price—he confessed to me he normally sells them for about five after haggling).

Enough about cassettes.

I am downsizing from 2300 square feet to 700, so I had to let go of a lot in the move. I only held onto about 300 LPs, the other 900 are being evaluated by a dealer—I will consider myself lucky to get $2 each on average (nobody will pay more then about 25¢ for yet another copy of Satuday Night Fever, but there are some old Deccas and RCAs etc. in there that are worth a bit). I dunno what to do with my 78s... I can’t play them any more and they don’t ship well being so fragile.

Anyway, my point is that while moving, I couldn’t play my LPs, and my network was disassembled, so no streaming either. So I have been dipping into my CD collection and a small boombox to entertain myself while packing and unpacking.

The experience of listening to music album-by-album is so fundamentally different to streaming I truly can’t believe it. The emotional connection that I have with the music ties in with the artwork of the cover and sometimes even the font face on the spine. The little frisson of joy that I get when I find an old CD that I haven’t listened to in many years is not replaceable with a streaming solution. And I’m listening on the cheapest portable box I could find at Canadian Tire, not my hero rig with the amazing frequency response and resolution etc. etc. etc.

That is my primary objection to streaming music.

I have tried Spotify, Tidal, and Amazon music. They all rely either on my picking a pre-curated or algorithmically generated playlist, or remembering the name of an artist, album, or song to start playing. There is absolutely no visual connection with the music any longer. And I have to rely on my crotchety old memory to pick a song in the moment.

The ritual of cocking your head to the side and scanning along the spines of your CD collection simply doesn’t exist. The happy accident of coming across that one CD you bought at a live gig somewhere and haven’t listened to in years doesn’t exist. Finding the CD of your buddies’ band who failed to make it and therefore are not available on streaming at all doesn’t exist.

Streaming has commodified the act of listening to music. My connection with what is happening on a streaming service is mostly surprise when a playlist accidentally picks a song I already know, or know I have, or have heard before. And usually those songs were top 40 somewhere in the world sometime in the distant past, which is not my bag, man. I would die happy if I never had to listen to another Doors track again. They were so overplayed in my youth that I came up with the saying “after the first 600 times I’ve heard a song, I never want to hear it again”—if you listen to commercial radio there are only about 300 songs total in rotation, over half of them recorded before the 90s. How many times a day does Hotel California get played? How many times a day do you want to hear it?

On the other hand, there is no way a streaming service will randomly pick a track by Pat Temple and the High Lonesome Players (who, by the way, are not only enjoyable to listen to, but recorded an album in the same studio using the same mic technique as the Cowboy Junkies’ breakthrough album, and therefore tick all the audiophile boxes).

I think that is the fundamental reason why I have not set up any kind of a networked streamer/player (other than my laptop sometimes when I’m in the office, and my phone sometimes when I’m on the go). I do have about 3 TB of music, ripped from my CD collection and purchased online, but I seem to prefer to use iTunes to play them—even with that i realize I don’t get the same level of joy when deciding what to play as I do running my finger along the spines of my CD collection.

So maybe that is why cassettes and LPs are staging a comeback amongst youngsters. They are growing up in an era where music is listened to as single songs rather than being experienced as an album. I suspect they are struggling to get the same emotional connection to the music that we take for granted.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. Jason Stoddard
    This is now done!

11. jfoxvol
    From one Charlotte guy to another, Well Said!

Robert Padgett likes this.
  12. Ableza
    "Never accept "No" from a person capable of saying "Yes"

Good advice in many situations, excepting those involving sex.

13. CAPT Deadpool
    Having been in Valdez to fish; and having lived in Fairbanks I say: "Please don't throw me in the briarpatch". The road into Valdez is one of the most beautiful drives I've ever been fortunate to experience. Valdez itself... just a bunch of oil terminal and some fishing boats. But the area surrounding it is amazing. Better send them to Deadhorse, AK.

If I could do my job in AK I would jump at the chance. Since Schiit and plenty of other good American Audio companies operate internet direct not really missing out on anything if you can manage to get internet service.

14. judson_w
    Tangent: that is a phrase I have not heard in quite awhile and it brings a smile to my face.

KLJTech and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  15. White Noise
    @Jason Stoddard

As a seller, literally the only reason I used USPS (to sell a good portion of my Lego collection on ebay) was because I couldn't be bothered to figure out the shipping rates for other carriers and I wanted to charge a fixed rate on my ebay listings. I only had 50 items total to sell, and 47 of them went through USPS flat rate (because my stuff actually fits in their boxes pretty well). But for the 3 that didn't, they were all $500 +. I had a non-delivery claim come back on one of those, but thank heavens that one was shipped with UPS because I could call their customer service and sort it out in 5 minutes. Half the time I dropped off a package at the post office, they'd say they couldn't find the address and I would have to show them on google maps where it was. I lost money on every package that went with UPS (shipping was over my estimates), but the peace of mind of having a competent organization do the work was worth it. As I buyer I just want what's cheapest, but if that can't be usps anymore I'm OK with that.

Also, RE Amazon, they do their own truckload trucking and airfreight now too (well, before they got into last mile service actually, they've been at this a while). Not anywhere near the big players in those spaces, but if I'm not mistaken they plan on offering their services to other companies as well. May well be worth a look. And yeah, the orders they have in place to expand their fleets are, off the top of my head, the biggest in logistics right now. So probably the fastest growing logistics server too. Add in that they've basically single-handedly created a new shopping season in the middle of july with prime day in like 5 years and that company is just freaky to me.