1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Ableza
    In order to make a point you must have a point

r0dd3r5, 33na3rd and US Blues like this.
  2. leonthebumme
    Thanks for the detailed response! I haven't ever been aware of hearing distortion, but if even experts can miss it, then it's hard for me to say. Would measuring the wattage used by the Aegir during use provide any insight into how hard the amp is working and if it is maxing out?

3. Ableza
    Not really.

4. Gazny
    Just enjoy your gear and your music, dont shame others for a preference in gear or music, dont forget to share it with others to hear something new that rocks them :o2smile:
    Ive been rocking to this song.
    Found a sick deal at the thrift store. :L3000:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  5. kevlar397
    Hey, I’m pretty new to high end audio and have been really enjoying my Schiit stack (Modi, Lokki, Magni). Recently I had a chance to demo a pair of Grado GS1000e's and HD800S' with Bryston's headphone amp. I was blown away by the GS1000e and wasn't really impressed by the HD800S. I bought theGS1000e and have been on the hunt for some new equipment.

Naturally, I’m looking at what Schiit has, but the best components are all focused on balanced outputs ad opposed to single ended. Amazingly the GS1000e doesn't have detachable cables. I could return the GS1000e and get the GS2000e which can be ordered with a balanced cable.

When I read about the Ragnarok 2 not having a summed outputs I thought I that might be the right thing for me. I’m just not sure if the Multibit DAC in it will be as good as the one in others like the Gungnir.

Can anyone give me some insight as to how the Ragnarok 2 Multibit sounds compared to maybe a Gungnir and Mjolnir 2?

6. ScubaMan2017
    Ah ha. I’ll try that modification. Thanks @Timster .

7. EricDH
    I wouldn't do things too quickly. True, "all other things equal", a truly balanced design often sounds a bit better than single ended. But that would be "a bit", not a night and day difference. Now, only you can decide how much that would matter in your case. But why not start SE, with your new headphones and your current Schiit stuff? If you are happy with it, fine. If not, only then, look further. Just my two cents....

MOFOfunk and thebmc like this.
  8. jcn3
    All Schiit headphone amps have SE outputs, so there's nothing to be concerned about. The products that are balanced designs might provide better channel separation and lower distortion, but you realize that benefit regardless of the type of headphone connection.

9. kevlar397
    Thanks for your feedback @EricDH

I normally wouldn’t be concerned about Single Ended vs balanced, but reviewers have been commenting on a very noticeable difference between the two in Schiit products. This difference was specifically addressed with Ragnarok 2.

I have been demoing a few setups and they sound much better than my current stuff. What stood out the most to me with the Bryston, and stands out with the best setups I have demoed, is very accurate representation of instruments. Having played the piano in the past I can tell when a setup gets it right. Other instruments that I don’t know as well seem to sound more realistic with a good setup.

Having been to 24 Dave Matthews Band shows I know exactly where each instrument is located. One DAC/amp setup actually had everything flipped to the opposite side of the stage. Listening to other bands I found that setup also flipped them as other setups had the reverse. Thankfully my concert going experience allowed me to know which setup was correct.

I’m now trying to figure out which sound I like best. I like the sound of tubes and Schiit has a lot of components with them. I only own a few FLAC files so I stream both Qubuz and Tidal. I’d like a DAC that handles MQA, but could always just tag on a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital. A solid state setup that handles MQA is the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ It gets really good reviews including from Sterophile and The Absolute Sound.

10. kevlar397
    Thanks for your feedback. In addition to reviewers mentioning a noticeable difference in power and sound quality Jason Stoddard said they specifically addressed the inequality between the single ended outputs in Ragnarok when making Ragnarok 2. He said the summing in Ragnarok and Mjolnir resulted in a poorer performance. Both amps are by their core design balanced amps.

11. Balthazar B
    Rather than buy something sound unheard that one rag or another is touting, why not just jump on a cheap Southwest flight to Burbank, rent a car, and then visit the Schiitr and Upscale Audio, where between the two of them you'll likely be able to try out most of what you're considering? Maybe even pick up a component or two on the spot if you're totally captivated?

golfbravobravo likes this.
  12. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Flying an unbalanced 747 MAX might be a problem for some.

gljus and US Blues like this.
  13. Balthazar B
    If one is so risk-averse as not to fly, one should not even drive in a car. Nor venture into a crosswalk.

One could argue with some justification to not reside in certain areas in Washington or California.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    golfbravobravo likes this.
  14. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Oh really? Wow.

15. golfbravobravo
    A new model? They kept that quiet.......