1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Oveja Negra
    Hahaha.

2. Jason Stoddard
    July 2019 SchiitrMeet:
    Speaker Amp Thunderdome

So, how do Vidar, Aegir, and Ragnarok 2 compare on speakers? Join us next Thursday, July 11, from 6-10 PM and find out.

Better yet, bring your own amp to compare. We should be able to fit a couple more contenders in there. We’ll be using the Salk Song3s, rather than the Magneplanars, so low-wattage amps won’t be too much at a handicap. And, hopefully we can do this blind like last time, so each amp gets a fair shake.

SchiitrMeet July 2019: Speaker Amp Thunderdome
    22508 Market Street, Newhall, CA 91321
    Thursday, July 11
    6PM-10PM

Please note—this is Thursday, not Friday! We heard you. Friday traffic is horrible. So let’s see how Thursdays work out.

I hope to see you there!

Jason

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    barondla, Mike-WI, mikerp and 8 others like this.
  3. Alcophone
    There's a good chance your P5 would do better! I retaliate with 60 minutes of Cardi B for you.

4. KoshNaranek
    OMG! He went straight for the throat!

5. hearditontheX
    I hope hundreds of people attend. I have the Accutron version (3A) of the Salks so this a meet made in a heaven I cannot attend. I look forward to hearing many impression.

How awesome is Schiit for having the Speaker Amp Thunderdome?

Mike-WI likes this.
  6. Jason Stoddard
    Second earthquake. This one went on a lot longer than the first, but still no damage...people closer to Ridgecrest may not be doing so well, though. 7.1!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    barondla, Mike-WI, MWSVette and 5 others like this.
  7. Ripper2860
    Dammmm!! Glad to hear you and yours, as well as folks in your area are doing well. Will certainly keep people in the affected areas in our family's thoughts and prayers!!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    the finisher likes this.
  8. Rowethren
    Fingers crossed it doesn't escalate any further!

9. ScubaMan2017
    Enjoyed this post. Side note... I converted some FLAC to 302kbps mp3, assuming it’d play in a ~10y old Sony mp3-cd-radio boom box. Nope.... it couldn’t even read it. Radical progress at work. Nice

10. Timster
    Maybe it's a file structure or filename issue. Were the MP3's in the root folder on the CD? Do they have short(ish) names?
    It's quite possible some older equipment can't read past the root folder, or perhaps only one level down.

Or if the CD wasn't finalised (ie. can't add/write to it anymore) it might not be readable on some devices.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    rkw likes this.
  11. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Couldn't find her so happily substituted with 2 hours of Pat Metheny.

12. Ableza
    While there are actually many possible answers to this question, including some that are quite subjective, the technical answer would be if you are driving your amplifier into clipping, then either your desired listening levels are too high for it, your loudspeaker impedance dropping too low for it, or the input is too hot. If the Aegir fault light ever activities, you have likely overloaded it and this is a simple indication that your needs are too much for the amp.

Since the amp does not indicate clipping, you will likely be forced to try and detect it by ear which is difficult. Clipping is when an amp tries to drive a signal outside its power operating range and to do so, the signal sine wave gets squared off or "clipped" at the peaks. Severe clipping can damage speakers since the amp is basically producing high-power DC, and it can be heard as a sort of major distortion product like the music has lost its dynamics and becomes just a loud noise at the peaks. Or, if playing a test tone, you can hear when the amp goes into clipping because the tone will change. But even experts sometimes have difficulty hearing it, and especially when it is not severe.

The bottom line in my opinion is if you feel like you are constantly turning the preamp volume up higher than "feels" good, or if you ever find that the amp is not shutting down but the music sounds loud yet just not clear and "right," then your amp might be clipping and you're driving it too hard.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    motberg, ScubaMan2017, eyoon and 5 others like this.
  13. hearditontheX
    Glad to hear all is okay. This is not the kind of shake-up I want Schiit to be involved in.

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  14. belgiangenius
    Yeah, there was no point to that video.

15. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    ?