1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Brubacca
    I would really like for an internet direct company (I'm talking to you Schiit) to make a powerline regenerator like the PS Audio or Torus Products. A $1,000ish Schiit Brick 3 gets my money, A $2k Stella Power Plant 3 does not.

motberg, Snowpuppy77 and Roy G. Biv like this.
  2. Snowpuppy77
    Sometimes when the name is that good you just have to make one.

3. Robert Padgett
    I believe it is more about tolerance than diversity. One aspect of my time in the Netherlands was their policy of tolerance. I found the Dutch to simply not understand sarcastic remarks which objectified a person or a group of people. I watched this video and I heard him speak of intolerance by some, against his choices of music. I don't understand, either what his choices of reference material have to do with "audiophile know-it-all" people.

They are certainly a subset of the entire group, which we practice tolerance with on a daily basis here in the forums.
    It is so much easier to assume everyone is right about their own opinions, and let them have them, then to argue.

For example, I never listened to much Classical until I achieved a system which allowed me to understand why Audiophiles enjoy the differences between Solti and Karajan, and why a certain recording reveals so much more emotion than another recording of the same score.
    Because I can now appreciate my Classical music doesn't mean you should join me in liking the improvisations of the Grateful Dead, or the thumping beats of Deadmau5 EDM. Opera and ballet are not my cups of tea, but I found no reason to disparage another from their enjoyment.

I feel compelled to remind myself and others--this is a fun hobby, it is about enjoying music, not about the package or delivery system. Being the first to admit that I don't know much about anything, and certainly not an "audiophile know-it-all" is certainly an act of freedom.
    If you are like me, my mind has made a decision to not engage with those who disagree and to wish them all an enjoyable listening session. Even though, I still cannot hear much difference between MP3 @320 and 16/44 Redbook, and certainly not any between 24/96 and 24/192. That I use Belken cables, not some fancy wire which cost multiples of hundreds of dollars, and my HPs were from Mass-droppings.

Please just tolerate me.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    audio philestine, AudioGal and RickB like this.
  4. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    I tend to disagree here. We are tolerant and sarcastic and understand both.
    We do not allow hypocrisy.

US Blues, Robert Padgett and EricDH like this.
  5. Robert Padgett
    My experience was limited. And yes, Dutch humor tends to be more dry than derisive. I was sitting with a Dutch friend, enjoying a beer, when I noticed a 7-foot tall trans-man in leather, with high heels, and fish-net stockings. I said, "Boy you don't see that every day!" to which Mortem, without missing a beat, looked at his watch, and said, "She is running a bit late today..."

He then went on to say that tolerance was the key to getting along. I still had to laugh at his drool response. I was referring to her height, nothing more. Being 6-11 (211cm) I should have probably not been surprised by the Tall folks...
    His sense of sarcasm was more finely tuned than my own...

audio philestine and AudioGal like this.
  6. Balthazar B
    Considering how it would clean up the juice and make for gleaming sonics, maybe it should be called the Schiit Shinola™?

Robert Padgett likes this.
  7. Robert Padgett
    The "tm" might cause problems with those folks in Detroit...

8. Balthazar B
    Yeah, since Schiit was founded in 2010, Jason might have been able to snag the trademark for a few months before "those folks in Detroit" swooped in and acquired it (probably for pennies). Ah, what might have been!

9. Ableza
    The efficacy of power conditioners, filters, regenerators, etc. is variable depending on your application and the specifics of your home power system. While I am not a fan of Paul McGowan's sometimes over-the-top hyperbole and seemingly magical thinking, his power products generally do a very good job. Similar results can be usually had for less investment, but require more understanding and work by the user.

10. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Indeed every situation is different.
    I live in an appartement building with lots of people on the same grid.
    We never ever have power outs but the "noise" over the line is huge.

11. Smithington
    Serious question, from someone with a system very likely not good enough to distinguish between good and bad power and not having the budget to invest in cleaner power.

Is the quality of a power supply a world-wide problem, or does say a 120v network tend to have more problems than what we have in the UK / Europe with 230/240v?

12. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    It's a wwp indeed, inherent of the "medium" and also the reason it works at all.
    (the last I sucked out of my thumb)

13. Smithington
    Thanks for confirming :beerchug:

14. JohnnyCanuck
    No, it's not world-wide.

I have a 13.2KV:240V transformer in my back yard with the 240/120V coming directly from it to the house. My audio gear is on its own dedicated 120V circuit fed with 12 AWG cable. I also take meticulous care in maintaining a proper star ground for the audio circuits.

I also use after-market AC cables. I unplug them and plug them in again in every six months. All of them. Both ends. You would be amazed at the difference that this makes (thanks to Paul McGowan for this tip).

No problems here.

JC

(edited to correct primary voltage to transformer)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 and Ripper2860 like this.
  15. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Ah.. So because I use a Britta filter the water pollution is not a world wide problem?
    I guess that figures.
    One better.. I never died from measles so there's no wwp with measles either.

RCBinTN, motberg, US Blues and 2 others like this.