Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 31, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #47,131 of 149,153
And yes -usted- is the polite form, i like that way to distinguish very much, like the germans and portuguese also do.
English is the only language I speak that doesn't distinguish a casual and polite form for "you".
No matter if you use the word itself or the grammatical pointing.

May 31, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #47,132 of 149,153
English is the only language I speak that doesn't distinguish a casual and polite form for "you".
They actually do but it's barely used as long as I can remember. They use "thy", like in " Hallowed be thy name", the Iron Maiden song.

May 31, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #47,136 of 149,153
I'm about to start building an Amp Camp power amp and I'm thinking now might be a good time to pick up a used Saga. I have a question about the specs though: In active stage the Saga says it has 0db gain but output at >10V. I'm in the beginning of my electronics studies but to me that doesn't seem consistent. Can anyone help me understand?

Thanks!

I can’t answer your question, but I have a pair of ACAs with a Freya S preamp and the combination sounds great. The treble seems a little bright, but I am adjusting to the change from a very warm vintage Marantz.
And I have Klipsch Fortes with horn tweeters.

I suspect you will need very sensitive speakers running an ACA in SE / stereo fed by a Saga.

Good luck with your build!

May 31, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #47,137 of 149,153
I'm about to start building an Amp Camp power amp and I'm thinking now might be a good time to pick up a used Saga. I have a question about the specs though: In active stage the Saga says it has 0db gain but output at >10V. I'm in the beginning of my electronics studies but to me that doesn't seem consistent. Can anyone help me understand?
Thanks!

I have a Saga and I also built an Amp Camp Amp to use with my Zu Omen Dirty Weekend speakers. I found the ACA to have pretty low gain (compared to my Audioengine N22) so I had to turn the Saga volume control up much higher to get acceptable listening volume. To my ears the ACA has good bass and a very good midrange, but the treble was too bright for me so I sold it. I'm very treble-sensitive, so YMMV.

May 31, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #47,138 of 149,153
I can’t answer your question, but I have a pair of ACAs with a Freya S preamp and the combination sounds great. The treble seems a little bright, but I am adjusting to the change from a very warm vintage Marantz.
And I have Klipsch Fortes with horn tweeters.

The treble was my biggest problem with the ACA and the main reason why I sold mine.

May 31, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #47,139 of 149,153
Where I’m originally from the polite form is “you all” and the informal is “y’all”.

May 31, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #47,141 of 149,153
Where I’m originally from the polite form is “you all” and the informal is “y’all”.

And "all y'all" for a bunch of youse?

May 31, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #47,142 of 149,153
And "all y'all" for a bunch of youse?

What really grates on me are two specific turns of phrase that I hear almost daily here in Australia.
1. "How are yous?" .... Yet the same individual can say "how are you?" when addressing one other person
2. The other "How are we?" .... My response is "I'm Fine, I don't know how WE are" ... which generates a blank, questioning stare most times

What are they teaching at school these days?
I'm certainly not a scholar of English, but this stuff should be simple for native English speakers, surely?

/Grumpy_Old_Man=Off

May 31, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #47,144 of 149,153
The treble was my biggest problem with the ACA and the main reason why I sold mine.
This is how Internet mythes are created...
It's completely fine if you share your opinion about anything hifi related here -- this is the reason for a forum -- but if someone is repeating it like a broken record I get suspicious.
Discussions about our favorite hobby are great, enjoy the music!

May 31, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #47,145 of 149,153
Balanced to SE is just connecting one of the hot leads to ground. nothing more.
My guess is that it will do Bal>SE but no SE>Bal in passive mode.

Confirmed that Freya S will output balanced via XLR from SE source in passive mode. Not sure how this is happening, given information in manual.

Or is it merely outputting a SE signal through XLR? I expected to get no audio at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back