Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 17, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #46,636 of 148,517
Yes, I read the comments before on it but I am still a bit skeptical.
I’ve yet to meet someone who sold off their auralic streamer (or any high end or mid end device) and settles for a rapsberry pi + some sorr of hat.

Even saw Darko’s vids about it when he compared it with different streamers.
I'm a bit slow so: Why do you ask the question again?

May 17, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #46,637 of 148,517
Yes, you can get a new Modi MB for the same price. But that would destroy my concept.

I live in Saudi Arabia and the UAE. My family is in the UAE, and there I have my 2 channel set up (which is really a very good sounding set). Obviously I travel a lot back and forth between these two locations, so I bought myself (correction, got from my lovely wife as birthday present) Oppo PM-3 headphones. Very nice headphones, listening to music with it (and the Dragonfly Red) made my traveling a lot more bearable. But then I started playing with the thought to buy my first piece of Schiitt, for use in my temporary location in Saudi. I wanted a simple, one box solution. Little desk space, no interlinks, perfect. The Jotunheim got my attention. According to the reviews, the amp sounds "absolutely great", with the DAC still "very good". Reviewers also mentioned that coupled with a separate MB DAC (such as the Modi MB) the sound is indeed better. I certainly wanted a MB DAC (I know that if well designed they have a "naturalness" or "rightness" that delta sigma can't match). Still, I really liked the one box, good looking, nicely small Jotunheim. So I made the compromise (deliberate choice) to buy it and forget MB (at that time, the narrative was that MB could not be made so small as to fit in the Jotunheim case). And I haven't regretted my purchase one second.

But now I can upgrade. Now I can finally have what I actually wanted in the first place. One box solution, small, good looking, and containing a really really good amp and a MB DAC. Heaven on earth for my simple headphone set up. And then you tell me that I can buy a new Modi MB for the same money, possibly better sounding (but that will be marginally, if at all), and more inputs. And sure, a complete box with DAC in it for the same price as only a DAC board sound "more value". But you know what? I don't want an extra box (I really really love my one box solution), and certainly not if it has different dimensions (visually not appealing). And more inputs? I don't care. The only thing that ever gets connected is my iPhone, so USB is enough.

But I do understand your point. Of course, a complete Modi MB with more inputs represents more value than only a DAC board. So for many people it would be more attractive to go that route. But for me, in my situation, with my wishes, my taste, adding a Modi MB would not add, but distract from my ideal solution.

There is one thing I want to add:
The upgrade cost for the MB DAC board of $250 might look "expensive". But we have to keep in mind that upgrading a piece of kit to the latest spec (so, the initial price plus the upgrade cost) is always more expensive than just buying the latest version in one go. And again, comparing it with the Modi MB, yes then again it may look expensive, but you have to bear in mind that in this case there is labor involved (installing the DAC board). But that "being expensive" is relative. If we would try to get a MB DAC board from any other brand (I don't know if they exist, but comparing price levels in the industry in general) that has the same level of engineering and the same sound quality, you would easily a multitude of that $250. In that light, this upgrade is not expensive, but a bargain.

May 17, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #46,638 of 148,517
I think having a raspberry pi as a streamer source for dacs like bifrost and below is a good option.
But using that r-pi to a gungnir or an yggdrasil would would make the r-pi as somewhat of a bottleneck.

I know no one mentioned that it should be used on the gungnir/yggy which is why i posted the question.

I tried using a macbook air and a mac mini and i can really hear the different between the two. Adding a matrix x spdif 2 between the chain enabled me to use the aes ebu input on the Yggdrasil. Better than usb gen 5. But not a whole lot.

Would anyone else be contented with an yggdrasil + raspberry pi (and some hat) combination? This is what I really would want to know. If there is please message me.

May 17, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #46,639 of 148,517
So I didn't mean to kick off this whole RPi talk again.

My intent for the Schiit Box would be to place my Sonore MicroRendu, Eiter and Teddy Pardo PSU inside the box to clean up the look.

Personally I think that anyone with Gungnir MB or Yggy owes it to themselves to get at least a Sonore MicroRendu or Sotm Sms-200.

Again my opinion and YMMV.

May 17, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #46,640 of 148,517
Hey for my uses I did not feel the need of a streamer. But is this r pi streamer cheap? then I might consider adding one. Also another controversial note; I think the optical is still better than USB 5 in my Yggy ana 2. But not with the cheap USB cables; you have to invest in a good quality one. AES I have never tried.

May 17, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #46,641 of 148,517
I think having raspberry pi as a streamer source for dacs like Bifrost and below is a good option.
But using that r-pi to a gungnir or a yggdrasil would make the r-pi as somewhat of a bottleneck.

I know no one mentioned that it should be used on the gungnir/yggy which is why I posted the question.

I tried using a MacBook Air and a mac mini and I can really hear the difference between the two. Adding a matrix x spdif 2 between the chain enabled me to use the AES EBU input on the Yggdrasil. Better than USB gen 5. But not a whole lot.

Would anyone else be contented with a Yggdrasil + raspberry pi (and some hat) combination? This is what I really would want to know. If there is please message me.

When I was reviewing the GungnirMB, I was using my RasPi/Allo DigiOne SPDIF transport feeding the Gungnir. It worked well. I don't see any shortcomings to having a $35 USD sbc, with a $99 HAT, over a more expensive alternative, but quite frankly, if I had either Gumby or Yggy, I would use USB directly from the server and do away with the Ethernet into RasPi...for a very simple reason. My RasPi likes to reboot itself if it gets moved or juggled...an inconvenience. There are shortcomings to the RasPi system, but mainly due to the fact is was designed to teach programming to school kids--not be a High-End Audio component.

May 17, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #46,642 of 148,517
I think having a raspberry pi as a streamer source for dacs like bifrost and below is a good option.
But using that r-pi to a gungnir or an yggdrasil would would make the r-pi as somewhat of a bottleneck.

I know no one mentioned that it should be used on the gungnir/yggy which is why i posted the question.

I tried using a macbook air and a mac mini and i can really hear the different between the two. Adding a matrix x spdif 2 between the chain enabled me to use the aes ebu input on the Yggdrasil. Better than usb gen 5. But not a whole lot.

Would anyone else be contented with an yggdrasil + raspberry pi (and some hat) combination? This is what I really would want to know. If there is please message me.
I use Yggy with a Raspberry pi and 502DAC spdif hat. It has an AES output and sounds superior to using a Logitech Transporter.
I have no probms with rebooting or other flaky behavior as I use the barrel power connector on the 502DAC. It is much more robust than the cheap USB micro B connector on the Pi
YMMV.

May 17, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #46,643 of 148,517
Or, on a less morbid note, we had to work around a key employee who decided to hike the Pacific Coast Trail—which takes a few months. Robots don’t want to do that.

lol you west coast folk live different lives than us in the midwest. wow. I got fired from a job 7 years ago for being 5 minutes late. it was my first time being late, no other issues. guess what? I was never late to my future jobs. must be nice making a decent wage and living in states that have protections for employees.

May 17, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #46,644 of 148,517
I use Yggy with a Raspberry pi and 502DAC spdif hat. It has an AES output and sounds superior to using a Logitech Transporter.
I have no probms with rebooting or other flaky behavior as I use the barrel power connector on the 502DAC. It is much more robust than the cheap USB micro B connector on the Pi
YMMV.

I did a quick google. The 502DAC is a DAC also? So you have a DAC that feeds to a DAC?

May 17, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #46,645 of 148,517
I would certainly not be content.

Edit: To be complete... I had it tested here beside my Auralic Arius G2

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #46,646 of 148,517
Or, on a less morbid note, we had to work around a key employee who decided to hike the Pacific Coast Trail—which takes a few months. Robots don’t want to do that.

lol you west coast folk live different lives than us in the midwest. wow. I got fired from a job 7 years ago for being 5 minutes late. it was my first time being late, no other issues. guess what? I was never late to my future jobs. must be nice making a decent wage and living in states that have protections for employees.
No one is forcing you to live there... :)

May 17, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #46,648 of 148,517
I would certainly not be content.

Edit: To be complete... I had it tested here beside my Auralic Arius G2

Nor I. For similar reasons.

Lol, must hold tongue. Heartily disagree if you know what you're doing. Heartily agree if you do not. ;D Don't ask cause my links will be quickly wiped.

May 17, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #46,650 of 148,517
Lol, must hold tongue. Heartily disagree if you know what you're doing. Heartily agree if you do not. ;D Don't ask cause my links will be quickly wiped.
I made that clear on many occasions. I don't know anything about linux or raspberry etc.
The one who brought his to test here however does.
I can only rely on my ears and the difference was huge and the SQ of the raspberry significant less.
So I agree about the knowledge but heartily disagree on my own experience.
There's simply no way you can disagree with that. Impossible.
Me thinks a discussion is pointless. A sharing of experiences can have a point however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back