1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Peter J
    Fair warning. I'm gonna march right into "we don't talk about it" land with this post. I've read countless times on many forums about "it's all about the music". This often called out to justify yet another purchase of gear in pursuit of the "holy grail" of audio reproduction. I say...."maybe....or maybe not".

The truth is I like gear and I'm not ashamed. I like all sorts of gear, but spend bigger on a few things that really trip my trigger. I like to look at gear, I like to use it, I like to change it sometimes and add to my collection. I occasionally make gear. I even sell some from time to time. I just like it, OK? Not spending the grocery or mortgage money. It's an indulgence. My interest ebbs and flows along with my interest in other things. It's not about ego or one-up-manship. It's not to impress the neighbors.

It's because I have a proclivity for shiny boxes with piercing LEDs and it's my god given right to have it around! Some like guns, some like cars or motorcycles. Others enjoy wine or cigars. I want gear...

Oh, and I like music too.

And Jason, I'm buying your Schiit in spite of your admonition not to. So there!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  2. Rensek
    @Jason Stoddard

Great Chapter, I have been fighting this battle myself with some disposable income the last few weeks. I've got about 400 dollars burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm endlessly trying to determine the best audio bang for my buck. But in reality it's going to a secondary system I won't use all that often. HP jack on my tablet and a Bluetooth speaker work just fine if I am honest and give up the hollow emotion of more.

The last few days I have been telling myself I should enjoy what I have and put that money towards something else. Thanks for being another voice of reason.

On another note, are we going to get a full chapter on the creation of Aegir? You touched on several things previously that I was hoping you would expand upon in your chapter coinciding with Aegirs release.

zztopps and ScubaMan2017 like this.
  3. Xcalibur255
    If those were half the price I would be very tempted, despite missing by low frequency F3 target by 10 hz or so.

I appreciate the recommendations regardless. Sometimes somebody else can point you to what you are unable to stumble upon yourself.

4. Derrick Swart
    ?

5. Xcalibur255
    You know Jason this is the first time I can remember you clearly stating your sonic preferences like that. It makes me think I might have been pretty happy with a Ragnarok in another life. While I love my Yggdrasil I've never dipped my toes into the amp side of your business because I somehow just assumed your tuning focus was on neutrality. I'm sure I've failed to see many many things written by many many people that probably could have dispelled this assumption, but on this day it's a good reminder to myself how easy it is to not see the forest through the trees once an initial assumption or bias has formed in one's mind.

ScubaMan2017 and Mike-WI like this.
  6. Jason Stoddard
    I did a pretty full Aegir chapter last year, but I'm going to do a deeper dive into Continuity in a future chapter, so I'll clean up any loose ends there.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  7. Derrick Swart
    Superb!

8. Derrick Swart
    Absolutely! That is how i got to my ATCs

9. ZoNtO
    Was this something that you addressed with the Nexus circuit in preparation for Ragnarok 2? If I have one complaint about the Ragnarok 1.5 it's that it can sound a bit harsh and clinical, mostly at higher volumes.

10. RCBinTN
    Well done, Jason. And, perfect timing as well.
    Exactly my reason for staying with Gumby and not heading to Yggy.
    I am happy in my space :)

ScubaMan2017 and Rensek like this.
  11. FLTWS
    There’s also a big fun factor in buying and trying and comparing and sharing. I’m retired and you’ll never see a pile of Levinson, McIntosh, Chord, etc., in my sig but I can play with a big pile of Schiit. I buy only from disposable income, save it or spend it. My interest/curiosity keeps me playing on and I am confident there will not be a second (and there never was a first) coming of “a concert hall in my living room” with “perfect sound forever” no matter how many tubes I roll, cables I swap, or how expensive the hardware is. But I don’t find that a deterrent to enjoying my listening time at home. In my experience well designed and built components in the chain between the recording and the transducer aren’t as wildly different in sound as I would expect based on what I usually read, generally much more subtle than that, but fun to try and ferret out. The SQ of recordings and the sonic capabilities and flavors of transducers, on the other hand, are all over the place. I’ve been at this over 5 decades and I am rarely disappointed as my only true reference is the concert hall and no pile of boxes, wires, transducers, or SOTA recordings is ever going to give me a "Holodeck" of music. But being actively involved can provide its own satisfactions. I’m constantly comparing performances of the same works by different conductors, orchestra’s, labels, etc. Throwing in a couple of extra pieces parts of redundant hardware just adds another dimension to my listening enjoyment, learning experiences, and understanding. Its all fun (unless something breaks, of course).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  12. Rowethren
    That post was pretty close to the heart for me to be honest. I quite often get to the point of obsession about a purchase even when I don't really need it and then almost feel regret afterwards. I think the yes no questions at the start really stand for everything in life and I am going to take them very much into my mind and remember them the next time I think about buying something I don't really need. In all honesty I am very very happy with how both my speak and headphone systems sound right now, more so than ever before!

ScubaMan2017, liamo and Rensek like this.
  13. RCBinTN
    One of the best things about Head-Fi, to me, is that we can create profiles showing our gear.
    Can't say how many times I've read a person's profile, saw something in which I was interested, and followed up via PM.
    I personally learned much more using that approach, than I ever did via open posting on threads.

My point is ... some folks literally have 15 HPs, 25 IEMs, 16 amps, and you get it.
    Now seriously, when does 95% of that gear ever get used?
    Time to donate ... PM me for shipping address :)

KoshNaranek, VilMo, Juan_R and 7 others like this.
  14. FLTWS
    If I ever find an amp that can play fortissimo with the same lack of strain and any congestion as pianissimo, I could be done with my personal quest. :smile:
    And I'm talking no louder or quieter than what I hear from the rear of the concert hall.

Rensek and RCBinTN like this.
  15. FLTWS
    The phones are in the mail. You like "Beats" right?