Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #44,146 of 148,595
Although not stated, a motherboard firmware change may be required,
Gen 5 USB card didn’t require a firmware update however.

Also Jason said this earlier:

Rest assured that we are committed to making all the upgrades we can do-able in the field, rather than having to come back to the mother ship

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #44,147 of 148,595
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #44,148 of 148,595
I'll go out on a limb here and say no.

out on a limb.gif

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #44,149 of 148,595
I guess this also begs the question to @Jason Stoddard : will products like Yiggy have TWO USB inputs? One legacy Gen5 AND one Unison?
No. The Unison card replaces the current (Gen 5) card on the same slot.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #44,150 of 148,595
Hey guys,

To answer some questions:

1. About new Modi Multibit firmware: contact Amy@schiit.com and she can help you out. I believe it’s $35 to bring it up to current (which has not changed since February 2018.) This is the only running change on Modi Multibit. Mike (and many others) are of the opinion that it makes no sonic difference.

2. About Unison USB™ already being out in the wild. No. LOL. Ha. That’s still in beta testing. When it’s released, you’ll know it, because it will have a different VID/PID, as well as a new identification string, and a BIG press release. Also, you may not want it. It will only support Windows 10, MacOS, most popular Linux distros for streamers, iOS, and Android from N and up. It will not have a Windows 7 driver. For this reason, we may roll it out slowly, only on one model to start, or as an option. And there won’t be a Unison Eitr, Eitr is pretty much dead as a product due to slow sales (like Wyrd) and will probably not be made anymore. But YMMV. Always in motion the future and all that, this is 100% guesswork based on our current knowledge. Hell, additional glitches in Phase 2 of the beta test could push Unison out beyond summer for the first product.

3. About changes to other DACs: read Slouching Towards Kaizen again. Everything gets tweaked, most of the time due to need rather than want. There’s nothing that’s been “upgrade worthy” worth announcing. Remember, an upgrade to a Multibit product means replacing a bunch of expensive parts, so we don’t do it lightly.

4. About QC, grounding, transparency, etc. I think I’ve done a chapter before on this, and there are Tony’s videos. The short primer is that literally everything is checked on instruments and ears, and anything from Asgard 2 on up gets 1-4 day burn-in and recheck as well. We also have extensive test equipment, including 6 Avermetrics and one APx555, the Avermetrics mainly used for in-line testing. In terms of grounding, when we were made aware of one Jotunheim that appeared not to be grounded, we instituted a 100% test of new, repaired, and refurbished units for this possible defect across the entire line, not just the slide-top chassis. And in terms of transparency, please point me at another audio company that shares more about their process, their ongoing trials, their successes, and their failures.

Hope this helps a bit,

Jason
Helps! Internet rumours ... aarrgghh ... shall push some ignor buttons

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #44,152 of 148,595
What's the "POP Mod"?

Good question, no answer was given, I believe my elacs "pop" a bit less on startup and shutdown. So it probably has something to do with that. Testing in my home rig later tonight. Previously my wharfedales really popped on startup and shutdown. Will see what happens with them tonight.

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #44,153 of 148,595
I’m surprised you won’t be putting Unison into an updated Eitr, mainly because I’m surprised that it’s not selling well - I had assumed it would have been. It’s an excellent product and one of the best priced USB decrapifiers out there.

Wyrd I can understand because it’s getting pretty long in the tooth at this point - people likely feel there is better out there now.

Perhaps people just don’t want to convert to SPDIF as much as staying with straight USB into their DACs? I guess lots of DACs are USB only now. Or maybe decrapification just isn't as big a deal as it was in the past. Or maybe most of your customers already have a Schiit DAC with Gen 5 anyhow, so who needs Eitr. Interesting nonetheless.
I am very happy with optical, it isolates well and my DAC takes care of the jitter. End result Sounds wonderful to me.

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #44,155 of 148,595
Hi @Jason Stoddard , will Rag 2, Aegir, Sol or any new headphone amp product be available in march? want buy something for my Birthday :D

Cheers

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #44,156 of 148,595
No. The Unison card replaces the current (Gen 5) card on the same slot.
Ok, I will reveal my utter noobishness. I have tried googling Unison and get references to a program that synchronizes directories on two drives or network shares. What is this particular Unison of which you are speaking?

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #44,157 of 148,595
Ok, I will reveal my utter noobishness. I have tried googling Unison and get references to a program that synchronizes directories on two drives or network shares. What is this particular Unison of which you are speaking?

Unison is the new USB tech that Schiit is developing.

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #44,159 of 148,595
What about the two questions above in bold?

"Nexus" is the new amplifier topology.

And the DAC cards Jason is talking about in his latest chapter are the same ones for Jotunheim and Lyr 3, so a balanced 4490 D/S DAC similar to Modi 2 and a 16-bit multi-bit DAC that is similar to Modi MB. Not that they couldn't come out with others/updates, but you can't put the DAC/analog stages for Gungnir MB on one of those cards ... they just won't fit, so don't hold your breath there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back