Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #44,086 of 149,153
I hope the new Ragnarok 2 and Aegir will be offered in Silver and Black

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #44,087 of 149,153
Hey guys,

To answer some questions:

1. About new Modi Multibit firmware: contact Amy@schiit.com and she can help you out. I believe it’s $35 to bring it up to current (which has not changed since February 2018.) This is the only running change on Modi Multibit. Mike (and many others) are of the opinion that it makes no sonic difference.

2. About Unison USB™ already being out in the wild. No. LOL. Ha. That’s still in beta testing. When it’s released, you’ll know it, because it will have a different VID/PID, as well as a new identification string, and a BIG press release. Also, you may not want it. It will only support Windows 10, MacOS, most popular Linux distros for streamers, iOS, and Android from N and up. It will not have a Windows 7 driver. For this reason, we may roll it out slowly, only on one model to start, or as an option. And there won’t be a Unison Eitr, Eitr is pretty much dead as a product due to slow sales (like Wyrd) and will probably not be made anymore. But YMMV. Always in motion the future and all that, this is 100% guesswork based on our current knowledge. Hell, additional glitches in Phase 2 of the beta test could push Unison out beyond summer for the first product.

3. About changes to other DACs: read Slouching Towards Kaizen again. Everything gets tweaked, most of the time due to need rather than want. There’s nothing that’s been “upgrade worthy” worth announcing. Remember, an upgrade to a Multibit product means replacing a bunch of expensive parts, so we don’t do it lightly.

4. About QC, grounding, transparency, etc. I think I’ve done a chapter before on this, and there are Tony’s videos. The short primer is that literally everything is checked on instruments and ears, and anything from Asgard 2 on up gets 1-4 day burn-in and recheck as well. We also have extensive test equipment, including 6 Avermetrics and one APx555, the Avermetrics mainly used for in-line testing. In terms of grounding, when we were made aware of one Jotunheim that appeared not to be grounded, we instituted a 100% test of new, repaired, and refurbished units for this possible defect across the entire line, not just the slide-top chassis. And in terms of transparency, please point me at another audio company that shares more about their process, their ongoing trials, their successes, and their failures.

Hope this helps a bit,

Jason

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 21, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #44,088 of 149,153
And in terms of transparency, please point me at another audio company that shares more about their process, their ongoing trials, their successes, and their failures.

That's easy ... None!

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #44,089 of 149,153
3. About changes to other DACs: read Slouching Towards Kaizen again. Everything gets tweaked, most of the time due to need rather than want. There’s nothing that’s been “upgrade worthy” worth announcing. Remember, an upgrade to a Multibit product means replacing a bunch of expensive parts, so we don’t do it lightly.

Thanks for clarifying!

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #44,091 of 149,153
Will Ragnarok 2 have a amp direct input so it can be used a just a power amp?
I can't answer that question but I suggest just buying a Vidar.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #44,092 of 149,153
Hey guys,

1. About new Modi Multibit firmware: contact Amy@schiit.com and she can help you out. I believe it’s $35 to bring it up to current (which has not changed since February 2018.) This is the only running change on Modi Multibit. Mike (and many others) are of the opinion that it makes no sonic difference.

2. About Unison USB™ already being out in the wild. No. LOL. Ha. That’s still in beta testing. When it’s released, you’ll know it, because it will have a different VID/PID, as well as a new identification string, and a BIG press release. Also, you may not want it. It will only support Windows 10, MacOS, most popular Linux distros for streamers, iOS, and Android from N and up. It will not have a Windows 7 driver. For this reason, we may roll it out slowly, only on one model to start, or as an option. And there won’t be a Unison Eitr, Eitr is pretty much dead as a product due to slow sales (like Wyrd) and will probably not be made anymore. But YMMV. Always in motion the future and all that, this is 100% guesswork based on our current knowledge. Hell, additional glitches in Phase 2 of the beta test could push Unison out beyond summer for the first product.

-snip--

Hope this helps a bit,

Jason

Thanks, Jason, and as a confirmed Schiit-head and the 'Affordable Audiophile', I commend you and Mike on your openness about ALL aspects of the process--the good, the bad and the ugly.

I know that producing quality products at the targeted price-points is significantly more difficult. When I purchased my Mimby, it sounded so much better than the one I had for review, I was almost afraid to say anything. Nothing "official" had been said, so I just assumed it was a "quiet" upgrade.

But, the most surprising revelation I have had, was when I pulled my 'old' Modi 2 DAC out of the dust bin, and mated with my Magni 3 HP amplifier. I was so pleasantly surprised at what Mike's D/S design was pulling out of my files. I remember hearing you or Mike say that your objective has always been to get the most out of the Music we owned, instead of chasing the alphabet-soup of newer formats which would require us to buy new copies of our favorites.

I am also glad that whatever was stopping the Valhalla 2 from shipping has been cleared up, as that is my next purchase. I seriously looked at all the competitors making a SET OTL HP tube amps, and as you well know, it was either a Chinese product or over $600 for a unit made in the US.
Some folks directed me to a BHC (I refuse to glamourize a deadly drug in a product name--I am okay with bodily functions).

I am a Music lover, not a DIY hobbyist. I have a solder aversion.

The VH2 is a proven design and plug and play performer at a truly ridiculous price-point. And that is why we are Schiit-heads.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #44,093 of 149,153

My 2 channel system and HT system is the same room. I'm looking for an all in one box solution to make integration simple. The Parasound Halo Integrated and Peachtree Nova 150 tick all of the right boxes for me all though I don't need the high power output. If Ragnarok 2 has HT bypass/Amp Direct I'd be all in.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #44,094 of 149,153

I fired up my repaired space heater (Vidar) this morning. At least on my elacs it's dead quiet from about 2 feet away. I expect it to be the same with my wharfedales later this week. It now sounds awesome at all sound levels, I'm using Magni 3 and Modi 3 with it right now.

I have enjoyed the SQ of this amp from the first time I fired it up.

I noticed the area of the unit above the transformer didn't heat up as quickly as before. Id be really interested and happy if @Jason Stoddard would roll out that transformer chapter at some point. I believe he mentioned Aegir and Ragnarok 2 sharing a transformer. I am wondering if Vidar now shares the same transformer. Jason, if you could share now or in the future that would be swell.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #44,095 of 149,153
could somebody from Schiit Audio confirm this improvement, at least technical change?. I am saving for a Gumby but if the Bifrost is closing the gap I might change my mind

I'm not from Schiit, but for what it is worth ...

The "current" Bifrost MB I had for review had definitely closed the gap on the "original" Gungnir MB. But then the "current" Gungnir MB sounds better than the "original" one too, as well as having something of a shift in its presentation/tone (it's closer to the original pre-"Analog 2" Yggdrasil now). The actual level-of-difference in performance between the "current" Bifrost MB and "current" Gungnir MB I had on loan remains about the same as between the "original" models. So if Gungnir MB is where you were headed, I would stay on that course.

Also, it's worth noting that I'm only using the terms "current" and "original" as references to the rough time period the units were acquired from. "Current" simply meaning it was one of the units I had on loan in October last year, which I presumed to be what was currently shipping and "original" being a unit that heralds from much closer to when it was originally released (e.g. the "original" Bifrost MB I am referencing was upgraded from the Uber version to multi-bit pretty much the same month that the multi-bit upgrade was available, the "original" Gungnir MB is from the first half of 2017 and so on). I'd avoid reading more into those terms than that, and it is not my intention to suggest anything else.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #44,097 of 149,153
Hey guys,

4. About QC, grounding, transparency, etc. I think I’ve done a chapter before on this, and there are Tony’s videos. The short primer is that literally everything is checked on instruments and ears, and anything from Asgard 2 on up gets 1-4 day burn-in and recheck as well. We also have extensive test equipment, including 6 Avermetrics and one APx555, the Avermetrics mainly used for in-line testing. In terms of grounding, when we were made aware of one Jotunheim that appeared not to be grounded, we instituted a 100% test of new, repaired, and refurbished units for this possible defect across the entire line, not just the slide-top chassis. And in terms of transparency, please point me at another audio company that shares more about their process, their ongoing trials, their successes, and their failures.

Hope this helps a bit,

Jason

@Jason Stoddard, will the Unison USB be able to fit into the Modi Multibit?

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #44,098 of 149,153
In my opinion, a better answer than adding a remote to switch the inputs on Yggdrasil would be for Schiit to take the concept of the Ragnarok 2 Giant Digital Input Card that wasn't and turn it into a GIANT DIGITAL PREAMP.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #44,100 of 149,153
Aegir, when?

First boards supposedly come in tomorrow. So, with any luck, next week.

Aside: I love it when I say "February," and some people start emailing us on February 1 at 12:02 AM, asking for the product. People that know us know we mean, "February 28 at 11:59PM. Maybe." That's why they're called "estimates." AKA "guesses."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back