1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    It's winter so we are in our seasonal dispute over the ownership of "our" Yggdrasil and if she is allowed to sleep on it during the cold night.

GearMe, CAPT Deadpool and US Blues like this.
  2. Robert Padgett
    I was just poking fun at the long thread on the topic.
    The back screening said Rag 2, and one would wonder why would you print it on metal?
    But more important, releasing this photo after writing a chapter about Bob and the FTC seems illogical.
    Photoshop anyone?

3. Xcalibur255
    Heat-wise it would probably be fine, but generally speaking when you have gear capable of this level of resolution you have to start paying attention to sources of interference for them. Both of those products have multiple transformers in them and could potentially be sources of interference for the other. Even if the magnetic fields are well controlled (and I assume they are since Jason knows what he is doing) there may still be some residual leakage.

edit: I think it would be important to know what kind of feet the Rag2 would have on the bottom of the chassis too. If there was any chance of thermal transfer the Rag would end up using the Yggdrasil chassis as a secondary heat sink and that's a thermal management situation the latter product wasn't designed to accommodate.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    the finisher likes this.
  4. XERO1
    By having a remote, the Rag 2 now makes sense for someone looking for a medium-powered high-end integrated amp for a small-to-medium sized home stereo set-up.

5. Jason Stoddard
    It takes a while to get the old metal out of the system. The metal has been done since fall. If anyone's super upset, we'll cover it up with a non-removable sticker that says "Assembled in USA." You'll start seeing the "Assembled in USA" on the small stuff first.

Oh, and stacking? These are rack products, not stack products. I don't even know if the feet on Ragnarok will sit on Yggdrasil (may slide off the back, since it's deeper.) Plus, it's 32 lbs. Much heavier than the old Ragnarok--thank the much larger, potted-in-a-steel-box-with-mu-metal-shielded transformer for that. So if it slides off, kiss the finish on your Yggdrasil goodbye--there are 4 very large bolts and a well protruding from the Ragnarok 2 bottom.

Heat-wise, field-wise, sure, shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I should get a stamped 1/4" steel riser with a couple of laser-cut Schiit logos on it and call it the Schiit Stacker.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
    omniweltall, artur9, TomSix and 16 others like this.
  6. XERO1
    Excellent idea, good sir! :nerd:
    It could also be used for stacking smaller pieces of Schiit too!! :grin:

7. Robert Padgett
    I am not super upset, by any means. Too much love. As a photographer, I also know that sometimes the promo pictures are taken of prototypes or mock-ups. It seemed as though the discussion and suggestion for different "solutions" ran for three days--and then I saw that and it jumped right out, which I know "Bob" might have called "flaunting it in their face". Or maybe just an inside joke to make sure we are paying attention?:joy_cat: All good.

8. Jason Stoddard
    One little wrinkle: the proposed 1/4" thick steel piece would weigh about 27 lbs if sized for Ragnarok/Yggdrasil. Call it the Deskbreaker™!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  9. Alcophone
    Perfect for the wobbly standing desks in the office!

Rowethren likes this.
  10. Rattle
    As much as I love my saga/vidar for my speakers, rag 2 with nexus, new Schiit USB and a nice as balanced as possible MB DAC has me absolutely foaming at the mouth.

maybe a better question for @Baldr but perhaps @Jason Stoddard can speak of any phono pre amp options. Mani like or better for the rag 2 ?

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  11. sam6550a
    1/4 inch steel? Could also be used as a flat griddle for pancakes and eggs!

12. XERO1
    How about aluminum then? Or 1/8" steel with strategic areas of material removed?

13. jimmers
    Is it potted in a steel box so we won't notice that it's a toroid? :imp:

EI EI, oh! :disappointed:

edit: You could make the Schiit Stacker from Elektron, sounds suitable

14. Mike-WI
    EDIT: truncated and bolded for clarity as to what I was responding to...
    I thought the original Ragnarok is 32 pounds?
    https://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok
    Size: 16 x 12 x 3.75”
    Weight: 32 lbs

15. FLTWS