Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 11, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #43,712 of 149,153
The keyword is Sign Magnitude.... That way you get level precision down to the last bit, which is what you really need for Audio....
Thank you,
I thought that was only to avoid possibly big glitch around analog zero.
Spoiler edited, it was a waste of words. :head_bandage:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #43,713 of 149,153
Feb 11, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #43,714 of 149,153
Feb 11, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #43,715 of 149,153

The writer’s choice of words are not the most eloquent ones I’ve ever encountered.

The reviewer will not win awards for his prose, that's for sure. While I agree with his conclusion, I don't agree with his characterization of the Bifrost Multibit compared to the Mojo. I really dislike the Mojo. It's too warm and soft and light in bass. The imaging and soundstage of the Mojo are actually good. If the Bifrost Multibit is weaker here, it is only by a small amount. That does not makeup for the Mojo's aforementioned weaknesses. The Bifrost Multibit's energy really shines in comparison. The music feels more real and alive. It's both more accurate and more fun.

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #43,716 of 149,153
cat-typing.gif
giphy.gif

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #43,719 of 149,153
Actually I don't think any form of encouragement is required, as it appears to be a perpetually self energizing feedback and feedforward loop.
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #43,720 of 149,153
I can't believe people are already complaining about the Sol......

But they're complaining about the location of the power switch. That's just background noise around here.

Good thing there's no LED's on the Sol, then we'd have real complaints :wink:

Keep us informed on your new bifrost multibit listening. I'm a modi-multibit user who has been fence sitting on an upgrade for a long time, and a little bit of that elusive audiophilia nervosa could push me over the edge...

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #43,721 of 149,153
To my knowledge Schiit has never offered upgrades to their low priced Modi DACs, they even note on their website that Modis are not upgradeable. They don't have the newest Gen 5 USB which is available only on the Bifrost and up. If you want a DAC which is upgradeable you need to consider buying a Bifrost instead of a Modi. This is an example of you do get what you pay for. Modi Multibit is a great low cost DAC but even after adding an Eitr to get the Gen 5 USB it does not equal the sound quality of the Bifrost Multibit.
@exdmd ... That's the exact same conclusion I came to before I went the Schiit audio route (it was either this company or JDS Labs [pleasing design, responsive sales staff, US-assembled, THAT gloriously-shmoooth knob]). My little brushed-aluminum box upgrade path's at its zenith. And I'm satisfied. Now, I consider other boxes for 100% whoo whoo want (0% need).

It's fun to rediscover my music with good gear. :ksc75smile:

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #43,722 of 149,153
But they're complaining about the location of the power switch....
That's all I didn't like, I can't imagine a worse place for the switch for the reasons I gave earlier (without being stupid and saying something like on the arm or on the platter), the rest looks great.

I'm used to Schiit switches fitted inconveniently on the back of the chassis, but my Bimby is on all the time and for the Jot on top of it a reach over would be OK as it's within arms reach (if I didn't have another DAC on top, a matching empty Hammond case on top of that, a die-cast model Spitfire Mk Vb beside that and a rubber ducky on the empty case :dizzy_face: )
:slight_smile:

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #43,723 of 149,153
The keyword is Sign Magnitude.... That way you get level precision down to the last bit, which is what you really need for Audio....

Sir

Please link or explain Sign Magnitude.

Edit: I read Baldr's thread that was linked and think I grok Sign Magnitude now.

Oh and on behalf of America, thank you to the Danish people for Carlsburg.

DP

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #43,724 of 149,153
No cartridge is going to mean a whoooole lot of emails and returns. Yes the returns will be from people that don't read the description. For me, having to manually setup a cartridge would be a dealbreaker. The dust cover would be important for me to set assorted junk on but not a deal breaker. :D

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #43,725 of 149,153
No cartridge is going to mean a whoooole lot of emails and returns. Yes the returns will be from people that don't read the description. For me, having to manually setup a cartridge would be a dealbreaker. The dust cover would be important for me to set assorted junk on but not a deal breaker. :D

IMO

Easy enough to build your own dust cover out of wood I would think. Or buy one of VPI's dust covers if they fit.

I think the Sol is aimed at those who already have experience with vinyl and likely have extra cartridges. I have an AT-120 (a Bday gift) and the stock cart (stored) as well as a MP-110 mounted. I took the time to learn how to set up the table and align the cart. Was it easy? No, frankly it was a pain in the schiithole, but I learned a lot. People opting for the Sol will likely be equipped to set it up (I have a cheap force measuring device, an alignment chart, etc) or will pay someone to come set it up for them.

If/when I get a Sol I'll probably opt for another Nagaoka with the MP-150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back