Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 10, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #43,697 of 148,511
Indeed, it's an odd looking duck. I sincerely hope the vinyl-lovers get a kick out of it. @Jason Stoddard is right - it won't be for everyone. Me? As long as Schiit doesn't start marketing 8-track or cassette tape players, I'm good (yeesh, individuals who pine for the cassette-deck technology make me bite bite my tongue).

I'm guilty of looking and the Sol photos from the Schittr meet and going...... uh..... hmmm..... well,....... Thankfully, I followed an old-Estonian addage: if one's about to say something critical, take a sip of water, hold it, then swallow (think-then-respond). I might be butchering it (and the online Esti's will howl foul), but the idea's sound. I won't be an armchair quarterback!

+1. 'nuff said.

-1. I lied. Add RBG lighting that flashes to the beat! :ksc75smile:

My ModiMultibit can't be flashed, right? I'm assuming I can't send my unit in for a 1-time-upgrade in the future, right? Oy....

Firmware updates. For my ModiMB? Oh man, that's a can of worms. :deadhorse: When my beer fund gets flush (again), I'm going to jump up to the Gungnir. Adapt-a-clock?! BBG-indicators?! Multibit ver 2.x?! 100% want, 0% need, eh. :gs1000smile:

To my knowledge Schiit has never offered upgrades to their low priced Modi DACs, they even note on their website that Modis are not upgradeable. They don't have the newest Gen 5 USB which is available only on the Bifrost and up. If you want a DAC which is upgradeable you need to consider buying a Bifrost instead of a Modi. This is an example of you do get what you pay for. Modi Multibit is a great low cost DAC but even after adding an Eitr to get the Gen 5 USB it does not equal the sound quality of the Bifrost Multibit.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #43,698 of 148,511
Do you know what's the advantage of this design instead of pure R-2R?
Thermometer DACs are more linear (and as @soekris mentioned paralleling resistors reduces noise) and the resistor differences tend to average out, unfortunately while a 20 bit R-2R ladder DAC is self-decoding and requires ~ 20 switches and 40 resistors (mono), a 20 bit thermometer DAC needs ~ 1 million switches and resistors and the decoding from binary to thermometer is not included, see below for a 4 bit version of a decoder, there are frames titled - 2bit DEC, 3bit DEC and the full picture - 4bit DEC
As you will notice for each new bit frame moving to the right a new level of decoding is added and the number of outputs is doubled, continue for another 16 levels and ~1 million outputs and you have your 20 bit decoder to operate your million switches and resistors.
You'll need 4 of those for a balanced 20 bit DAC :grimacing:
That's why it's only done for 6 bits in Yggy's chips.

Binary-to-thermometer-decoder.png

By using a thermometer DAC for the 6 MSBs the errors in the R-2R DAC are pushed down 36dB

(well that's my take on it)

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #43,701 of 148,511
The triangle feet will make for a sort of weird dust cover, but it might look cool. Exposed wiring can easily be wrapped for anyone who will display this next to things that look more finished.

Look at the Oracle Delphi for an example of a turntable with a y-shaped chassis that has a conventional looking dust cover. No comparison pricewise, of course,even used,

https://www.oracle-audio.com/delphi-mkvi-second-generation

Other technological differences too.

Feb 10, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #43,702 of 148,511
Archimago is calling down the audio gods again :). This hits the spot for me: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/02/musings-computer-audio-mythos-comment.html
Archimago asks good questions, and super-duper clocks for Ethernet and USB audio -- both async protocols -- is magic beans, but he's never addressed properly, in that posting or earlier ones, the question of electrical noise carried by USB wires (or other digital electronic) sources into DACs. The "bits are bits" dogma works fine for reasonably designed purely digital circuitry, but it falls apart when the bits, electrically encoding as noisy signals go into controlling the generation of an analog signal with a dynamic range > 100dB, meaning < 20uV relative to a 2V 0 dB output level.

Feb 10, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #43,703 of 148,511
It can. I assume they don't flash it but rather replace the chip with the firmware. Or maybe they re-flash the chip. If you look at the pictures of Modi on Schiit's website, the second picture to last shows an 8-pin chip that's not soldered but rather plugged in. It can be easily replaced. I think the firmware update is not free.

I read earlier in the thread it’s $35.

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #43,707 of 148,511
To my knowledge Schiit has never offered upgrades to their low priced Modi DACs, they even note on their website that Modis are not upgradeable. They don't have the newest Gen 5 USB which is available only on the Bifrost and up. If you want a DAC which is upgradeable you need to consider buying a Bifrost instead of a Modi. This is an example of you do get what you pay for. Modi Multibit is a great low cost DAC but even after adding an Eitr to get the Gen 5 USB it does not equal the sound quality of the Bifrost Multibit.
The discussion was not about hardware upgrades. It was about firmware updates.

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #43,708 of 148,511
Thermometer DACs are more linear (and as @soekris mentioned paralleling resistors reduces noise) and the resistor differences tend to average out, unfortunately while a 20 bit R-2R ladder DAC is self-decoding and requires ~ 20 switches and 40 resistors (mono), a 20 bit thermometer DAC needs ~ 1 million switches and resistors and the decoding from binary to thermometer is not included, see below for a 4 bit version of a decoder, there are frames titled - 2bit DEC, 3bit DEC and the full picture - 4bit DEC
As you will notice for each new bit frame moving to the right a new level of decoding is added and the number of outputs is doubled, continue for another 16 levels and ~1 million outputs and you have your 20 bit decoder to operate your million switches and resistors.
You'll need 4 of those for a balanced 20 bit DAC :grimacing:
That's why it's only done for 6 bits in Yggy's chips.

By using a thermometer DAC for the 6 MSBs the errors in the R-2R DAC are pushed down 36dB

(well that's my take on it)
Yes, I realize that an n-bit thermometer DAC requires 2^n resistors. This Wikipedia article helped me understand better what you said: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder#Accuracy_of_R–2R_resistor_ladders
"Small inaccuracies in the MSB resistors can entirely overwhelm the contribution of the LSB resistors." "Resistors used with the more significant bits must be proportionally more accurate than those used with the less significant bits" "The required accuracy doubles with each additional bit"
So, they increased the accuracy by going with this R-2R/Kelvin design. For such a high bit count it may be the only way.

Regarding the discrete R-2R DACs the article states: "For a 10-bit converter, even using 0.1% precision resistors would not guarantee monotonicity of output. This being said, high resolution R-2R ladders formed from discrete components are sometimes used, the nonlinearity being corrected in software."

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #43,710 of 148,511
Yes, I realize that an n-bit thermometer DAC requires 2^n resistors. This Wikipedia article helped me understand better what you said: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor_ladder#Accuracy_of_R–2R_resistor_ladders
"Small inaccuracies in the MSB resistors can entirely overwhelm the contribution of the LSB resistors." "For a 10-bit converter, even using 0.1% precision resistors would not guarantee monotonicity of output. This being said, high resolution R-2R ladders formed from discrete components are sometimes used, the nonlinearity being corrected in software."
I hope my spiel helped you get your foot in the door of segmented DACs.
The Wikipedia article doesn't include thermometer DACs (outside the article scope) and the profusion of simple gates required for it, something in the order of 2 * ((2^n) - 1)

p.s. Soekris higher end DACs (and the DIY dam1021-12) use discrete 0.01% resistors, but I don't know what else he does to get 24+ bit monotonicity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back