1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. ScottFree
    Yeah a [​IMG]

2. Miguel Barone
    If you use digital media (no streaming) you're also using rituals. Read about USB drives, backups, ripping, folder and label organization, blah blah.

Think about it.

The real deal it's streaming ... It's what i do when i don't listen to Vinyl

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. Robert Padgett
    I like the ritual of getting up, loading an entire discography of an artist, putting on a set of headphones, closing my eyes and watching them perform in my Mind...of course there is a genuflecting and ritual sacrifice, but only when a new release is posted on HDTracks...

JamminVMI and sam6550a like this.
  4. Miguel Barone
    The major ritual of vinyl also happens when you buy a new record, when you clean it well (i use a vacuum record cleaner).
    Later it's only to use the carbon fibre brush about 5 seconds. Voilá!

You will stand up to listen the other side ... yes ... and it's ok. If i don't want it, just because i will sleep or something, i use digital, and i'm happy again.

What i'm trying to say is that we tend to be complacent with what we are used to do. I don't want to convince anyone to use vinyl, i just try to show that it's not that "terrible thing" to use it.

Maybe (without that intention) i'm starting a thread like "come on, fight against me" ... so, i will not talk about this anymore.

Be happy with your music, that's all!

5. Paladin79
    I used it for many years without thinking it terrible, I just use vinyl less now, and music cds, and reel to reel.

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  6. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    I don't think anyone here thinks it's a terrible thing.
    Not that I can read on this thread.

7. Miguel Barone
    :clap::clap::clap: ... i used reel to reel on 80s ... fantastic sound!

Sure, see my quotation marks, it's an exageration to try to show more clearly mi intentions. Something more common in latin cultures :blush: ... i'm an italian citizen also Pietro, i suppose you're italian by your surname. My grandfather comes to South America from Italy, surely running away from postwar in Europe, i really didn't know him.

RCBinTN likes this.
  8. PolarBehr
    What would you consider equivalent Turntable/Cartridge/tone arm to a Gumby? Yiggy?

Is a 70’s 80’s vinyl shortage LP with the hole not punched in the middle equivalent to a CD? A 180 gram LP equivalent to a Hi Rez digital file?

9. Miguel Barone

If we're talking about a very good quality dac as Yggdrasil we need to go to a good quality turntable / cartridge / Phono preamp. Now, if you want to hear my opinion i think about a turntable like Rega p6 / mofi ultradeck / Technics 1200GR.
    The cartridge can be a good quality MM like the audio Technica vm540 and a preamp like a Graham Slee / Lehmann Audio. That goes aprox 2500 usd.

And it's a hell of analog source.

About the discs ... 180 grams doesn't sound better because it's thicker. In my opinion it's all about the recording quality. Can't compare the sound quality based on technical parameters of the media.
    There are very good CD's and there are very good lps, with 120, 150, 180 or 200 grams. A good lp simply sounds magical :)

You can find used lps in good condition that sound spectacular ... and also spectacular new remastered lps, the new queen lps i bought sounds so good.

Only my opinion.

10. US Blues
    BOOM! You just won this thread.

PS- On a technical note, mastering is part of the original sound placed on the media.

sam6550a, MWSVette and AudioGal like this.
  11. Miguel Barone
    Of course, i agree totally.

US Blues likes this.
  12. Ripper2860
    I truly enjoy the process of selecting an album, looking at the cover, sliding the LP out of the case, gently placing it on the platter, giving a good cleaning with an anti-static brush...

... and then sitting down and hitting play on my tablet to stream the ripped album from my music streamer to my DAC!!

Best of both worlds!!! :smirk:

OK -- seriously. I enjoy a well pressed and well mastered LP as much as a well mastered CD or Hi-Res download file. I also equally hate a poorly pressed and mastered LP or poorly mastered CD. I do seem to find more poorly mastered CDs than I do LPs, however.

13. earnmyturns
    The standard SmartiPi Touch frame allows you to plug in the HAT and attach it with spacers and screws. It's an open assembly. I'll take a photo of the back at the office tomorrow.

14. JamminVMI
    Yes, but by and large, we do most of it but once...

And it’s all about preference. To each their own. I have my digital media and my turntable, both of which I love.

15. Timster
    Yes! This.

US Blues likes this.