Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 5, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #42,916 of 148,609
I am a happy bunny.

I have my Freya is back [don't ask me why it was to be delivered on Wednesday, on Thursday, on Friday, and finally arrived on Saturday - thanks FEDEX] coupled up with proper tubes and I have the preferred music back in the living room and the Modi3/Magni3 back in my office.

I see you @winders and @jseymour trying to lead me down the white smoke path again. :) Perhaps, in due course.

I want to give a big shoutout to @jasonstoddard and his whole team at Schiit, especially in light of the recent comments wrt support from Schiit. My experience? The Freya was sent to CA, Schiit fully tested it, and returned it, all under warranty and my only cost was to ship it to California. In view of the fact that it was my idiocy that created the problem in the first place, that seems to be service of the highest order. It would have been more than reasonable for me to have to pay.

I shall now see if I can get to the task of encasing the Rpi to match the rest and then properly securing cables so that the system looks like less of a mare's nest than it does now. Then, and only then, may pictures be forthcoming.

Cheers

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #42,917 of 148,609
Thanks for that excellent précise! Does RAAT use the DLNA stack in its entirety? I had imagined that using http for commands to e.g. the web server but the results of the command, i.e. the music was sent as blocks over TCP.

Cheers

Roon does not use DLNA. RAAT is a protocol that sits on top of TCP.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #42,918 of 148,609
The Freya was sent to CA, Schiit fully tested it, and returned it, all under warranty and my only cost was to ship it to California. In view of the fact that it was my idiocy that created the problem in the first place, that seems to be service of the highest order. It would have been more than reasonable for me to have to pay.
There's a funding attempt for Constanza's new bike...

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #42,921 of 148,609
@Jason Stoddard, in the Vali 2 I think you have created the lowest cost great amp. I have tried several Schiit amps, most of them more expensive, but I always go back to the Vali. Bravo, sir!

Heard many of Schiit’s products at CanJam last year and found the Vali2 Incredible!!! Music was so natural. Thanks people at Schiit!!

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #42,922 of 148,609
I am a happy bunny.

I have my Freya is back [don't ask me why it was to be delivered on Wednesday, on Thursday, on Friday, and finally arrived on Saturday - thanks FEDEX] coupled up with proper tubes and I have the preferred music back in the living room and the Modi3/Magni3 back in my office.

I see you @winders and @jseymour trying to lead me down the white smoke path again. :) Perhaps, in due course.

I want to give a big shoutout to @jasonstoddard and his whole team at Schiit, especially in light of the recent comments wrt support from Schiit. My experience? The Freya was sent to CA, Schiit fully tested it, and returned it, all under warranty and my only cost was to ship it to California. In view of the fact that it was my idiocy that created the problem in the first place, that seems to be service of the highest order. It would have been more than reasonable for me to have to pay.

I shall now see if I can get to the task of encasing the Rpi to match the rest and then properly securing cables so that the system looks like less of a mare's nest than it does now. Then, and only then, may pictures be forthcoming.

Cheers

I accidentally knocked a fulla 2 off my desk and the volume knob came completely off. Was totally honestly with Schiit support and told them what happened. They fixed it under warranty. Though there's still residual issues (static when turning the knob, etc.) so I may actually try to send it back again, but yeah if they wanted me to pay for the repair that would have been totally reasonable but they didn't. Schiit support is awesome.

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #42,923 of 148,609
I am a happy bunny.

Cheers

Here is what I use to house my RPi setup (pics at bottom of page) - http://bit.ly/2sa0ZSN. Unfortunately the unit I purchased is no longer available from TwelveSouth. The new and improved model is considerably more expensive! But my unit can be found new on ebay - https://ebay.to/2scdqNR.

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #42,924 of 148,609
I'm late to the Schiit transport discussion but still wanted to add my 2¢.

Mike mentioned in the Darko interview that one of the things they could do with the forthcoming Schiit USB implementation is make USB outputs. When they make the transport, I think it would be cool if it had a USB output so that it could also be used as a high quality ripping device, for those that have large CD collections but prefer to keep and play files off a server. Truthfully, I don't know if the quality of the spinner makes a difference in the quality of ripped CD files, but I've seen dedicated hi-fi CD rippers (like the ASTELL & KERN AK CD RIPPER MKII), so clearly some people think it does. It would be nice functionality, add value to the product, and take advantage of Schiits investment in their proprietary USB implementation.

Other than that, I think it would be a solid product that would benefit from having Schiit's direct-sales prices, American-made quality, and it would look great when paired with a Schiit system.

Personally, I don't have a need for one as long as my home theater and stereo systems are the same, which they will be for the foreseeable future. Like a couple other posters, I currently use a Sony X800 player which has pretty good build quality and a coaxial SPDIF output. I have it connected to my Modi 3 and it allows me to watch 4K blu-rays and play CD's every now and then, even though most of my music listening is done through steaming apps on my phone. To my ears, the SPDIF connection from the player sounds cleaner for movies compared to the optical output from my TV that I use for other TV related audio, and CDs played over the X800 sound better than the same lossless files coming from my phone connected to the Modi through USB.

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #42,925 of 148,609

Cheers

I thought I'd post a BEFORE shot for reference. Can't wait to see how it looks when you're done!! :wink:

spkr-wire_0.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #42,928 of 148,609
Regarding network players based on RPi, Audiophonics in France has some interesting packaged solutions under the labels RaspDIGI and RaspTOUCH. I've not used those, I've only bought an LPS from them for my DYI office Pi-based digital player, but they might be work looking into.

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #42,930 of 148,609
Regarding network players based on RPi, Audiophonics in France has some interesting packaged solutions under the labels RaspDIGI and RaspTOUCH. I've not used those, I've only bought an LPS from them for my DYI office Pi-based digital player, but they might be work looking into.

Well, I'm being a little sneaky. My enclosure will be an ex-Modi2 enclosure, which I bought as bstock.

[long aside: I see that there is ONE black Vidar in the recent bstock list, would that be a Darth Vidar??? As Jody says "You've amused yourself, haven't you?"]

The challenge with the enclosure is to reengineer the holes in the formed metal chassis, so as to accommodate the RPi / HiFiBerry SPDIF HAT (I think I have abandoned the HFB XLR idea, it's just too bulky). If I can resolve that without it looking crappy, I shall ponder the front more. I'm thinking a 3d print a Raspberry logo [to go over the ex-volume knob hole] and probably a Roon logo. Time will tell. Too many projects and too little time.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back