Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 9, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #42,212 of 148,668
You may laugh, but ABBA's music is a lot more complex and hard to sing than most folks believe.
One day at work, a coworker began playing music on his computer with the volume turned up, including an ABBA album. Nobody minded and this went on for some time, until he realized that his headphones weren't plugged in all the way, and the sound was actually coming from his speakers. :o2smile: He was so embarrassed.

People laugh at ABBA while in reality it's their secret pleasure.

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #42,213 of 148,668
Here's another problem to chew on.
I have a rice cooker that trips the powerbreak the moment it switches from cooking to warming.
When I reset all and put it back into the power outlet to to keep warm it's all ok again.
Some help here please?

Is the breaker an overload or earth leakage (residual current) type? Or a combination one?
They trip for different reasons.

I doubt that an overload breaker would trip from such a short overload, if indeed that's what's happening at that instant. My suspicion is that you have an RCD type breaker and there is a fault in the relay/switch circuit in the rice cooker that momentarily drops some current to earth as it switches. RCDs have a very fast response time (usually 20ms or less) as they are designed to prevent electrocution if a person becomes the short circuit to earth. If you have more than one breaker you could try the cooker on a different house circuit to see if the fault lies elsewhere. If the cooker trips the second circuit it's probably easier/safer/cheaper to buy another rice cooker. If it doesn't you may have a weird fault in the wiring/switches/outlets on the first circuit ..... I suspect the cooker.

Disclaimer - I am NOT an electrician, I just worked Faults/Emergencies for an electricity network in Australia

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #42,214 of 148,668
It's a crowd of people with knowledge of electra here.
Come on guys, help me a bit.
If you ask me (in my field) for instance the best way to clean your ears yourself, I would help you.
You want to discus a medical problem? PM me.
Italian recipe? Idem.
Pietro,
Without having your rice cooker to examine, the hypothesis that I suggest is that there is a fault in the relay that switches between the "cook" heating element and the "warm" heating element---it may not turn off the "cook" element before turning on the "warm" element, ergo both elements would be on at the same time, causing the cooker to draw too much current and trip the breaker. If I remember correctly, the 220V receptacle breakers are 16 amperes. How you fix the problem, however, may be difficult. In the USA, getting parts for small appliances like a rice cooker is difficult----the makers consider them "disposable items". I would suggest a local small appliance repair firm, if one is available. I assume, since you are an experienced cook, that the subject rice cooker is not a cheap[$20 US] appliance, but a professional cooker. If you can come up with a wiring diagram I will be happy to help analyze the problem.
Best regards,
Sam

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #42,215 of 148,668
If you ask me (in my field) for instance the best way to clean your ears yourself, I would help you.
Italian recipe? Idem.
There are a couple cookers out there if memory serves that turn on warming circuits before turning off the cookers. Seems to me there was something on about that here in the states a while back. Suggest Zojirushi’s small micom cookers. Best rice around (but I’m picky, grew up in SE Asia)...

On another note, in prep for getting Vidar or Aegir (might have screwed up the name there), I grabbed a Saga with both tubes before Thanksgiving, just set it up (w/NOS Russian) in front of Bifrost/Lyr 3, and love it when I cut in the Tube buffer ampnd the sounstage grows remarkably in width!

Since I sit 3m away, the volume control via remote ain’t bad either... Rice cookers and Tube Preamps!

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #42,217 of 148,668
I have a rice cooker that trips the powerbreak the moment it switches from cooking to warming.
When I reset all and put it back into the power outlet to to keep warm it's all ok again.
Some help here please?
Another aspect that might be in play here is that the branch circuit you use with the rice cooker may already be being used with other electrical loads (ie. what else is that circuit breaker feeding?).

If that branch circuit is already loaded to well over 1/2 of its capacity, a quick surge (your rice cooker) can trip a breaker as that circuit breaker is already 'poised' to trip.
This situation can be dealt with by an electrician or someone who knows how to deal with electrical panels and live wires.

IOW where the rice cooker is plugged in may be part of an already heavily loaded branch circuit and the rice cooker is the straw that trips that circuit breaker.

JJ

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #42,218 of 148,668
Is the breaker an overload or earth leakage (residual current) type? Or a combination one?
They trip for different reasons.

I doubt that an overload breaker would trip from such a short overload, if indeed that's what's happening at that instant. My suspicion is that you have an RCD type breaker and there is a fault in the relay/switch circuit in the rice cooker that momentarily drops some current to earth as it switches. RCDs have a very fast response time (usually 20ms or less) as they are designed to prevent electrocution if a person becomes the short circuit to earth. If you have more than one breaker you could try the cooker on a different house circuit to see if the fault lies elsewhere. If the cooker trips the second circuit it's probably easier/safer/cheaper to buy another rice cooker. If it doesn't you may have a weird fault in the wiring/switches/outlets on the first circuit ..... I suspect the cooker.

Disclaimer - I am NOT an electrician, I just worked Faults/Emergencies for an electricity network in Australia
I believe this is the correct answer to @Pietro Cozzi Tinin question. Is your breaker a GFI Pietro? If so, you can try replacing it with a unit with a lower rating. This may violate code though. I suggest a new rice cooker

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #42,219 of 148,668
Italian recipe? Idem.
If it's tripping the breaker when it switches power level the internal controller has an issue, likely it is grounding the circuit when it switches. Without tearing it apart and troubleshooting I'll guess it is about to quit completely and blow your circuit whenever you switch it on. Which is a good thing as it is better than burning down your house. I suggest cooking rice on the stove top and turning the rice cooker into a planter.

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #42,220 of 148,668
ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #42,221 of 148,668
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #42,223 of 148,668
Some help here please?

Hello, if you are cooking rice, you can use pressure cooker.
It cooks fast and tasty. I am using it for ten years after my rice cooker broke down.
Wash rice, put water the same amount as rice (using the same cup will be fine), then leave it to absorb water for say 30 minutes, put on fire, after pressurized and steam coming out, change oven fire small and cook for three minutes. After turning off the oven, just leave it till the pressure comes down.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #42,224 of 148,668
8Crn0vH.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back