Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 18, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #41,776 of 145,768
Nov 18, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #41,778 of 145,768
Please tell. What's bend radius?
bend-radius-1024x768.jpg

Actual radius depends on the type of cable

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #41,779 of 145,768
I use it in a couple applications and I have fiber in. It can be pricey if you buy equipment retail and you need to understand bend radius.
I understand bend radius (simply-bend it too far it breaks or becomes otherwise unusable (either that or because of the light-speed of the photons they won't be able to make the turn because of excessive "g" loads)) and that's one of the reasons I've not tried to retrofit into my house. Hopefully the next house will be new construction and fiber may be part of the plan.
And yes, I'm joking about the "g" load scenario.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #41,782 of 145,768
I'll keep tweaking (and perhaps eventually convince my wife that MESH systems are the way to go for us.

I put an Orbi into my current residence which is impossible to wire (all brick and stone) and incredibly hostile to Wifi. I almost need a transceiver in every room.

I like the ones with Ethernet hubs in them because the Orbi's Wifi is insanely fast (+800Mb/s or faster) but most consumer electronics come with only 100Mb Ethernet. The Orbis talk insanely fast to one another wirelessly while the CE devices can talk a reliable Ethernet. Best of both worlds.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #41,783 of 145,768
I may have created a monster...

With all the talk of the remastered White Album, I listened to it today via Tidal.

Mind Blown. On the first notes of Back In The USSR. The rest of the album is just as fabulous.

So I just handed the HE400's plugged into the Schiit stack to my wife with While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
Now she's listening to the whole album.
I know this is going to end well. Just not the way I thought.

BTW, to whoever suggested planar headphones, Thank You. While the HE400 is only entry level, they sound amazing with my Schiit stack. Time to start saving for upgrades. Sigh. My poor wallet may never recover.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #41,784 of 145,768

With all the talk of the remastered White Album, I listened to it today via Tidal.

Mind Blown. On the first notes of Back In The USSR. The rest of the album is just as fabulous.

So I just handed the HE400's plugged into the Schiit stack to my wife with While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

BTW, to whoever suggested planar headphones, Thank You. While the HE400 is only entry level, they sound amazing with my Schiit stack. Time to start saving for upgrades. Sigh. My poor wallet may never recover.
I heard it on Tidal but the digital download is even better. If you get a chance compare the tracks to earlier versions, this 50th anniversary mix is special no doubt.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #41,785 of 145,768

I'm listening to the Super-duper Deluxe Edition right now (through my Schiit stack and HE-4XX). I'd say Giles Martin and Sam Okell hit this one out of the park. :L3000:

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #41,786 of 145,768
I'm listening to the Super-duper Deluxe Edition right now (through my Schiit stack and HE-4XX). I'd say Giles Martin and Sam Okell hit this one out of the park. :L3000:

Listened to a great podcast, How the Beatles made the "White Album" today on NPR: All Songs Considered with guest Giles Martin. I haven't heard the new edition but the discussion here reminded me of my reaction to hearing the Steven Wilson remix of Chicago II for the first time.

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #41,787 of 145,768
saw this headline in my news feed today...

Donald Trump dropped a big 'Schitt' after dismissing a U.S. hero's military service

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #41,788 of 145,768

I put an Orbi into my current residence which is impossible to wire (all brick and stone) and incredibly hostile to Wifi. I almost need a transceiver in every room.

I like the ones with Ethernet hubs in them because the Orbi's Wifi is insanely fast (+800Mb/s or faster) but most consumer electronics come with only 100Mb Ethernet. The Orbis talk insanely fast to one another wirelessly while the CE devices can talk a reliable Ethernet. Best of both worlds.
You definitely want to match equipment with the capabilities of your cable when possible. I have heard of home routers that recommend higher than cat 6.

Nov 19, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #41,789 of 145,768
The tweak thread starts her where @winders begins to explain a tweak with a Netgear switch. I posted some pictures too.
I did exactly what he described and was pleasantly surprised by the not so small affect it had.
I'm still grateful for that.
Here's the link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-587#post-14423582
Thanks! After I finish some marking, I'll mess around with my WiFi (before my spouse comes home [zero down-time]).:ksc75smile: It's one of the consequence of being a couple of 'early adopters'.
This actually came up in the same [edit - discussion}.
@winders came with a reason why you shouldn't expect much from that.

bend-radius-1024x768.jpg

Actual radius depends on the type of cable
I'll dig around for that image's author and add it to my lesson plan on applications-of-total-internal-reflection. If I can get 1/2 the class understanding TIR, and how it's NOT refraction... that's an accomplishment. Sigh. Ontario Government: please, drop optics and resurrect kinematics in the next curriculum update!

I put an Orbi into my current residence which is impossible to wire (all brick and stone) and incredibly hostile to Wifi. I almost need a transceiver in every room......{snip}.......I like the ones with Ethernet hubs in them because the Orbi's Wifi is insanely fast (+800Mb/s or faster) but most consumer electronics come with only 100Mb Ethernet. The Orbis talk insanely fast to one another wirelessly while the CE devices can talk a reliable Ethernet. Best of both worlds.

Christ on a cracker, @artur9 . I mean this to be a respectful question: do you live in a rammed-earth house? It's one of the building technologies my spouse and I considered. She wants us to have a straw-bale house. When we design our next home up in the sticks, we both agree to install all kinds of cable pipes for present and future upgrades (no false-walls for us... and Canadian Shield and limestone make basement's tricky).

I may have created a monster...{snip}.....With all the talk of the remastered White Album, I listened to it today via Tidal......{snip}.....Mind Blown. On the first notes of Back In The USSR. The rest of the album is just as fabulous......{snip}.....So I just handed the HE400's plugged into the Schiit stack to my wife with While My Guitar Gently Weeps......{snip}......Now she's listening to the whole album......{snip}......I know this is going to end well. Just not the way I thought.....{snip}.....BTW, to whoever suggested planar headphones, Thank You. While the HE400 is only entry level, they sound amazing with my Schiit stack. Time to start saving for upgrades. Sigh. My poor wallet may never recover.
Nice!
You definitely want to match equipment with the capabilities of your cable when possible. I have heard of home routers that recommend higher than cat 6.

@Paladin79 ... your post reminded me of a 'how to geek' article about different grades of CAT cable. December, 2006 article (link's here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back