Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #41,641 of 149,152
I was looking here at the 23 hour mark and thought I'd wait until 24 hours had passed before commenting on it, you beat me to it :angry:
... and now there have been a bunch of posts (I didn't realise that when I started this :confounded:)

but it was only 23 hours 39 minutes when you posted

Hehe, I refreshed a couple times thinking maybe I had been offline, checked to see if the thread was locked again etc... and had actually though about waiting until 24 hours had passed, but figured I'd get busy and forget, so I went ahead and posted...

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #41,643 of 149,152
And how much they will sell for on eBay.

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #41,645 of 149,152
... Consider this a test run for some pranks...er, I mean, "marketing," that we may try at larger shows.

The best description of "marketing" I've seen in awhile!
Are y'all safe from the fires, Jason? We have been worried for your safety.

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #41,646 of 149,152
L3oSq1h.gif
And, with 600ma heater current vs 400ma for the stock tube, a little overloading.

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #41,649 of 149,152
I'll see if I can get you a longer update today.

The short version is: lots of detail engineering, mostly boring stuff, hence not a lot to talk about. The exciting stuff is still too pie-in-the-sky to even mention (as in, it may not even retain a shade of our original idea, we may be totally off-base.)

A few more interesting things:

1. Mike and Tony and I are going for the final meeting at the die cast company for Sol. Everything else is done and in-house, or ordered and on the way, so this thing is going to be real. Finally. Yes, I know. And just so that you know, complain to Mike and Tony about any delays. I've said more than once that I'm the lazy streaming digital guy, I probably won't even own a Sol. Too much nervosa.

2. We are sponsoring Pocock Brewery's 3rd Anniversary bash...by paying for the porta-potties. Which get our signage. And Schiit Happened toilet paper. This is the brewery you can walk to across the parking lot from Schiit.

3. In case you haven't seen our new advertising, we're moving away from the "Obsolete" messaging, and back to some fun stuff. Here's a sample:

The detailed engineering stuff is music to my ears---I love it! Should have never retired 12 years ago-----I really miss it!

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #41,651 of 149,152
That ad is awesome. Have you ever thought of making a page on your website that has hi res ad images available for download? I could see some fans downloading ads for various usage. Posters, screen background, etc.

On a qobuz related post, I think Tidal is really worried about them. Tidal just offered me a second month long free trial.

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #41,652 of 149,152
On a qobuz related post, I think Tidal is really worried about them. Tidal just offered me a second month long free trial.

Just got my invite, too. I suspect the invite is due to me being a previous Tidal subscriber more than they're worried about me being a new Qobuz subsciber.

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #41,654 of 149,152
The detailed engineering stuff is music to my ears---I love it! Should have never retired 12 years ago-----I really miss it!

Yeah, but it doesn't usually amount to very scintillating stuff.

There's a lot of back and forth going on between me, Mike, and Dave as we finalize some mechanical and electrical designs that will serve as a foundation for a whole range of stuff. Both the mechanical and electrical side are at a much higher level of complexity than what we did when we started the company, and there's no room for "close enough."

An example of the super-exciting things we're doing right now is tweaking the size of a bracket (yes, snore) that will be used on several products. Despite doing mockups, I still boned some of the assumptions enough that the bracket needed to change to fit around some components in some applications. So the 6-hour bracket build on the 3D printer done last night was junk, and I needed to change the mockup, change the 3D model, and run some more brackets, that are running right now.

Not chapter-worthy, but worth getting right. By changing some fairly small things, we can determine whether or not a whole lot of future plans are affordable, easy to build, and efficient...or the opposite.

I should have mentioned Qobuz before. We got some invites at the last show, and we have been using it in the Schiitr and personally for about a month now.

Here's the basic idea: DROP TIDAL LIKE A NUCLEAR POTATO AND GET QOBUZ NOW!

Qobuz sounds better. Qobuz has quite a decent selection of 24/44 and higher FLAC content. Qobuz embraces open technology, not cryptic black-box lock-it-up schemes. Yes, the UI is even stranger than Tidal, and it doesn't have a dark mode for people who care about such things, but seriously, it took me like 10 seconds to decide to drop Tidal.

Maybe some longer blathering tomorrow...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back