1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. bagwell359
    I used facebook for 3 days close to when it started. After having my brother in law send me pics of his meals and some friend of a friend was trying to friend me - that was enough for me

Paladin79 and FLTWS like this.
  2. bagwell359

My daily:
    Tanzania Peaberry Coffee
    Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Coffee
    Kenya AA Coffee

Equal parts blend mostly, sometimes separately.[/QUOTE]

Love Yirgy (my wife's knickname). I buy beans from Burman's and cook 'em on my heavily modified pop corn popper. Really helps the freshness factor to have freshly cooked beans of about 36-96 hours old.

r2muchstuff likes this.
  3. ScubaMan2017
    Yeesh... replaceable...or, Is it still in warranty?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  4. bagwell359
    Wow... only 3-4 times have I seen a sky that dark and clear. So nice. Thanks for sharing.

golfbravobravo likes this.
  5. FrivolsListener
    Replaceable. Out of warranty. Just annoying, and relatively expensive.

6. riffrafff
    Agreed. :thumbsup:

I typically buy green beans from Sweet Maria's and run them through my modified air popper.

7. valiant66
    That box at $725 includes a license for Dirac Live which costs $500 on its own (if I recall correctly). Without the software the box would be a lot cheaper - I think REW runs on it.

EDIT: OK. That doesn't address the fundamental "thing".

Do you stay analogue or do you go digital?

A bit of a silly question when you're starting with "bits is bits" I know, but we're making our best effort (multibit) to get digital to sound as analogue as possible. The choice becomes: after that do we keep everything analogue or do we re-digitize everything, reprocess everything, and now there's no original signal left? If we're taking our analogue signal and messing with it in the digital domain, why bother with all the fuss of going for an expensive DAC in the first place? Why try preserving the original signal as it was encoded?

These are questions each of us have to address. There are a lot of highly respected DACs that take the incoming signal and upsample it, totally destroying the original signal in the process. That's one of the selling points Schiit makes with multibit - their system preserves the original signal.

Having preserved it, do we then destroy it for the convenience of equalization? Or crossover? Or whatever?

EDIT 2: Disclaimer: I fall on the side of "do the least harm" - I'd rather not add extra processing if I can avoid it. For instance I've been fascinated by Seigfried Linkwitz's LXmini speaker design - one of the things holding me back is that it uses a miniDSP as a crossover for the drivers.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    CAPT Deadpool and the finisher like this.
  8. the finisher
    Yup I hear you. It's a conundrum. I am on both sides here. With my WS setup, I'll be running everything through a DAW anyway.
    So, you still have original bits but they can now be messed with or not.

But in my HiFi 2 channel I aim to keep it as simple as possible and only DSP the subwoofers.
    Which really need it the most anyway, then keep the full range signal to the main L&R pure.

9. winders
    Yet there are plenty of us, including Jason I think, that would much prefer to do EQ in the analog domain. So far in my experience, I have never, and I mean NEVER, had digital EQ sound as good as analog EQ.

10. the finisher
    I generally just don't EQ, except for Sonarworks for the headphones, not speakers.
    And DSP on subwoofers is just so good, unsure how else you would do such a complicated EQ otherwise.
    It is a night and day difference for me. I'd get rid of the subs without it.

I suppose something like these at 5k/6k would work well, is Schiit going to offer an affordable version of something like this?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPMaster--manley-massive-passive-mastering-version

[​IMG]

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CurveBender--chandler-limited-tg12345-curve-bender

[​IMG]

Here is a lower priced one, man these balanced analog EQs are huge money!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BAXEQ--dangerous-music-bax-eq

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    yonson and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  11. Rowethren
    I use a Minidsp DDRC-22D and I can tell you it is a fantastic piece of kit. Complete removed any room issues I was having and really brought the sound to life. To top it all of it allowed me to tweak my system and make it sound exactly how I wanted it. I most certainly wouldn't be removing it from my chain unless I move into a new house with some kind of non existent perfect audio room...

12. the finisher
    Yes I believe this is a contentious issue, hence I'm on the fence.

I'll just have to try myself.

Rowethren likes this.
  13. the finisher
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  14. bosiemoncrieff
    I’m working on an essay titled delete Facebook.

RCBinTN, motberg, sam6550a and 5 others like this.
  15. FLTWS
    Not since I was a kid.

the finisher and Paladin79 like this.