Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 3, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #36,061 of 149,245
IMG_0023.jpg So much for international beer day, this arrived by UPS first thing this morn. A thank you from a gentleman on this thread who has a lot of class and style. The container just happens to be the perfect size for a Schiit Coaster amp. The bottle is a bit small for a coaster which will allow me to savor the scotch longer, so that is a good thing. Note the deep color instilled by doublewood aging from whisky and sherry casks.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #36,063 of 149,245
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #36,064 of 149,245
'm actually interested in using the RPi for an endpoint or a streamer, so I don't think it necessarily holds quality back. I just need to get off my lazy butt and start putting one together. I don't think this would ever end up being a commercial product from us (a fancy Pi streamer), but I'm always interested in what's happening on the bleeding edge.

There is some really good info out there on the Raspberry Pi and audio. This in conjunction with some cabinet building and other DIY audio projects should be fun.

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #36,065 of 149,245
Non-engineer here, got all kinds a blue-sky "wouldn't it be neat" stuff I think about all the time. Realizing anything is not possible and we don't know if this amp will "go, all, the, way" to product....
Today's thought; is there a way to let a user of this design to know when the amp is leaving Class A for Class A/B?
A bright white LED or something?
Part of me loves this idea, and another part is terrified at what an OCD rabbit-hole it could be.

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #36,066 of 149,245
I'm not sure why such fascination with Class A operation to the point of wanting an LED indicating it. If it sounds good who cares? But I suppose this would appeal to the same sorts who like VU meters on amps. I just never saw the point. A VU meter is important when recording or mixing, but not for home audio playback...

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #36,067 of 149,245
I'm not sure why such fascination with Class A operation to the point of wanting an LED indicating it. If it sounds good who cares? But I suppose this would appeal to the same sorts who like VU meters on amps. I just never saw the point. A VU meter is important when recording or mixing, but not for home audio playback...

VU meters might not be important for playback, but there are lots of unimportant things that are fun. I sometimes turn my reel-to-reel on and set it to monitor the input so I can watch the VU meters move with the music.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #36,068 of 149,245
VU meters might not be important for playback, but there are lots of unimportant things that are fun. I sometimes turn my reel-to-reel on and set it to monitor the input so I can watch the VU meters move with the music.
I'm all for fun, and if that's your idea of fun then go for it! There are plenty of solutions already on the market, just like you describe. (And by the way, the reason an open reel machine has VU meters is for setting recording levels, as I'm sure you know.) :)

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #36,069 of 149,245
I'm all for fun, and if that's your idea of fun then go for it! There are plenty of solutions already on the market, just like you describe. (And by the way, the reason an open reel machine has VU meters is for setting recording levels, as I'm sure you know.) :)

Yeah, and I want to record a few tapes but need to poke around it a bit more. When I tried a few weeks ago (which admittedly is probably the first time it has been used to record in three decades), it did not work. Maybe that will be my project this weekend.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #36,070 of 149,245

These days, the mere fact this operation mode has the reserved/monopolized letter "A" Class A, is the shallow reason that it -- it must be best -- i say, more like Class ES "Energy Suck" or Class H "Heat" may more appropriate with what we know now. Still, some Class H amps are amazing and best!
Please squint a bit reading this, think you guys know what I'm trying to say, there are superb class A amps out there, but... :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #36,071 of 149,245

Side issue: I had no idea analog movements had gone so far up in price. I was trying to get a 0-100 microammeter movement and couldn't find one for less than $150. A trip to a surplus store (last one in my area) found a new-old stock one for $10. And this wasn't for some high precision project. It was for screwing around with.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #36,072 of 149,245

Audio Nervosa. They're convinced that they can hear that zero-crossing happening, even if it's biased away from zero.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #36,073 of 149,245
Audio Nervosa. They're convinced that they can hear that zero-crossing happening, even if it's biased away from zero.
If they hang Brilliant Pebbles from their earlobes they can hear it even better, I've heard.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #36,074 of 149,245
Yeah, and I want to record a few tapes but need to poke around it a bit more. When I tried a few weeks ago (which admittedly is probably the first time it has been used to record in three decades), it did not work. Maybe that will be my project this weekend.
Get the heads cleaned and aligned and it's also a good idea to have the servo speed checked and adjusted.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #36,075 of 149,245
I guess academic curiosity counts for nothing.

If there is no difference to hear why bother with Class A at all, stick to A/B and be done more cheaply.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back