1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Fingers are highly overrated.
    They heal in and of themselves.
    Hardware doesn't

2. shultzee

Wow thats quite a B stock list.

ScubaMan2017 and the finisher like this.
  3. judson_w
    Debating between B-Stock Fulla 2 and just coughing up the extra $20 for a regular one.

4. Ableza
    :) I like that story. Ed has a magic finger.

In my world simulations provide at best a good starting point, but no human with a sub-Cray-level computer can include every variable in the physical world. So when the Sr. Vice President with his MBA in International Finance sees a concept presentation including the results of a simulation and immediately instructs the sales team to go find a customer, and they sell it with a 4-week delivery promise but the actual design is at Rev E1 and nothing has even been proto'd yet... well it sometime gets tough for middle-management types like me to keep the project engineer from being fired for work place violence. And that is why I really never wanted to work for a large corporation and envy the business model you've created...

artur9, earnmyturns, sam6550a and 5 others like this.
  5. Amy D
    I know !!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  6. mtkupp
    And then there are those of us into both audio and bicycles. I should have been born rich :)

kehorton likes this.
  7. Jason Stoddard
    Bolded the part that made my hair stand on end.

(Now, yeah, I could be accused of "selling" things that doesn't exist yet, so there you go. But I do try to say "this may never come to pass.")

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  8. the finisher
    I think this is a good thing, it keeps us schiitheads in anticipation of great things to come.
    So far that's paid off, and waiting for stuff keeps me from overspending.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  9. Ableza
    The worst such story like that I was ever involved with was when I was at Raychem in the 80's. We were creating heat-shrinkable metal (some NiTi alloys have that property) and we had a contract from the Air Force for a mechanism that used it. Their specs were very different from what we had in the standard repertoire so a team of materials scientists set to work, and after a couple months of experimentation they had a sample that my testing showed met the spec. Eureka, we thought, and the management team informed the Pentagon we had cracked the nut, and they placed a very large order with a very short cycle delivery time. Problem was the next batch using the same formula did not perform the same way. Nor the next. It took another 6 months of trial and error (and differential equations) to figure out why and to get it to work right and by then the application had changed so the military could use a different solution and we had no more use for this alloy (and it was classified by contract so we couldn't have sold it if we wanted to.) A few heads rolled for that one...

10. riffrafff
    Yeah, trust me. Experience counts. (Ya young whippersnappers!)

11. riffrafff
    Fact: the iPhone would have happened much, much sooner if Apple hadn't "Steve'd" the Newton Messenger.

CAPT Deadpool and Paladin79 like this.
  12. riffrafff
    I have two B-stocks. For the life of me, I cannot find any sort of blemish at all.

13. RCBinTN
    I worked 40-years in manufacturing and saw hundreds of drive faults reset. There was normally little to no troubleshooting of the root cause.
    If the equipment took off and ran, all is good. I always suspected it was job security for the maintenance technicians.

Oveja Negra likes this.
  14. RCBinTN
    Oh man, that is So True.
    My condolences if you're in the middle of that, especially these days.

15. Paladin79
    riffrafff likes this.