Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 20, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #35,146 of 149,163
Another (Sort of) Jazz Recommendation...

Album: Backatown
Artists: Trombone Shorty (Troy 'Trombone' Shorty, Dwayne 'Big D' Williams, Mike Ballard, Joey Peebles, Pete Murano, and Dan Oestreicher)

It's FRIDAY!!! And to celebrate the most anticipated day of the week, it's time to cut-loose!! Trombone Shorty is a unique blend of Jazz/Funk/Rock and whatever he finds lying around in his music kitchen resulting in what he calls SupaFunkRock. They hail from New Orleans, so they know how to PARTY!! A great great group of musicians delivering powerful and in-your-face fun in their debut album!!

I think you'll enjoy it. If not, have a drink and listen again. If you still don't, loosen up and live a little!! :wink:

Like it and wnat some more? It was a toss-up between this album and his 'For True' album.

Available on Tidal and Spotify.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #35,147 of 149,163
Nelson Pass and the Pass Labs folks are great to work with and are genuine straight-shooters. I've used his products for many years.

Mr. Pass and Mr. Moffatt in a room with Mr. Stoddard "moderating" and serving drinks would be a very fun evening.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #35,148 of 149,163
I read most of that now and I do like a lot of Nelson's answers, if he is not real familiar with something, he says so.

The gentleman who designs pre-amps for Pass Labs is interesting as well, Wayne Colburn.

A lot of their product is expensive yet they try to help folks with simple DIY designs that can be pretty affordable. As much as I like audio I empathize mostly with Rippers quote, " In search of Audio Nirvana on the Cheap." I hope he does not see me agreeing with him on something, there will be hell to pay!

LOL, your right on all accounts.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #35,149 of 149,163
Apparently Ripper is too busy foisting his music choices on others to take notice. My cats are like that, give them a ball of yarn and they are occupied for hours. Usually it involves seeing how many chair legs they can entangle, but at least they are busy. Ok, I have mentioned Ripper and cats, let the games begin!

Speaking of Schiit though, I will most likely receive a Gungnir multibit Monday, it is scheduled to be delivered to my place of business this Saturday but no one will be there. Considering the Freya has five inputs, I may well be able to get rid of one switch box in my system but I may have to build an XLR switcher so I can make use of the balanced output.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #35,150 of 149,163
I have my morning ritual: I get up. Scratch myself. Take a pee. Scratch myself. Make coffee. Scratch myself. Eat a scone (and yes, I washed my hands). Drink my coffee. (Done scratching myself). Do a Tube search on eBay. Buy a Tube or 3. Login to Head-fi. Make my Music recommendation posting, etc. It's a well established process that is time-tested and proven,

Take notice of what?? If you are referring to the slam against my music recommendations -- well, what can I say? My bar for what I consider music may be a bit too high for some. If so, then so be it. We can't all be as cultured and refined as I am. :wink:

(And yes. I do sip my coffee with the pinkie finger extended.)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #35,151 of 149,163
Apparently Ripper is too busy foisting his music choices on others to take notice. My cats are like that, give them a ball of yarn and they are occupied for hours. Usually it involves seeing how many chair legs they can entangle, but at least they are busy. Ok, I have mentioned Ripper and cats, let the games begin!

Speaking of Schiit though, I will most likely receive a Gungnir multibit Monday, it is scheduled to be delivered to my place of business this Saturday but no one will be there.

LOL, I thought about Gungnir MB for my bedroom set-up, but I started with my first pieces of Schiit, MJ2 & Yggy-A, in May 2016, Schiit got me hooked on AES/EBU and balanced operation.
It's Schiit's fault!

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #35,152 of 149,163
LOL, I thought about Gungnir MB for my bedroom set-up, but I started with my first pieces of Schiit, MJ2 & Yggy-A, in May 2016, Schiit got me hooked on AES/EBU and balanced operation.
It's Schiit's fault!

I have two other balanced output DACS but I did not have a Multibit and wanted to try one out. My home system is so complex right now I should keep it in one room. I have an office setup as well and that one changes pretty often. Luckily I keep plenty of connectors and cable in my home shop so I can build quality cables as I change things around.

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #35,154 of 149,163

Speaking of Schiit though, I will most likely receive a Gungnir multibit Monday, it is scheduled to be delivered to my place of business this Saturday but no one will be there. Considering the Freya has five inputs, I may well be able to get rid of one switch box in my system but I may have to build an XLR switcher so I can make use of the balanced output.
I think that you will enjoy the Gumby. Mine is fed with various USB [computer, network server] and SPDIF sources [computer, CD transport], and I have had no interface issues. Balanced output goes to a Freya, which also services some single ended sources, and finally single ended to a number of tube and solid state amps---currently a Kenwood M2 feeding a pair of Infinity 9 Kappas. I am currently running 'new' Tung-Sol 6SN7 tubes, but roll with an assortment of NOS tubes. The Gumby was a great improvement over the 4490 DAC it replaced, in my opinion. Your experiences may vary. Enjoy!

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #35,155 of 149,163
I got the Tung Sol tubes with my Freya as well. I can tell a difference in the Freya inline with one of my current DACS, basically if you add the tube sound somewhere in the chain you should be able to hear it. I like to experiment and switch between devices so I will either buy a quality balanced switch box or build my own. I have some decent Cardas wire I could incorporate into such a device.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #35,156 of 149,163
I've been very pleased with this balanced switchbox I purchased back in January
upload_2018-7-20_14-3-52.png

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #35,157 of 149,163
I've been very pleased with this balanced switchbox I purchased back in January

You got that for a very good price! I know what wholesale is on that piece and you did not pay much over that price. I like Kramer and Gefen as well. I helped a friend get a switch for his four way and I could build one for $60 or less but finding the time is not so easy.

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #35,158 of 149,163
I have my morning ritual: I get up. Scratch myself. Take a pee. Scratch myself. Make coffee. Scratch myself. Eat a scone (and yes, I washed my hands). Drink my coffee. (Done scratching myself). Do a Tube search on eBay. Buy a Tube or 3. Login to Head-fi. Make my Music recommendation posting, etc. It's a well established process that is time-tested and proven,

Take notice of what?? If you are referring to the slam against my music recommendations -- well, what can I say? My bar for what I consider music may be a bit too high for some. If so, then so be it. We can't all be as cultured and refined as I am. :wink:

(And yes. I do sip my coffee with the pinkie finger extended.)

A day in the life of Ripper. We should all live so well!

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #35,159 of 149,163
You got that for a very good price! I know what wholesale is on that piece and you did not pay much over that price. I like Kramer and Gefen as well. I helped a friend get a switch for his four way and I could build one for $60 or less but finding the time is not so easy.

Time is everything, the older I get the more I realize that. In most cases I'm willing to pay for someone else's time and effort so I can use my time to do what I'd rather be doing (or have to do). Plus I believe I get, more often than not, a more polished looking finished product. Aesthetics are a factor with me, and always have been.

Jul 20, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #35,160 of 149,163
As much as I like audio I empathize mostly with Rippers quote, " In search of Audio Nirvana on the Cheap." I hope he does not see me agreeing with him on something, there will be hell to pay!

Obviously the caffeine had not taken full affect and I missed this earlier. No fear. I know it was likely the scotch talking or your attempt at to scoring 'brownie points' in order to keep your daily music recommendation fix going.

Mission Accomplished!! :wink:

(BTW -- you really must wait 'til after the noon hour to start imbibing.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back