Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 14, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #35,011 of 145,633
This shows the metal braid I used around the edge of the board. I suspended it with a cup hook that I screwed into the braid by hand, then I soldered it. The cup hook goes over an aluminum rod inside the headphone rack. With the weight of the board and frame, and cable, it stays perpendicular yet you can rock it forward to remove or install 3.5 mm plugs into input and output. Power comes into the top of the board next to the supporting cup hook. Headphones can stay plugged in, you can use a DAP, switch on the amp, and use headphones without wires tangling. I could have used an eyelet screwed into the top, inside of the rack as well but I used an anodized aluminum rod instead, made by Easton.

Ah, I thought it was laid flat instead of facing out. Thank you for the additional pictures - again, great idea.

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #35,012 of 145,633
Ah, I thought it was laid flat instead of facing out. Thank you for the additional pictures - again, great idea.

No my next build will be flat, this one tilts up to flat so you can plug cables in, or you can unhook it and remove it from the headphone rack. I allowed that braid to stretch and form around an unused board before mounting it on a working board. It is far enough away from any components that nothing can touch it. I may build one with stacked Coaster amps just to see if it can be done. The least expensive build is the 8-ball provided you can get one open. Once I figure something out, I want a new challenge, I get bored easily otherwise.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #35,013 of 145,633
Another Jazz Recommendation...

Album: M.F. Horn Two
Artists: Maynard Ferguson

Well, let's take another stroll down memory lane with a classic from 1972. Maynard Ferguson (or 'Ole Silicone Lips, as I call him) was an incredible trumpet player and an idol of mine, having played much of his music as a teen (I played trumpet in a Jazz Big Band). Bringing a Jazz flair to pop and music of the time, M.F. Horn 2 is a brass-knuckles, power-packed, fasten your seat-belts, trumpet screeching ride!! Critics and others may not consider this his best album, but it is certainly one of my favorites.

* James Taylor's Country Road is my favorite cut!!
** If you like it and want some more, check out 'Primal Scream' and 'M.F. Horn 3'.

Available on Tidal and Spotify.

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #35,015 of 145,633

Well, let's take another stroll down memory lane with a classic from 1972. Maynard Ferguson (or 'Ole Silicone Lips, as I call him) was an incredible trumpet player and an idol of mine, having played much of his music as a teen (I played trumpet in a Jazz Big Band). Bringing a Jazz flair to pop and music of the time, M.F. Horn 2 is a brass-knuckles, power-packed, fasten your seat-belts, trumpet screeching ride!! Critics and others may not consider this his best album, but it is certainly one of my favorites.

** If you like it and want some more, check out 'Primal Scream' and 'M.F. Horn 3'.

My son played jazz trumpet in high school as well but luckily he decided on computer science rather than a career in music. The university he attended has two levels and you had better be exceptional to get into the upper level.

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #35,016 of 145,633
I will have to check out MF Horn 2 - is it anything like Bill Chase? I like early seventies horn jazz/rock fusion.

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #35,018 of 145,633

Maynard was also a huge favorite of mine during my high school days. I played Baritone Sax in my high school Jazz Big Band. I recall being blown away when he and his band were in concert at a local high school in suburban Maryland in the middle 70's. "Hey Jude" was one of their signature pieces and in concert the band would come down off the stage and position themselves all around the auditorium to play. Talk about surround sound...

Jul 15, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #35,019 of 145,633
I was fortunate enough to catch Maynard in concert a couple of times in the 70s. l Also caught a Doc Severinsen concert and a Buddy Rich concert.

The 70s were great era with Jazz greats. I was fortunate to catch a few big idols of mine.

Not big band, but Weather Report with Jaco Pastorius was another memorable one. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #35,020 of 145,633
Will a Modi solve this problem? (Repeat of question asked in Source forum; ok, mods?)

...(snip)...Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, eh. There's some knowledgeable hombres (and senoras? [sp]) lurking here.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #35,021 of 145,633
tumblr_m99z02IeGc1r5md7mo3_500.gif
hlamCVQ.jpg
cat.gif

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #35,022 of 145,633
A502C98A-96E9-40FF-B626-F62592BC4731.gif

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #35,023 of 145,633

Album: A Twist of Rit
Artists: Lee Ritenour (w/ Dave Gruisin, Dave Weckl, Ernie Watts and Jonh Beasley)

If you love the sultry tones of electric guitar supported by a renowned cast of Jazz musicians, then you've hit the mother-lode. A very well recorded studio effort by a legend in Jazz, bringing new life to some of his past work and introducing a few new works to boot. I think you'll like this one.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #35,024 of 145,633
Later this week I hope to post photos of a Coaster vessel that will be very suitable for those just using the boards as coasters, as well as being a novel way to house the amplifier versions. It will probably require several photos to show the entire effect so most likely I will just post a link to the coaster thread when this happens. Anyone should be able to accomplish the housing in a few simple steps.

Jul 16, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #35,025 of 145,633

Users who are viewing this thread

Back