Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #32,416 of 148,581
You sure about the floating chassis on Freya? Like DVM sure?
Yes, measured with Fluke 179. Physical examination shows no connection to the IEC connector ground pin. This is not unusual, many preamps and amps use a IEC connector with only 2 pins. Not connecting the ground pin means Schiit needs to stock only one type of IEC connector.

May 5, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #32,417 of 148,581
3988905.jpg

And maybe move along...

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #32,418 of 148,581
May 5, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #32,419 of 148,581
@Paladin79, or Tom as I know him, is one of the nicest dudes I've had the pleasure of meeting and I've never had the slightest inkling of dishonesty from him. He has invited me to his house several times and gave me food and tasty beer, not to mention help with cables and electronics, so he's really great in my book.

I saw the post in question last night. I was in disbelief for about 5 seconds before I realized that this is the internet and people do seemingly insane stuff all the time. I reported it for harassment because clearly it was completely out of line, and then I slammed my beer and went to bed before I could post something I might regret.

Anyway, thanks Tom for all that you do.

May 5, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #32,420 of 148,581
Frank, I feel safe in working with you on electronics at any time. Sometimes things just get too weird for words lol.

May 5, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #32,421 of 148,581
I just received a Lyr 2, kindly sold to me by Bageljoe, this has more of the tube amp sound I was missing in my Valhalla 2. Great sound, it compares well to some highly modified tube amps in my possession, not their match but a tube amp I can use outdoors. Listening to some old songs by Nick Lowe. It will be fun to swap a few tubes, and check it out further.
If you haven’t seen them yet, there are some great videos of him with Los Straightjackets from this past tour on YouTube especially if you’re an Eddie Angel fan as well.

May 5, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #32,422 of 148,581
I may try to check that out, thanks. There are certain songs I prefer with tube amps and many are by Nick Lowe.

May 5, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #32,423 of 148,581
Back to Schiit'y stuff after the recent kerfuffle: this Lyr 3 (still with new Tung-Sol while I wait for an incoming Ken Rad VT-231) is winning the badge as my most engaging piece of audio gear since I got the Yggy ages ago. The synergy between the Holo Spring DAC in NOS mode, the Lyr 3, and the MrSpeakers Ether C Flows is unreal. Listening to a new Chandos solo piano issue of Federico Colli playing Scarlatti sonatas, wonderful dynamics and staging, as if the piano was right here!

May 5, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #32,424 of 148,581
Want to hear how it is working for you. I am considering a pair of Maggie 1.7s as well.
They just arrived last night. Started some listening this morning. Since I don’t have another balanced preamp yet, I’m using Jotunheim to feed the 2 Vidars driving the 1.7i pair.

Started off listening to the same Dire Straits Brothers in Arms CD I listened to at the dealer where they were using an Ayre amp. I had the Jot pot at ~3 o’clock for pretty much the whole album and when using an IR thermometer to measure the Vidar, it hit ~109 F on the top panel and 115 in the side fins.
Then I played Tool Lateralus at a 2 o’clock (that CD has higher volume though) and measured up to 116 on top and 125 in the fins. Pretty much equivalent temperature L and R.

No thermal shutdown yet. Not sure how hot the surface would be expected to be before shutdown

Oh yeah and the sound is amazing. Just have to figure out how to make it easy to position speakers for critical listening vs moving them out of the way a bit

May 5, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #32,425 of 148,581
They just arrived last night. Started some listening this morning. Since I don’t have another balanced preamp yet, I’m using Jotunheim to feed the 2 Vidars driving the 1.7i pair.

Started off listening to the same Dire Straits Brothers in Arms CD I listened to at the dealer where they were using an Ayre amp. I had the Jot pot at ~3 o’clock for pretty much the whole album and when using an IR thermometer to measure the Vidar, it hit ~109 F on the top panel and 115 in the side fins.
Then I played Tool Lateralus at a 2 o’clock (that CD has higher volume though) and measured up to 116 on top and 125 in the fins. Pretty much equivalent temperature L and R.

No thermal shutdown yet. Not sure how hot the surface would be expected to be before shutdown

Oh yeah and the sound is amazing. Just have to figure out how to make it easy to position speakers for critical listening vs moving them out of the way a bit

Very good. 125 degrees at the fins just means some nice good class A bias doing its work. I am going to audition the 1.7i at a local dealer when my Dad is in town later this month. Looking forward to it.

May 5, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #32,426 of 148,581

Thermal shutdown is at 85 degrees C, pretty much the same I've used since the Sumo days.

However, the tips of the fins will be a good bit less than that--the sensors are near the outputs, low on the heat sink.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 5, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #32,428 of 148,581
huntersthompson1-2x.jpg
Not so fast! How do we know that you are not in on this little charade. There's only one way to clear this up and verify Paladin79's claims. He should send me an amp with tracking number and I will confirm via tracking info and the time it takes to arrive in Texas. Time to put a fancy schmancy tube amp where ones mouth is! In other words, amp-up or shut-up!!

(The one in the pics will do nicely. PM me for shipping info. I'm not kidding. No really. Yes, I am serious.) :L3000:

Hmmm my choices are paying the shipping on an amp that is incredibly heavy or just moving to Rome and pretending I am 38, (I may well have navel lint older than that), decisions, decisions.

You would not want the amp, it is ugly according to he who shall remain nameless. I did send a cable to Pietro and it is in between Amsterdam and Delft. Will that do?

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #32,429 of 148,581
Hmmm my choices are paying the shipping on an amp that is incredibly heavy or just moving to Rome and pretending I am 38, (I may well have navel lint older than that), decisions, decisions.

You would not want the amp, it is ugly according to he who shall remain nameless. I did send a cable to Pietro and it is in between Amsterdam and Delft. Will that do?

Excuses. Excuses. OK -- I'll play your little game. How about we make it a 1.5m single-ended HP cable for the HD650. That should reduce the shipping cost from Indiana (Or is it Italy?) and finally put this to rest! :L3000:

BTW -- If that amp is ugly, well then slap me and call me Mama!! :D

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #32,430 of 148,581
I do happen to have connectors for the HD 650 but when you say single ended, do you mean 3.5 mm or 1/4 inch TRS? Would a nice braided cable in say red and black put this to rest for you? Four wire braid, In case you want to go balanced one day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back