Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #30,346 of 149,167
Going way out on a limb and looking for something totally out of left field...

A tube-based phono stage / pre-amp to compliment the upcoming SOL turntable ... :wink:

I sure hope so. I am in the market for a Mani upgrade and would love to see an offering from Schiit. I would personally like to see a phono preamp the same size as the Freya that could be tubed or solid state with LISST. Would want it to be neutral and transparent kind of like what we see with Valhalla or MJ2.

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #30,347 of 149,167
That is not schiit financing them then, which is what i read was proposed, also that is not by any stretch how all retail financing works either.

I said it would be nice for Schiit to offer in store financing, a la my Lowe's or menards card. In the case of menards, their bank is capital one. I bought a steel roof from Menards and financed a third of it through my menards card. 48 mo at 3.99 percent financing. All of my payments went to cap one. Example I owed cap one 3k, but they only paid menards 2900 for my 3k in debt (all examples). This is why I offered to pay a surcharge on my hypothetical Schiit purchase. But again I know it's all wishful thinking. I do admit I am surprised at some of the strong comments, but it's the internet so I probably shouldn't be.

Thanks to all who have discussed it at length. We could probably put this topic to bed. It's not as interesting as whisky, cats, coffee, pens, or Schiit.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #30,349 of 149,167
0DD17D9B-00B9-4857-8A67-2B1643DD54FF.jpeg

QA technician on their production line before the BIG reveal?

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #30,351 of 149,167
AA8CFFA2-0482-4AF9-B36F-6B5B91655BEF.jpeg
Yes! And here's the tech declaring the product ready to ship:

....and this is the same set of technicians about to deal with the first RMA ticket for whatever Schiit releases this week...

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #30,352 of 149,167
I said it would be nice for Schiit to offer in store financing, a la my Lowe's or menards card. In the case of menards, their bank is capital one. I bought a steel roof from Menards and financed a third of it through my menards card. 48 mo at 3.99 percent financing. All of my payments went to cap one. Example I owed cap one 3k, but they only paid menards 2900 for my 3k in debt (all examples). This is why I offered to pay a surcharge on my hypothetical Schiit purchase. But again I know it's all wishful thinking. I do admit I am surprised at some of the strong comments, but it's the internet so I probably shouldn't be.

Thanks to all who have discussed it at length. We could probably put this topic to bed. It's not as interesting as whisky, cats, coffee, pens, or Schiit.

We've been solicited by companies who could make financing an easy option for buyers (like Affirm.) It wouldn't expose us to any risk. I'm sure it would cost us some percentage, but we haven't engaged with the potential financing companies enough to know how much.

So, if we have some relatively easy and turn-key options to offer financing, why aren't we interested?

In short, one word: philosophy.

Or maybe two words: philosophy and cussedness.

Because, you see, I'm a bit uncomfortable in providing an option that makes it easier for our customers to get into debt. I don't think holding debt is a good thing, and I don't really want to encourage it. Especially not for audio gear. If our customers want to get into debt, there are tons of credit cards out there that would be more than happy to help. But Schiit didn't dangle the card in front of their face. Schiit didn't help them go into debt, or go deeper into debt.

Crazy? Old-fashioned? Possibly. But I sleep better at night.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #30,353 of 149,167
We've been solicited by companies who could make financing an easy option for buyers (like Affirm.) It wouldn't expose us to any risk. I'm sure it would cost us some percentage, but we haven't engaged with the potential financing companies enough to know how much.

So, if we have some relatively easy and turn-key options to offer financing, why aren't we interested?

Because, you see, I'm a bit uncomfortable in providing an option that makes it easier for our customers to get into debt. I don't think holding debt is a good thing, and I don't really want to encourage it. Especially not for audio gear. If our customers want to get into debt, there are tons of credit cards out there that would be more than happy to help. But Schiit didn't dangle the card in front of their face. Schiit didn't help them go into debt, or go deeper into debt.

I KNEW I liked you!

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #30,354 of 149,167
....and this is the same set of technicians about to deal with the first RMA ticket for whatever Schiit releases this week...

No worries. Eventually all the ladies will be singing.

And debt-free.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #30,355 of 149,167

Thanks for the reply, I knew my wish was a pipedream for the reasons you just stated.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #30,356 of 149,167

I regret that I can only "Like" your post once!

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #30,357 of 149,167
And the very worst of financing is that it is inherently inflationary and causes untimely demand. How many folks buy cars thinking oh, it is only $xxx.xx per month. Fits right into your budget, and allows the dealer to ramp down discounts and add unwanted accessories. Trouble is, the $xxx.xx per month is now getting up to 84 months. You really want to keep your car 7 years? Warps the market for buyers and sellers. Credit card companies can allow the user years and years to give them $10,000 or more for an Yggy at up to 30% interest. Really? The only advantage is that it makes the buyer subject to living beyond his means. Real estate is another example. What we do not realize here is that much of the world has no mortgages which tends to hold the price quite low. In the case of New Zealand or Argentina, it can be less than half. Besides all of that, we are schitty bankers with no experience. Financing, bad for buyers, bad for us. Naaah, we won’t be doing it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #30,358 of 149,167

Bravo Jason and Mike.

Like I said earlier about this, credit does have its place (home, car, education, starting a new cannabis growing business round these parts in a few months :beyersmile:) but not this.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #30,359 of 149,167

It's that German heritage of yours (most people there use cash to pay for things, or maybe a debit card. Many don't even have a credit card).

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #30,360 of 149,167

And the very worst of financing is that it is inherently inflationary and causes untimely demand. How many folks buy cars thinking oh, it is only $xxx.xx per month. Fits right into your budget, and allows the dealer to ramp down discounts and add unwanted accessories. Trouble is, the $xxx.xx per month is now getting up to 84 months. You really want to keep your car 7 years? Warps the market for buyers and sellers. Credit card companies can allow the user years and years to give them $10,000 or more for an Yggy at up to 30% interest. Really? The only advantage is that it makes the buyer subject to living beyond his means. Real estate is another example. What we do not realize here is that much of the world has no mortgages which tends to hold the price quite low. In the case of New Zealand or Argentina, it can be less than half. Besides all of that, we are schitty bankers with no experience. Financing, bad for buyers, bad for us. Naaah, we won’t be doing it.
I said my piece about credit card companies a few pages back.

Let me add I would gladly, happily, send you guys a check for your Schiit, for the asking amount, you can keep the extra 3.73998% just on principle to help keep it out of the hands of the credit card companies (banks)!!!

Just sayin'.

Don't pay them a penny! (If possible) Ooops here I go again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back