Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 5, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #2,971 of 148,516
It's like old muscle cars, people have a thing for them, but the truth is that a modern Civic Si will probably blow its doors off, especially if there are any corners involved, and is three times as efficient. 

If a Honda Civic gets your juices flowing more than a 69' Z/28, I think that may explain where you are coming from more than any other comment you made.

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #2,972 of 148,516
As someone who has owned vintage cars, they are definitely inferior to modern siblings and objectively inferior. They are more for nostalgia and prestige since rarely do older cars measure up to newer versions. A 2015 factory Supersnake off the lot will smoke any and all previous factory Mustangs.

If newer stuff was objectively inferior, I would go back to vinyl.

It's more nostalgia than anything else and even Schiit knows that.

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #2,973 of 148,516
We are not electronic instruments. We don't hear music, we feel it, it is meaningful to our very soul, at least for me it is and that is why I listen. I am into audio gear because I like things to sound good. But, nothing can ever replace the emotional connection I have with the music. I know that probably makes me a rare bird on this forum, and that is ok. But you can no more tell me what sounds better to me than I can tell you what is enjoyable to you. That is the reason I don't really do much posting here, everyone is convinced they know what sounds better, but you have no way of knowing how I hear things, so it is pointless.

P.S. A Supersnake is a third party modified Mustang that runs upwards of $100,000.00, Give me the same budget and a 68 Mustang and I promise it will be one heck of a race. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #2,974 of 148,516
I wouldn't mind vinyl so much if it didn't incur annoying artifacts in the audio and require me to flip a disk 20 minutes in. It doesn't help I have never heard a vinyl setup that I thought "that sounds better than my headphones, oh its only 3000? That's a steal." I exclusively listen to albums and can't stand shuffle anymore, but in no way do I "get" analog.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #2,975 of 148,516
Thats what vintage car owners have, an emotional attachment. We drive them for prestige and the feeling but never pretend

we are superior to modern cars. A modern 35k Ford Falcon XR6 in Australia beats an air cooled 1980s 911 Clubsport.

BTW when you finish spending 100k on a 65 Mustang to rival a Supersnake, it wont feel or drive ANYTHING

like a 65 Mustang, defeating the whole purpose and I can say that with confidence having driven a fastback

owned by a banker that was later modified to madness in Melbourne. 600hp at the wheels and

shaking so much it would rattle your teeth off. There was a Sting Ray too to give the Mustang company.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #2,976 of 148,516
Emotion is my point. That and the fact that no one can hear what "I" hear. So the argument of better or worse has no merit. For instance some people are annoyed by the piercing highs of some digital recordings, or the compressed to the max sound of some recordings. You just can't tell someone that something they hear is better or worse than something else. You have no way of approximating their hearing!!

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #2,977 of 148,516
  Thats what vintage car owners have, an emotional attachment. We drive them for prestige and the feeling but never pretend
we are superior to modern cars. A modern 35k Ford Falcon XR6 in Australia beats an air cooled 1980s 911 Clubsport.

-Amen. My luddite credentials include vinyl (not better, but more fun!), mechanical watches, analog cameras (135 via 6*9 to 4*5) and a 1964 series IIa Land Rover; none of them (with the possible exception of the cameras, and then only if you measure certain properties and ignore the rest) can lay claim to be superior to their contemporary counterparts on any objective criteria.

Emotionally, on the other hand, and for what I would call 'fun factor' there's no doubt in this luddite's mind that it is more enjoyable to glance at my wrist to find a small machine with cogs and pinions and springs and whatnot working tirelessly to tell me what time it is than to just look at my cell phone's home screen, to give but one example.

Other people's mileage is quite likely to vary, though.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #2,978 of 148,516
I have been to many recording studios is my relatively short career thus far all over Australia.
The number of DSD ADCs I have seen are less than the number of thumbs I have. And I lost half one in an accident.
The studio manager also called it a b****y waste of money and he'd rip the sales rep a new one if he saw him at a trade show again.
He said that all the studio operators laughed at him when he brought it in.

Unless you're doing a strictly binaural recording where what you hear is exactly what you want, DSD is not for recording.
But for recording takes, every engineer knows to record each channel direct-out post pre-amp first and foremost.
Studio real-time mixdowns are rarely ever used, unless the operator is a cocky/lazy a**hole, except for comparison purposes.
All the good compressors, effects, reverbs, mastering, etc. are applied in following sessions and made for PCM.

I don't know if you've ever heard live raw recordings, but let me assure you, they sound dull, lifeless and awkward unless the recording engineer is a magician.

A studio that records with and works with DSD has too much time on their hands to even try work with DSD. A studio with too much time on their hands is not a good studio.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #2,979 of 148,516

If a Honda Civic gets your juices flowing more than a 69' Z/28, I think that may explain where you are coming from more than any other comment you made.

I don't recall mentioning "juices" of any kind, and if I understand at all what you mean by it, there is no car that can make me "juicy," a car is like a washing machine, merely a way to get from point a to point b. Now a well-written song? That can get me a little "juicy." And ultimately, that impact is not dependent upon the equipment its played on, or some objective or subjective sound "quality." Its the song, man. If we can make it sound better to the listener all the better (that's why we're here after all) but for me the emotional impact comes from the song and the artist's performance of it, and an improvement in SQ can only have an incremental effect on it's emotional impact. I think this is why SQ is not the be all/end all for most people; once you have the music itself, SQ is just gravy.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #2,980 of 148,516
I don't recall mentioning "juices" of any kind, and if I understand at all what you mean by it, there is no car that can make me "juicy," a car is like a washing machine, merely a way to get from point a to point b. Now a well-written song? That can get me a little "juicy." And ultimately, that impact is not dependent upon the equipment its played on, or some objective or subjective sound "quality." Its the song, man. If we can make it sound better to the listener all the better (that's why we're here after all) but for me the emotional impact comes from the song and the artist's performance of it, and an improvement in SQ can only have an incremental effect on it's emotional impact. I think this is why SQ is not the be all/end all for most people; once you have the music itself, SQ is just gravy.

Its not the way to go from point A to B. It is the point.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,985 of 148,516
Its not the way to go from point A to B. It is the point.

For some...

It's the same as,audio, which is what I was trying to say.

^^^ Agreed.

I guess maybe I'm just not too swift, but this exchange makes no sense at all to me. What is the point, the way to go between A and B? Are you trying to say that it's not the destination, but the journey that matters? If so, and you're saying that is the case with audio, I absolutely disagree. If that's not what you mean, then I can't agree or disagree, 'cause I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back