Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #29,506 of 149,163
Feb 28, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #29,507 of 149,163
Feb 28, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #29,509 of 149,163
A rather unique store in this world indeed.
I bought my Dupont set there and always go back for special super-black Italian ink for the fountain pen.
Aurora, Visconti, !ontegrappa, Stipula, Delta, Marlen o Signum ink? I love the Akkerman bottles, myself.

It will b interesting to see if/when/where we get a the EuroSchiitr (esp given I live pretty close tonthe current one!)

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #29,510 of 149,163
I wish Saga had a built in Sys. Those two out puts ought to be at least manually selectable between left, both, right. I want one to get a single feed from Mimby, but be able to feed a Vidar and a Magni 3 or Asgard 2 or Jot, etc. IIRC Jason said somewhere that 70 percent (or so) of Schiits web traffic comes from people in the 18-34 demographic. I'm 34 and want to be able to use Saga/vidar/Magni 3 with all my gear. Xbox,vinyl,Streamer,Tv, etc. I can't be the only one who wants Saga to have a smidgen more flexibility. If I am misunderstanding something about the way Saga works I would love to be better educated.

Hi Rensek, I actually use a Saga in conjunction with a Sys and am quite happy with the results. In my case, so far I only use two of the inputs on the Saga (a DAC and a turntable through a phono preamp) and I use the outputs to drive a speaker system in our living room and another one in our kitchen (each of which are driven by a power amp). The speakers in our kitchen are more sensitive and the room is smaller, so I have a Sys in line between the Saga and the power amp that drives the kitchen speakers so that we can further attenuate the signal going to the kitchen speakers so that the volume in the kitchen can better match the volume in the living room or play more quietly in the kitchen when that's called for.

Controlling where the music is playing is easy, in that I simply turn on the power amp for the room I want music to play in and turn it off for the room I don't want it in (or leave both power amps on if I want music playing in both spaces.) And, though the Sys might degrade the signal a smigeon to the kitchen system, I really can't tell as the speakers are different from the living room ones and I don't really do critical listening in the kitchen (but do really like what I hear while working/cooking in there).

If wishes were fishes, I'd love a third output from the Saga to also run a headphone amp, but that can be accomplished with an RCA splitter (which I'd connect to the same output as the kitchen amp as that's the less critical one).

As it is, I am quite pleased with the Saga and the Sys and thing that they are both fantastic values for what I paid for them (some of the few components in our home stereo system that I've bought new). The Saga adds just that small additional sense of space and dimensionality to the music without being over the top and the Sys makes balancing the volume between our two listening spaces easy and straightforward.

I hope that helps!

--Nedifer

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #29,511 of 149,163
Aurora, Visconti, !ontegrappa, Stipula, Delta, Marlen o Signum ink? I love the Akkerman bottles, myself.

It will b interesting to see if/when/where we get a the EuroSchiitr (esp given I live pretty close tonthe current one!)
I use Montegrappa ink.
It's for sale in the US too.
https://www.gouletpens.com/montegrappa-bottled-ink/c/658
AND
In this day and age you're a hero if you can write in longhand with a real pen.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #29,513 of 149,163
In terms of a EuroSchiitr, I think Berlin would be the best candidate. It's cheap (relatively), edgy, physically huge (like LA, only physically dense and filled with culture), deeply musical, fairly central, largely English-fluent, and of course Germans in general are what I might call culturally "schiit-curious." In fact, just last week I learned the difference between Scheiß and Scheiße, and am presently researching schiit expressions in German.

I should add: fluent in Norse mythology.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #29,514 of 149,163
In terms of a EuroSchiitr, I think Berlin would be the best candidate. It's cheap (relatively), edgy, physically huge (like LA, only physically dense and filled with culture), deeply musical, fairly central, largely English-fluent, and of course Germans in general are what I might call culturally "schiit-curious." In fact, just last week I learned the difference between Scheiß and Scheiße, and am presently researching schiit expressions in German.

So, Der Scheißer?

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #29,515 of 149,163
So, Der Scheißer?
That's more the person doing the schitting.

"Das Örtchen" would be nice, with Örtchen being the cute version of "Ort", i.e. place. Think "I'm going to a certain place" instead of "I'm going to the s(c)hitter".

"Latrine" would also be suitable, described by Wikipedia thusly: "can be a communal trench in the earth in a camp to be used as emergency sanitation, a hole in the ground (pit latrine), or more advanced designs, including pour-flush systems", and known as a dated, but funny term.

Or "Schitthaus"/"Schiit House", since "Scheißhaus" is universally understood as describing a room with a toilet in it. Probably the most direct translation, just more plain than playful.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #29,517 of 149,163
There's not much out there but the Mojave Desert. Which, if you haven't spent much time in a desert is interesting. I suppose there are some Joshua trees.

If you like to speed it can be done in less than 4hrs......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back