1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. valiant66
    If you put a volume control on a DAC it is no longer just a DAC since it now has an integrated preamp. Jason has clearly stated that ain't gonna happen.

2. AudioBear
    There are so many ways to control the volume post DAC that I don't know why this keeps coming up. A lowly Sys for $50 will do it. There are also many options for XLR volume controls. If one wants to run wild there are volume controls that cost in the $1000s. Integrated amps have volume controls. Pre-amps allow volume control and routing of the signal to different outputs. I think my first piece of Schiit was a Sys followed by me buying a Gumby whose output went into the Sys. It worked. Then I moved on to balanced outputs feeding an integrated amp. I'm with Jason, no volume controls on the DAC. There may be good audio reasons for not doing it but for me it's a question of making us all pay for parts and complexity we don't need. KISS.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    KoshNaranek and Ragnar-BY like this.
  3. Ragnar-BY
    Thank you, I meant a power strip like PST-8D. These are more expensive products from their higher line. I`m not sure if all those filtering would make any audible difference in my case. I understand what happens when you have a ground loop, for example. But I don`t understand how power strips could make any improvements in sound quality (like better soundstage, dynamics etc.).

4. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Here's a video on "dirty electrics".

ScubaMan2017 and liamo like this.
  5. winders
    I said the opposite. I said that people like to listen to Dylan listen to music, not equipment.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    hearditontheX likes this.
  6. winders
    Do you want to get into mud slinging? You just can't help yourself.....of course, if I might do that if I were an old curmudgeon like you.

7. Nicholas Seltzer
    Terrible. You're never supposed to turn Yggy off.

8. OldRoadToad

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    sam6550a, US Blues, barondla and 2 others like this.
  9. Nicholas Seltzer
    I tend to agree that the Rok would make the biggest difference. But now I just have a strong feeling that it has to be in line for an update. It simply needs a remote (and a unity gain setting, Jason?). At the Schiitr I tested it with my LCD-3s. Sounded absolutely magnificient. Compared to my Gumby/MjolnirLisst stack it was full of exquisite detail, especially the thumping bass. Across the spectrum it was like a veil was lifted. Incredible.

10. AudioBear
    Sorry, I must have a dyslexic brain. I read that the other way around. I guess we agree.

winders likes this.
  11. winders
    He keeps poking the bear.....

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  12. jseymour
    Talking about Dylan, let us not forget the Byrd's covers. Some of the best 60's West Coast music.

barondla, Mike Foley and OldRoadToad like this.
  13. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Of course not.
    A stupid generalization is just that.

14. Mike Foley
    +1 for The Byrds. One of my all time favourites, especially when Gene Clark was with them.

15. OldRoadToad

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018