Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 1, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #27,153 of 148,494
Actually even today one can still connect to the internet via modem...

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #27,154 of 148,494
Actually even today one can still connect to the internet via modem...

Yes. But connecting to another modem to send data point to point is not "the Internet".

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #27,157 of 148,494
Yes. But connecting to another modem to send data point to point is not "the Internet".

AOL has dial up via modem internet service available via today.

However, if you are saying in the 70's it was modem point to point that would be correct.

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #27,158 of 148,494
Long time lurker, first time posting…

In the interest of protecting equipment from sleeping cats, as well as protecting cats from being harmed by equipment: May I suggest what I have observed friends doing for their beloved felines? One friend has a heating pad for her cat to rest on; this requires a heating pad with a just warm setting; some heating pads get too hot on even the lowest setting. Other friends provided a heat lamp for their aging, arthritic pet.

While cats cannot be reasoned with, I suspect they will gravitate to a more attractive alternative. Wouldn't you find a nice, cushy heating pad more comfortable than a hard, metal surface with pointy cones?

Cheers, Jim

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #27,159 of 148,494
Thanks!!! Please do take this line of thought further. If possible, include a discussion on multi-layer communication architectures, the differences between collision detection/avoidance...

Uuuugggghhhhh!

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #27,160 of 148,494
Thanks!!! Please do take this line of thought further. If possible, include a discussion on multi-layer communication architectures, the differences between collision detection/avoidance...

Uuuugggghhhhh!
Or calling someone driving a Porsche like a 12 year old girl on high heels a racer.

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #27,161 of 148,494
Modems are not "the Internet"......

Absolutely not. The first ideas of the internet were discussed at BBN in 4/1963 about an "Intergalactic Computer Network." BBN later built the IMPs that were the original connections from the computers to the internet.

1024px-Interface_Message_Processor_Front_Panel.jpg

(Jeez, that's big.)

Anyway, the first thing attempted was a remote login that crashed on the letter "G". Stanford, IIRC, was the end node of that failed connection.

ObSchiit. Streaming lossless is trivially easy now, and hopefully it stays that way. Use an open standard, not a proprietary thing. FLAC forever!

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #27,163 of 148,494
Dec 1, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #27,164 of 148,494

In the interest of protecting equipment from sleeping cats, as well as protecting cats from being harmed by equipment: May I suggest what I have observed friends doing for their beloved felines? One friend has a heating pad for her cat to rest on; this requires a heating pad with a just warm setting; some heating pads get too hot on even the lowest setting. Other friends provided a heat lamp for their aging, arthritic pet.

While cats cannot be reasoned with, I suspect they will gravitate to a more attractive alternative. Wouldn't you find a nice, cushy heating pad more comfortable than a hard, metal surface with pointy cones?

Cheers, Jim
Welcome to Head-Fi, Jim.
You are gonna fit right in here.

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #27,165 of 148,494

Cheers, Jim
My cat loves this thing, but has avoided my Vidar so far. Still waiting for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back