Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 14, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #26,626 of 148,545
re Raspberry Pi solutions. I can report on mine which gives me great satisfaction. I have it set up as a fully independent dodad that simply sits in front of my TV in the lounge room. The very best thing about it is that my trouble and strife loves it.....which makes a bit of a change as some of my audio projects make life more difficult for others in the house aside from their creator. I made a little wooden frame and stand for it and it looks great.

I have a Pi3 loaded with Rune 0.4. Attached to this is a touch screen. I had wanted to avoid USB output so also attached onto the Pi board is a Digi plus pro board to give me a S/PDIF output to feed into my Bimby. All my music is ripped as FLAC and stored on a portable USB drive plugged directly into the Pi. The Rune interface is easy to use, especially as I have all my music organised in folders and subfolders which I find easier than searching via artist or genre.

The only issue I have is that the Digi used to pick up a glitch when I switch some nearby halogen lights on. So I'm currently using the optical output and hopefully once Rune receives it's next update it will be compatible with the new Allo Digione board which I will then purchase.

I did originally think about using an old Mac or a tablet but this freestanding system suits our family really well. Although we can control it via our phones or tablets, we usually get get off the couch and select some albums for the queue. I have also programmed a dozen web radio stations into it. Although it is possible to connect permanently to the LAN and a RAID, I just keep a couple of independent copies of the drive. Doing this again I would think about simply using the USB output and an EITR.

Great post. I've been using a Hifiberry Digi+ with Gungnir's BNC input for a few years. I often get a glitch when touching the case of the Gungnir -- just a click of the relay. Now I'm wondering if it's caused by the Hifiberry. I'd love to hear more reports comparing various RPi systems to microRendu + Gen5 USB or any other roon ready transport.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #26,627 of 148,545
Just finished an "upgrade" to my RPi3/Hifiberry Digi+ Pro/Volumnio streamer into my Yggy. I added a 75ohm BNC socket to the PCB (had to wait for 5 week delivery at a min ordering of 10, so I have plenty left) and had a custom BNC cable made (Canare BNC connectors with Canare HD-SDI cable) along with @Baldr 's recommended Neutrik BNC -> AES converter. The result is very interesting.

Both RCA/BNC-BNC sounded a bit grainy. This really stood out when listening to violin pieces like Theme from Schindler's List, or Zigeunerweisen by Mutter. In comparison, the BNC > AES connection was really smooth and coherent, there is no break off when the violin is played on different strings (low vs high). The BNC->AES connection also deepened the bass a great deal, the drum beats in Danzon No.2 is so much more enjoyable on the BNC/AES then either RCA/RCA or BNC/BNC.

I might just go for a 502DAC to try out if AES -> AES could do better magic.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #26,628 of 148,545
21DB3735-C45D-43CB-A213-DCF4C0441C60.jpeg
B

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #26,629 of 148,545
I've been contemplating the recently launched RaspTouch DigiOne Network Streamer/Player to simplify my front-end currently feeding into the EITR/GMB/MJ2 ... it would provide me with a control nearer to the audio setup AND get rid of a couple of boxes/PS's in the process... also no USB, no computer and no WiFi. Judging by reports of the Allo DigiOne, which is used in the RaspTouch, I thought that this might provide a decent S/PDIF BNC signal straight into the GMB.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netw...creen-reader-with-digital-output-p-12429.html

thumbs%20allo%20DIGIONE%2016-9.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #26,631 of 148,545
Unfortunately, I don't think so. The rise of nationalism can be seen as continuation of the collapse of the empires of the 19th century. Starting with the Ottoman empire, through the Austria-Hungarian empire and the major conflagrations of the 20th century.

Pax Britannia ended in 1945 to be temporarily replaced by Pax Americana due to external threat from the Soviet Union. Now, no one can be bothered to take leadership. We can look forward to a period of squabbling nation states.

God, I am depressing myself. I am going to go have a drink.

I've also recently become free of over six years of Pax Helena. Think I'll also have a drink or two on the weekend.

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #26,632 of 148,545
I've been contemplating the recently launched RaspTouch DigiOne Network Streamer/Player to simplify my front-end currently feeding into the EITR/GMB/MJ2 ... it would provide me with a control nearer to the audio setup AND get rid of a couple of boxes/PS's in the process... also no USB, no computer and no WiFi. Judging by reports of the Allo DigiOne, which is used in the RaspTouch, I thought that this might provide a decent S/PDIF BNC signal straight into the GMB.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/netw...creen-reader-with-digital-output-p-12429.html

thumbs%20allo%20DIGIONE%2016-9.jpg
thanks for the heads up. I hadn't seen this before. Very neat.
I see that the case is available empty......if it had of been around when I put my dodad together I would have been tempted...but the timber finish of mine fits into our decor better and it takes up less space with the Pi attached directly to the rear of the screen.

Nov 15, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #26,633 of 148,545
@kimbo ... yes, if one is DIY inclined, the RaspTouch could be built from parts provided at a saving. It is a bit austere looking ... and there are are others like the Nativ VITA that are more attractive ... but at the price and if the SQ is good ... altho' if Schiit got into the Network Player market with a disrupter product, I'm sure that would be worthy of consideration. Unlikely tho' !!

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #26,635 of 148,545
My Number 1 reason for urgently keeping up with this page has nothing to do with Schiit proper.

It's being able to read ORT's thought provoking and humorous posts in time before he deletes them!!!

Maybe they could be collected into their own thread:

ORT Happens: The Story of Head-Fi's Most Improbable Poster

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #26,636 of 148,545
My Number 1 reason for urgently keeping up with this page has nothing to do with Schiit proper.

It's being able to read ORT's thought provoking and humorous posts in time before he deletes them!!!

ORT Happens: The Story of Head-Fi's Most Improbable Poster BUYER

Fixed for you :D

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #26,638 of 148,545

ORT Happens: The Story of Head-Fi's Most Improbable Poster
If you had quoted them before they were deleted, there would have been a record of his toadishness....... :ksc75smile:

Don't go Toad. I have a frog in my throat as I contemplate this sad state of affairs.
Hop right back soon, as we would not wish to leap to conclusions of your whereabouts and welfare.
Toad Hall will not be the same in your absence.

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #26,640 of 148,545
I know there's been some RaspberryPi player/streamer/renderer discussions on here in the not too distant past. Has anyone compared different options for add-on boards that make it actually sound decent? Have heard some good things about the Allo boards, wondering if anyone has compared these to a MicroRendu or similar renderer? With Gen 5/Eitr now, some claim they hear
no difference between these RaspPi solutions and something like the MicroRendu or Sotm Sms-200. Maybe there is actually a thread for this...will look around but thought I would check with folks on here first.
I have both a microRendu+LPS-1 setup and an Allo USBridge. The difference, if any, is not much, but I need to find the time to do more tests with different downstream configurations to be sure. My wife hears a bit of an advantage for microRendu>USB>SU-1>I2S>Holo Spring over USBridge>USB>Eitr>coax>Holo Spring, but that could be from the different Spring inputs as others have pointed out. I should compare like with like, simply microRendu vs USBridge with a common downstream, but that means time and a a very patient wife (she hears better than me and she can judge without being influenced by what box is what).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back