Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 14, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #23,506 of 149,151
As far as I am aware the Minidsp DDC-22D sounds like exactly what you are looking for. FIR filters and pure digital domain.
Agreed! Thanks for pointing that out. That is a solution, as far as it goes anyway. Two channels in, two channels out. Real time room correction. Cool. I would like to see a bit more, though. Some of us want DSP crossovers for bi or multiple amplification. Others want (gasp!) tone controls like bass and treble, or custom EQ. The other minor issue is that Dirac is a closed box and most of the people out there who love good music reproduction (I'm staying away from the word "Audiophile" and possible negative connotations...) would like some input into the way the sausage gets ground. The filter in Yggdrasil requires 18,000 taps to get everything organized in the time and the frequency domains. I would have to guess that Dirac is not quite that sophisticated. Then there is the whole world of multi-channel surround, the raising of which subject is likely to draw the ire of Schiit... All I'm saying is that there is a world of possibility in taking a digital source and getting it to a set of transducers in a manner that satisfies (or at least ameliorates) the desires of high end music lovers, and there are precious few, if any, complete solutions to get us there. Yeah, I like to dream.

Thanks again for the pointer back to MiniDSP, that was a good read.

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #23,507 of 149,151
Agreed! Thanks for pointing that out. That is a solution, as far as it goes anyway. Two channels in, two channels out. Real time room correction. Cool. I would like to see a bit more, though. Some of us want DSP crossovers for bi or multiple amplification. Others want (gasp!) tone controls like bass and treble, or custom EQ. The other minor issue is that Dirac is a closed box and most of the people out there who love good music reproduction (I'm staying away from the word "Audiophile" and possible negative connotations...) would like some input into the way the sausage gets ground. The filter in Yggdrasil requires 18,000 taps to get everything organized in the time and the frequency domains. I would have to guess that Dirac is not quite that sophisticated. Then there is the whole world of multi-channel surround, the raising of which subject is likely to draw the ire of Schiit... All I'm saying is that there is a world of possibility in taking a digital source and getting it to a set of transducers in a manner that satisfies (or at least ameliorates) the desires of high end music lovers, and there are precious few, if any, complete solutions to get us there. Yeah, I like to dream.

Thanks again for the pointer back to MiniDSP, that was a good read.

I agree they might not be perfect but in my experience the benefits far outweigh the losses YMMV.

On the note of multichannel try the DDRC-88.

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #23,508 of 149,151

Attachments

• on_room_correction.pdf
    353.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #23,509 of 149,151
My first encounter with RCS was Lyngdorf and it was WOW. My search to make it affordable led me to Dirac, just as it later would lead me to Schiit. Small sweet spot? NO . You can make sofa couch or auditorium measurements. Little processor capacity? NO. All memory and processor power of your PC or Mac is available to you. I suggest to download a 14 day free trial. But you still need that special microphone to do the measurements. If you don't like it, no problem, but please don't judge on hearsay or readings. Useful information on the Dirac software design in the document and a warm recommended reading is Peter Walker's writing on the subject.

Attachments

• on_room_correction.pdf
    353.6 KB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #23,510 of 149,151
My preamp by Lyngdorf has most of the features @scottbrown5271 asked for and that's why I bought it. It also has a digital output feeding my Gumby (sublime!). Only thing it's missing is multi-channel capability but they do have a surround processor that can do that. Unfortunately, that does't have multichannel digital out. Licensing restrictions I'm sure.

My issue with most room correction is more of a fear. I have the fear that those systems make all speakers sound similar. I want to preserve the biological distinctiveness of my transducers while still eliminating the room effects. IIRC, only RoomPerfect claims to work that way.

I don't ever see Schiit offering something in the space. I'd rather they concentrate on the half-width Vidar and the upcoming turntable.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #23,511 of 149,151
Aug 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #23,512 of 149,151
So are the DIRAC boxes pure digital?
Because when I looked into the MiniDSP variety of these boxes, I figured that they do a DA-conversion on the way in and an AD-conversion on the way out again.
So I let them go because as I understood it, the signal could never be better as the one those two relatively cheap converters pass on.
So why put a nice DAC before or after them? The info on the MiniDSP site was cryptic at best so I may completely miss the point.

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #23,513 of 149,151
Does anyone know of the IR code for the Saga? I love to use my Xbox One remote to control the volume. I can input the IR code manually in the Xbox. Yes, I am one of the weirdos that love the Kinect and will continue to use it as long as possible. I have the Xbox One S, and will be getting an Xbox One X once I can pre-order it.

So far I am LOVING the sound of the Saga/Mimby/Vidar combo. At low volumes it is just sounds much clearer, and bass is definitely better overall. I only have about 15 hours on the tube, so I imagine it is only going to get better as it gets used more. I want to see how I like the stock tube before swapping in one of my RCA NOS tubes.

I bought the "high end" Monoprice RCA cables, and they are built like a tank. $15 for 1 RCA, so you need 2 for an RCA cable. Not a bad price at all for the quality that you get. Here is a link to the cable. It is part of their "Monolith" line of products, which is their high end versions of electronics.

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #23,514 of 149,151
Dirac boxes are pure digital internally because the D in DSP stands for Digital, the only place where the Sound Processing can be done.
I would not use Dirac in the analogue domain because you are right in that case it has to go through ADC and DAC.
When used in the analogue domain it is exactly the other way around from what you mentioned, it does an A to D in and D to A out, YES conversion has to be done and you're right that is not good.
You don't put a DAC before that would be a waist of a good Schiit DAC :)

You should use it in digital domain or put it behind JIL to have your records of tapes treated with RCS.

If you use it in the digital domain however there is only the DSP and digital remains digital, no conversion from digital to analogue and back.
You send the processed audio stream off to the DAC, The Gumby in my case.

Configuration is simple and very straight forward:
1 Dirac software is the output device of your digital player (I use ASIO driver)
2 Output of Dirac is the digital output of your PC in case you use software.
3 DAC is connected to the sound card of the PC

I think the 88A is causing the confusion here. It is for multi-channel home theatre use and not for digital 2 channel audio.
And this unit does A to D and D to A back again. I agree with @HumanFly , not good in your audio chain if you use a multibit 2 channel DAC like Yggy or Gumby.
The signal is compromised.

But let's get back to what MP will do. As we've learned by now it is not RCS! Thanks for that information Mike @Baldr

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #23,516 of 149,151
Contrary to what's been said here about the DDRC-88A, yes it does 8 Channels but you can listen to just two channels as I do for Stereo. The Yggy allows me to feed it the best possible analogue I can while using DSP to alter what my room does to the acoustics....It's an incredible system and it produces the finest Stereo sound I have heard in my 50 + years of appreciating the wonderful world of Music....from a Digital file server....!

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #23,517 of 149,151
Has anyone experienced any issues with their Vidar(s)? Over on the Computer Audiophile Vidar impressions forum, the site host had some pretty extreme sounding distortion issues using a variety of high end speaker cables. He then tried an old pair of Monster cables and they worked perfectly. Sounds quite odd. He has since sent them back to Schiit for testing. This is the first I've heard of any Vidar malfunctions.

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #23,518 of 149,151
Has anyone experienced any issues with their Vidar(s)? Over on the Computer Audiophile Vidar impressions forum, the site host had some pretty extreme sounding distortion issues using a variety of high end speaker cables. He then tried an old pair of Monster cables and they worked perfectly. Sounds quite odd. He has since sent them back to Schiit for testing. This is the first I've heard of any Vidar malfunctions.
I am almost certain this might be user set up incompetence.

It is all about speaker cable length and capacitance. In Mono mode, driving a 4Ohm load, I am guessing you need at least 15 feet.

It seems the cables that cause the amp to shut down, in mono mode, were 8 foot pairs. How long was the Monster cable?

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #23,519 of 149,151
I am almost certain this might be user set up incompetence.

It is all about speaker cable length and capacitance. In Mono mode, driving a 4Ohm load, I am guessing you need at least 15 feet.

It seems the cables that cause the amp to shut down, in mono mode, were 8 foot pairs. How long was the Monster cable?
The Monster cables were "about 15 feet.". I've never heard of an issue like that from monoblock amplifiers though. You're saying longer cables would be necessary in this situation?

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #23,520 of 149,151
The Monster cables were "about 15 feet.". I've never heard of an issue like that from monoblock amplifiers though. You're saying longer cables would be necessary in this situation?
Only for Mono configuration..yes. you need an 8 ohm speaker, I am betting his were not, OR longer cables....I could be off the mark, I am not betting my life on it, but this is what I determined.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back